• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32GB (2x16GB) for a Ryzen 3600X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst99

Hi, I'm looking at getting a 32GB (2x16GB) Ram kit for my R5 3600X. I found two at Microcenter that that looks interesting and is in my price range:

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 16-18-18-38 Dual Channel Desktop $149.99
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL 16-19-19-39 CL16 Dual Channel Memory Kit $178.99

If anyone could good give advice at which one would be better for the R5 3600X? I also have a Gigabyte RX 5700 I don't plan to overclock the CPU much. Thanks!

David

Last edited:
Part of me says the 3600 kit is the ideal speed for the CPU, but part of me says the 1% FPS difference dropping to 3200 is not worth $40. What motherboard do you have? Have you checked the QVL for that motherboard to see if either kit is listed? (Not being listed does not mean it will not work, only that it has or has not been tested) You could also check the compatibility on G.Skill website https://www.gskill.com/configurator. Again this isn't a 100% will or will not work list, just what has been tested. However if one kit is on either list I would see that as a mark in favor of it.

davidst99, I think you have a typo in your first line when you say "64gb (2x16)". Either that or you need to brush up on your math.

Part of me says the 3600 kit is the ideal speed for the CPU, but part of me says the 1% FPS difference dropping to 3200 is not worth $40. What motherboard do you have? Have you checked the QVL for that motherboard to see if either kit is listed? (Not being listed does not mean it will not work, only that it has or has not been tested) You could also check the compatibility on G.Skill website https://www.gskill.com/configurator. Again this isn't a 100% will or will not work list, just what has been tested. However if one kit is on either list I would see that as a mark in favor of it.

Thanks for th G.Skill link. I purchased a Asrock X570M Pro motherboard.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Thanks for catching my mistake. I mean 2 sticks of 16GB.

David

I think that both memory kits will run fine. There are pretty much no problems with memory kits on ASRock X570 motherboards up to at least DDR4-4200. Actually, they're overclocking better and cause fewer problems than Intel 300/400 series motherboards.

Back