• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360 failure rates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NsOmNiA91130 said:
Really, as long as you're not totally retarded about the placement of the 360, it shouldn't die. I also recommend turning on the 6 hour shutoff.

I used to think this as well until my 360 which is sitting in wide open spaces in the horizontal position had its' dvd-drive crap out for no reason whatsoever, other than just being a defective/bum unit.

I've sold plenty of 360's working for Gamestop and I get to hear all of the complaining when systems die. As Fr3@k3r said, if you don't have the system on it's side (not upright), it will cause circular scratches that make discs unreadable. There is a similar problem that affected first-gen PS2's. One of the big causes of death for the 360 is obviously heat-related failure. Hopefully this problem has been solved because I believe the newer systems are using 65nm CPUs in comparison to the launch 90nm. Here's a bit of advice: don't spend money on the after-market coolers because they are useless and they can void your warranty. If you really want to guarantee the longevity of your system, be prepared to do some home modifications.

Valkillmore said:
I've sold plenty of 360's working for Gamestop and I get to hear all of the complaining when systems die. As Fr3@k3r said, if you don't have the system on it's side (not upright), it will cause circular scratches that make discs unreadable. There is a similar problem that affected first-gen PS2's. One of the big causes of death for the 360 is obviously heat-related failure. Hopefully this problem has been solved because I believe the newer systems are using 65nm CPUs in comparison to the launch 90nm. Here's a bit of advice: don't spend money on the after-market coolers because they are useless and they can void your warranty. If you really want to guarantee the longevity of your system, be prepared to do some home modifications.

huh so you mean if the console is standing up its better? i thought it was the other way around

I took what hes said as it should lay on its side. Though the double-negative sentence was a bit confusing.

Honestly I really think that the newer Elite consoles are built much better. I have an Elite with the BENQ DVD drive, and it is perfect in almost every way. My biggest issue with my older 360 was the disc drive, but this one purrs like a kitten. I think that, over time, Microsoft's vendors have managed to refine their process a bit. I'd agree that some of the older consoles have been sketchy, but I'd imagine that many of the newer sets are built better.

deception``

I bought one last Nov 06 on Black Friday, the optical drive turned out to be bad. I was slow about getting it replaced to be 100% sure it was the drive but when I did it went very smooth in my opinion (Paid Shipping/Fast Turn Around).

The one they replaced mine with works perfect plus they gave me a 1 month free xbox live card. I think failure rates are a bit higher then other consoles on launch 360 units. Oh well

Too bad the Elite is overpriced junk except for a tiny niche of people.

When I get my 360 no way is it staying like I bought it :attn:
Also thinking about buying a cheap used 360...

Knock on wood, my 360 bought about 4 months ago is still running string, got the lame cooler on the back, but the only thing that bugs the hell out of me is the loudness of the drive. If i have it down on its back it seems to be quieter, if i have it standing up it seems to be louder. Go figure.

OCnewbee said:
Knock on wood, my 360 bought about 4 months ago is still running string, got the lame cooler on the back, but the only thing that bugs the hell out of me is the loudness of the drive. If i have it down on its back it seems to be quieter, if i have it standing up it seems to be louder. Go figure.

If it's the intercooler, beware. It made my 360 which has NEVER had heat issues start to artifact. I took the thing off in less than 2 days as it did the exact opposite as what it was supposed to. It made it run hotter.

FudgeNuggets said:
If it's the intercooler, beware. It made my 360 which has NEVER had heat issues start to artifact. I took the thing off in less than 2 days as it did the exact opposite as what it was supposed to. It made it run hotter.

I've heard those things do more damage then good

Also I forgot to add in that this replacement console they gave me runs a lot more quite/cooler, but it is a different optical drive and much new manufacturer date.

opened 1st 360 xmas 06, exchanged in jan 07 for being excessively noisy, second unit exchanged feb 07 for unreadable disk errors. Today my third unit actually died with the pretty 3 red lights. with the green and red lights it could be a xmas decoration?

Anyhow gonna see if CC will exchange it again since I bought the 2 year warranty, I don't want to have to send it in and wait 2 weeks.

My friend sent his back 5 weeks ago and it's still waiting for it his gamertag on my friends list says 29 days and counting. He sent it back because it was on it's last legs and everything was waiting to fail, by the 3rd week it didn't arrive back in the usual 15 day wait so he got a free game Viva Pinata cause he had the rest. I've borrowed it off him and finished the achievements for it anyways on Monday last week I rang up for him.

They said it was waiting to be picked up should arrive by Thursday waited....... nothing....waited till weekend..... nothing. Rang them back I had to wait till Monday as they requested me to ring back in 48hrs so I did and they said the same thing waiting to be picked up by UPS.

And he's still waiting as off right now.

Bought mine sealed NIB off of Ebay in early Jan 06 with the free DVD remote and it was a launch system. I play it anywhere from 3 to 5 hours a week regularly and it has never had any problems. Runs like a champ. I normally run it laying flat, but I used to have it on its side for the first 5 months or so and it still never had any issues. It's never been in a cabinet. Always runs in an open TV stand. No artifacts and never any freezing. I think I just got lucky. I always think the 'failing 360' poles are a little biased. Either only people with broken 360's are answering (as there is no reason for someone with a working system to go on a message board and complain) or people who don't even own a 360 and just looking to troll.

FudgeNuggets said:
I used to think the same thing until mine broke....... Mine was a dead DVD drive though not any heat issues.

And I'll probably think the same thing until mine breaks :) But As far as reliability goes, my 360 has been much better than past Sony experiences (I still bought a PS3 for some reason though :confused: )

Back