• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 System Observation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOw. I read through. WIth all these issues is it WORTH me going 980 SLI? Should I just forget about it? I really wanted the SLI.

My vote is yes go for980 SLI of you have the money. You will be able to future proof for quite some time until the GPU make a huge leap forward in technology. Current technology is very impressive with current high resolution monitors. We have a long ways to go before 4K gaming on triple monitors becomes affordable.

As for 4K content in homes that's even further down the line because our current infrastructure isn't able to handle the bandwidth. But that's for a different topic.

This just confirms why, when I'm helping some do a build for gaming that in most cases you do not need the "best" cpu on the market. I have a bunch of rigs including the ones in my signature. While gaming I cannot see or feel any difference if I'm playing on my AMD Fx 8350 or my I7 4770k when I use the same gpu on both rigs. Down the road you may start seeing games that take advantage of 4+ core/hyper threaded/module chips so your multicore chips may be viable in the future.

I would say I generally agree I do feel when I go top end I get longer life out of the systems. But I'm not so sure its cost affective anymore.

You definitely need to sell of at least one of those if its just you and you just use one at a time for gaming. High end gaming systems have a short shelf life as is. Everyday their value goes down and your going to get less and less of what you put into it which your often lucky of you get anything back. Most of the time my old systems just get passed on for free because there not worth the hassle of selling off anymore. Not that there not worth anything but I'm extremely lazy when it comes to that kind of thing so it has to be some good money to get me off the couch heh.

I'd part out most of your titan tri sli system, move the new i7 into the water cooled case.

You definitely need to sell of at least one of those if its just you and you just use one at a time for gaming. High end gaming systems have a short shelf life as is. Everyday their value goes down and your going to get less and less of what you put into it which your often lucky of you get anything back. Most of the time my old systems just get passed on for free because there not worth the hassle of selling off anymore. Not that there not worth anything but I'm extremely lazy when it comes to that kind of thing so it has to be some good money to get me off the couch heh.

I'd part out most of your titan tri sli system, move the new i7 into the water cooled case.

Lol I feel the same way as far as lazy goes :) I just gave my nephew my oldest system Corsair 800D, 980x, Asus R3E , 2x Corsair GT 256GB in Raid 0 and 3x Evga GTX 480's all on Water Was an amazing system in its day (Still runs amazing) I'm just too damn lazy to break down the system and haggle with people for 2 months dealing with shipments etc.

I would say I generally agree I do feel when I go top end I get longer life out of the systems. But I'm not so sure its cost affective anymore.
thobel what I said doesn't apply too 100% of the people. I personally do not "need" my I7 4770k/Maximus hero see sig but I have the luxury of being able to buy myself toys like these, as do other members here yourself included. I can't list the amount of hardware I have for benching purposes old new and in between. That said I do have my first rig I built myself back in 06 and the motherboard is a Gigabyte AM2 board that was a budget board. It still runs and I had that setup in use for 6 years straight running a program I use for work nearly 24/7. My point is I do agree with you that buying upper end components will likely last longer then lower end but you will likely replace the components due to them being outdated performance wise first. There are also areas where running certain components together is just a bad idea. The group of guys that run AMD Fx 6xxx and 8xxx chips have learned that if you want to run one of these chips, especially if overclocked, budget motherboards need not apply. They require stout Vrm sections in the motherboard to run properly.

thobel what I said doesn't apply too 100% of the people. I personally do not "need" my I7 4770k/Maximus hero see sig but I have the luxury of being able to buy myself toys like these, as do other members here yourself included. I can't list the amount of hardware I have for benching purposes old new and in between. That said I do have my first rig I built myself back in 06 and the motherboard is a Gigabyte AM2 board that was a budget board. It still runs and I had that setup in use for 6 years straight running a program I use for work nearly 24/7. My point is I do agree with you that buying upper end components will likely last longer then lower end but you will likely replace the components due to them being outdated performance wise first. There are also areas where running certain components together is just a bad idea. The group of guys that run AMD Fx 6xxx and 8xxx chips have learned that if you want to run one of these chips, especially if overclocked, budget motherboards need not apply. They require stout Vrm sections in the motherboard to run properly.

I tend to upgrade as new stuff comes along myself and shuffle the parts downstream. Just moved a GTX 760 FTW into my server :)

I tend to upgrade as new stuff comes along myself and shuffle the parts downstream. Just moved a GTX 760 FTW into my server :)
I do the same sort of, I gave my little guy one my my earlier rigs, a AMD Athlon II 4400+ and when it couldn't cut it anymore while playing minecraft I gave him my 2500k/Asrock Z77 Ext 4 setup and bought the 4770k/Hero for myself :thup:

Back