• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3080 FE Memory Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

memphist0

I have noticed that when playing for extended sessions the memory temps creep up to about 100 C. I understand that is below the 110C limit where it throttles but still seems very hot. For nVidia making such an exotic cooler and PCB I am really surprised I am seeing these temps. Anyway, does anyone have a good solution for cooling the memory?

I have seen people aim fans at it but that did not seem to make a difference for me. I have seen people with AIBs replace or add thermal pads behind the backplate but that doesn't seem like it would work with the FE.

I figure I can't be the only person that has seen this and bothered by it. What have you guys come up with to tame the heat. I am really concerned what will happen when summer comes.

TIA

What happens when you take the side panel of the case off. If it runs cool , it is the ambient cooling in the case that may be the issue. If it doesn not make a diff than something is wrong with the GPU. Your temps ate at least 30C above mine, and I have 2 GPU's stacked on each other.

Oh , have you bumped the GPU's fan speed up, I have mine running 75%.

Removing the side panel off the case made no real difference in GPU or memory temps. I feel I have pretty good airflow. I bumped the fans to 75% constant and saw a couple degree drop on both.

I think yours may be running cooler since it is not a FE. I am hearing more rumblings of high memory temps with the FEs but no solutions yet.

I wasn't checking that as I don't have RTX3080 but I heard that thermal pads are pretty bad on all these cards. Users replace them with the best available pads and temps go down by ~15-20°C. The same for most RTX3080 cards.

Cooling these cards is a problem we're all dealing with. In my opinion the exotic cooler design wasn't because they wanted to but because they had no choice. Also why there is such a strong throttle built in to these cards. Water cooling seems to make the biggest difference but other that higher fan speed is about it. Another problem is cooling the back of the card. Beyond adding a second water block or replacing the backplate with something with fins then aiming a fan right at it we are pretty much SOL. I've seen a couple people use D-ram blocks like this one with pretty decent results but that takes a little customization and radiators to handle it. I'm afraid we are kind of stuck at this point.

I ended up adding thermal pads to the back of my 3080FE prior to selling it as it had trouble with the memory staying cool if I had it mining at anything less than around 80% fan speed. Made a bit of a difference, but never had a problem when gaming or anything else.

Well, yeah... these are 300W cards... last gen flagship was 250W. Makes sense.

That said, I don't have any issues with my 3080 Strix. I don't see 'strong throttling' (what do you mean by that, exactly?), or anything. I don't cool the back of the card either. I assume there are some SKUs that aren't doing the job the best they can, but these all work to their full potential out of the box. Not sure about mining, but I know gaming these didn't have many (any?) issues. :thup:

I haven't had a problem with it either but I'm running it stock and letting the boost do everything because I'm lazy and to be perfectly honest a little scared the thing will die if I push it. Not sure if its the right term but that's what I consider it. I mean how the card limits the clock and power based on heat like the 3000 series do. For example when we overclock using the 500w BIOS the card still limits our power draw and clocks because of heat.

That's how NV GPUs have worked for a couple/few generations now. Their clocks/boost algos are based on power and temperatures. I don't think they are any more fragile than previous generations using the same technology. :thup:

They may not be more fragile but we are much more limited in this generation. Granted I came from the 900 series to the 3000 but with all my reading these things are limited quite a bit more than I'm used to. Not that these monsters need any overclocking anyways with all the power they offer stock. ;)

Right, you're coming from 3 generations back where it IS different. But since the 1000 series a few years back, that's how it has been. :)

Replacing the thermal pads should give you a significant drop in temps.

The Fujipoly Ultra Extreme XR are expensive but the best at thermal conductivity of 17 W/mK

The Thermalright are good too, less expensive but at 12.8 W/mK

I don't suggest going all the way to Fujipoly. They are way too expensive.
Gelid Extreme and Ultimate on the other hand are perfect for this. Check out the huge drop in temps I got:

Back