• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance not great - 3900x & 3080 FE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I just did an recent ITX upgrade build:
CPU: 3900x (cooled with 280mm AIO Corsair H115i capellix)
GPU: 3080 FE
Mobo: Asus Crosshair Impact XIII ITX X570
RAM: 32GB G Skill DDR4-4000
PSU: 750W Corsair SF750 ITX

While playing PUBG on a fresh Windows install I am not seeing anywhere near the performance others are getting. I am seeing little improvement from the 2080 Super I had before, which makes me feel like somethings off on my processor.
Temps are fine, 55C CPU, 70C GPU so its not throttling.

1) Can anybody recommend any benchmark tools that I can run and compare results to others with a 3900x & 3080 to see if its just PUBG that has the issues, or if I am seeing problems across everything?

2) Is my RAM too fast? I am reading somewhere that I am decoupled from the infinity fabric 1:1...or is this really a non-issue?

Do you have other games handy to compare to? PUBG isn't really graphically intensive, what was the previous build details?

Do you have other games handy to compare to? PUBG isn't really graphically intensive, what was the previous build details?

My sig is the prior one. CPU was the only thing that carried over and I upgraded the GPU to the 3080, the rest was upgraded to simply fit inside the ITX case.

I have Red Dead Redemption 2 which I believe has a benchmark tool, maybe I will try that.

I just ran PCMark10 and scored 7,275, which seems like its scored OK. https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/1348065
Maybe my 3900x has an issue with the PUBG game?

I wouldn't be surprised for PUBG to be a bit CPU limited going from 2080 to 3080. RDR2 and any benchmark should show a marked improvement.

I wouldn't be surprised for PUBG to be a bit CPU limited going from 2080 to 3080. RDR2 and any benchmark should show a marked improvement.
I guess I can survive until the release of a 5900x 3d cache. The games smooth, so this is a first world problem, but I mean I spent all the money to try and basically max out 165fps at all times, and feels like I wasted my money...

Also those I play with in the game who also have a 3900x and 3060ti's/3070 are reporting they have higher FPS at the same resolution, so I'm lost on why I have issues.

I play PUNG... too much. It's not well optimized, really. 12909k and 3080 Ti at 1440p can't really peg 144 FPs/Mhz.

I play PUNG... too much. It's not well optimized, really. 12909k and 3080 Ti at 1440p can't really peg 144 FPs/Mhz.

See thats the thing - others are pegging 144 at all times with less powerful systems...

Last edited:
They must have different settings or something. As I said, a 12900k and 3080ti doesn't peg me to 144 (ultra @ 2560x1440)). If you're playing at 1080p trying for 165, a 5000 series cpu or intel would be the best call as it's notably faster than 3000 series.

Also, it's a MP game and tough to benchmark with any consistency. But what fps are you getting??

Running ram on amd at 1:2 may be causing the issue. Try it at 3600 1:1 and see if that helps. For 1:2 to be as fast/faster you really need much higher memory speeds.

They must have different settings or something. As I said, a 12900k and 3080ti doesn't peg me to 144 (ultra @ 2560x1440)). If you're playing at 1080p trying for 165, a 5000 series cpu or intel would be the best call as it's notably faster than 3000 series.

Also, it's a MP game and tough to benchmark with any consistency. But what fps are you getting??

Running ram on amd at 1:2 may be causing the issue. Try it at 3600 1:1 and see if that helps. For 1:2 to be as fast/faster you really need much higher memory speeds.

I've set it to 3600, but how can I know its running 1:1?

so here's the use during the game. I mean its hitting 80-90%....looks like a bottleneck to me? Even if others are telling me their 3900x runs fine, maybe there is an issue with my processor and its needing to work harder?

CPUuse-X2.jpg

I've set it to 3600, but how can I know its running 1:1?
The same way you found out your 4000 kit was 1:2? CPUz memory tab shows you.

When in game, is your gpu use at or really close to 99%?

What resolution? mjH64YYWhFEoMuQivCurKf-1280-80.png

Attachments

• Uqr5v4KLCp69twSmfuF78i-1280-80.png
    Uqr5v4KLCp69twSmfuF78i-1280-80.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'll check my gpu use tonight.

What resolution are you playing at? Settings?

1440p, everything else doesn't make a difference whether I go very low or Ultra, FPS pretty much stays the same, hence why its leading me down this CPU bottleneck route because it would explain.

The part I don't get is someone else today I spoke with who has a 3900x pulled up his utilization and says PUBG was about 30% on the logical cores, whereas mine as you can see above is 80-90%+...

RAM specs now after swapping to 3600 and DCOP in the BIOS:
RAMspec-S.jpg

You're running 1:1 now. :)

Your image shows about 20% CPU use. PUBG typically pegs one core 100% and uses several others. Close to what you're seeing.

oK... 1440P @ ULTRA = 60-65% GPU (3080ti) use with 12900K. Sorry.. thought it had this one pegged. CPU use for me is pretty low... still one thread pegged.. but since its alder lake, it likes to jump around cores.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Just a different thought. I do not have any of the stuff mentioned ( I do have the memory ) BUT could this be because of different versions of Windows or Drivers??

Sorry if I missed it, but are you running Windows 10 or 11? I read there was some sort of AMD bug in 11 that needed to be patched - I think with just using Windows Update.

Corrected: AMD released a patch for Win11.

Right. AMD/W11 performance issue was patched several weeks ago. So long as the OP is getting updates, it should already be there. :)

Im honestly not convinced there is a problem here. We have no idea of the actual FPS (did I miss it?). Also this being a difficult game to benchmark with any consistency (no integrated and it's only a MP game), I'm just not sold there is an issue with the information we have so far. There's still some questions for the OP.......

Last edited:
Back