• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360 failure rates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Ok, while this may form to be a controversial thread I'm interested in polling the o/c forum members too see the failure rates of your 360's. If you look at the official 360 forums they are littered with 360 failures, and based solely on thier forums alone you could easily speculate that failure rates are around 10-15% of every console sold.

Basically I'm looking to personally interpret the longevity of the 360, not for flaming purposes but mainly for personal research purposes, so please keep this civil and include when you purchased the console, how long it's lasted, how many average hours a week it was used etc.. many thanks.

I'll start: Bought at launch, 1.5 years old, average of 60 hrs a week use, died two days ago, kept in the same environment as my pc (a/c temp controlled room, no obstructions etc).

this should be a poll...I agree the 360 seems to be the problem child of this generation...although the Wii and PS3 haven;t been out nearly as long and don;t have as many units out there to fail but I have not heard much of any use of these failing.

mines keep scratching the disks to the point were it cant be read and when my 360 gets some what hot it just freezes and an AC is behind it

just over a year old used quite alot dvds every night in bed and games everyday and still going strong odd freeze nothing big. Amazingly even oblivion doesnt hang up for me and thats common

Got mine in janauary 07 sent it back cos the DVD drive was making a noise but it's still working and slightly less noisy. I suppose you couldn't call that a failure but the telephone number I need is blue-takd to my table in case it does stuff up.

Of all the people I personally know that have a 360, not one of them has had problems. Maybe getting warmer then they would like, but no red rings or bad drives. Most of them have had theirs since launch.

Mine died just over a year after I got it. The problem was not due to heat, it was a bad drive. I would say that the failure rate is much higher than 15%, perhaps even as high as %40. Before you go hating on MicroSoft though, Sony has had more than their share of problems with the PS1 and PS2. Nintendo is the only console maker still in business that hasn't had massive issues with any one console. No, the cartridge slot on the original NES doesn't count, because it was caused by people not caring for their system, not cleaning it and then oxydizing the metal by blowing on it.

I just recently got an xbox360 a month and a half ago. The first one i got started artifacting really bad after 2 days. I took it back to the store and they swapped me to a new one and this one has been working fine since. We'll see how it goes. :shrug:

I got mine early February of '06, still works great. I think it's only crashed once or twice the entire time I've had it. Same thing for one of my friends.

Seriously, if it's dying, and it's in a cabinet, how about you, oh, I don't know, take it out of the cabinet? :rolleyes:

I want to chime in and say my PS3 has been folding for 50 days straight >_>

As soon as Halo 3 comes out I'm getting a 360 though :p
Worried about the ring of death myself.

Base on a poll at another site, the failure rate seems to be about 1 in 3, which is pretty high. Luckily mine has been running fine since December.

Back