• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3090 backplate and riser cable heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luno papi

Registered
IÂ’m concerned with my riser cable touching the backplate while the 3090 is mining that the temps may melt the riser cable. Was thinking about grabbing some of that heat shield from a car enthusiast shop to barrier the riser cable from the heat. Back plate memory getting to the 90Â’s C (200F). How much heat can the riser handle? Thoughts?

IMG_7514.jpg

Riser is jammed in with orientation of two GPUÂ’s vertical mounted in the loop

Not sure of your ribbon cable model. I had a x16 cable that had a 4 pin molex power plug. It was above a air cooled gtx-970 and got to close. The power plug popped of the cable that powered another gtx-970 and shorted out the card. I had 2 cards on the board and 2 cards on cables above them for better air flow (4 cards total). If itÂ’s just a cable (x16) from MB to card, then there should be no problem. If it has glued power connectors, I would fix them with something more :)

Not sure of your ribbon cable model. I had a x16 cable that had a 4 pin molex power plug. It was above a air cooled gtx-970 and got to close. The power plug popped of the cable that powered another gtx-970 and shorted out the card. I had 2 cards on the board and 2 cards on cables above them for better air flow (4 cards total). If itÂ’s just a cable (x16) from MB to card, then there should be no problem. If it has glued power connectors, I would fix them with something more :)

I threw in some heat shield and some heat sinks too, managed to actually drop the back memory temp a couple degrees will work on getting more airflow in there to help as well. ItÂ’s just the x16 ribbon cable from lian li to run the 3090 at full pcie4 as it is my gaming rig that mines with the 3090 and a 3070 when not gaming

While the backplates can get very warm, there is no way it will melt the insulation on the ribbon cable. Since you're already custom watercooled an ideal situation would be to buy an active water block for the backplate.

While the backplates can get very warm, there is no way it will melt the insulation on the ribbon cable. Since you're already custom watercooled an ideal situation would be to buy an active water block for the backplate.

IÂ’ve strongly considered this I doubt I have space to add the block as the riser is already jammed in there. With most tests IÂ’ve seen done while under mining loads back plates for the 3090 exceed 100c (212f). IÂ’ve seen that adding ek active back plate could drop it to 64c (147f). Which is ridiculously impressive. Under a full mining load now though IÂ’m not exceeding 88c which IÂ’m happy with for the longevity of the card Atleast. But The active backplate is a clear indicator of the use for these damn cards.

For reference under full mining load,
loop runs at 34c
3090 gpu temp 42c memory 88c
3070 GPU temp 41c memory 60c
Cpu 40c

Just epic how much heat the back of the 3090 gets compared to the 3070!

Oh for sure!

I don't have the memory temp sensor on my 3070 but the GPU temp runs at 43°c so it's fair to say my memory is within a few degrees of yours.

The reason the 3090 heats up so much more is the GDDR6X vs std GDDR6 memory...and more of it. LOL It's entirely a different beast. Did you do the thermal paste/pad swap? I've read reports of up to a 15°c temp drop from this.

Oh for sure!

I don't have the memory temp sensor on my 3070 but the GPU temp runs at 43°c so it's fair to say my memory is within a few degrees of yours.

The reason the 3090 heats up so much more is the GDDR6X vs std GDDR6 memory...and more of it. LOL It's entirely a different beast. Did you do the thermal paste/pad swap? I've read reports of up to a 15°c temp drop from this.

I used ekÂ’s pads for the back plate as different sizes to what I have in slightly better pads sitting around. Usually IÂ’ve never had a drama with ekÂ’s provided pads though. ItÂ’s definitely getting to the backplate thatÂ’s for sure touching it you canÂ’t keep a finger on it for more than a couple seconds without flinching away. Impressive though adding about 8 by 3x3cm heat sinks on the back actually helped drop the temp by Atleast a few degrees 92-88. Rooms always airconÂ’d at 24c if it wasnÂ’t in an air conditioned room IÂ’d be getting worried for its temps running in the heat I have here (summer atm and can get to 40c days)

Just never really paid attention to the temp of the memory till I checked the riser was doing ok and got concerned. Just never seen a backplate get so hot as these monsters of cards

Back