• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360 or PS3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would pay the most attention to what games you like. And, if your family/friends play on Live, that might be a big thing, too.

Particularly since you don't already have a HDTV, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Blu-Ray unless you expect to get one fairly soon. If you don't get one until a good while later, prices will be down on standalone players and even PC drives...you might end up reasonably interested in those avenues.

Don't even bother with either until you get the TV. LCD and Plasma prices are dropping 25% this month, have already seen it on some Samsung and Phillips sets.

This thread topic comes up about once a week. I personally think that... at this stage in console evolution... the balance is tipped towards PS3. It has a larger capacity media player (which will be increasingly relevant in the coming months), you can upgrade the hard drive with any laptop hard drive and still come out cheaper than a 360 elite (and with a bigger, better drive), you can fold with it, watch bluray movies, install linux, use it as a web browser... it's a really long list.

A year ago it would've made more sense to have a 360 (I know this because I had a 360 a year ago). But microsoft is preparing to either go bluray or add an even BIGGER hard drive that will cost you another 200 bucks if you buy it separately.

So I'd go with the cheaper (MUCH cheaper since once you tack on that one year live membership it's $500 total the first year, $550 the second year... and so on) PS3 option. I think these consoles, at the rate of tech advancement, only have another 2 or 3 years left anyway.

I tend to agree with you. I usually steer my friends to a PS3.

How do you think this will change the game though?
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/05/xbox-360-overhaul-come-august

ps3 make more sense right now, you are pretyy much spending 400 on a blu-ray player, so why not get a ps3 which has a br player in it and game console functionality. i am buying a ps3 soon as i get a new tv + ps3 has FREE online gaming where as you need to subscribe to live for the 360.

...It should be noted though that if games is your biggest concern both systems have their own exclusives and maybe you should look at those.

360: if you like shooters they have Gears of War, Halo 3, and Gears of War 2 none of those will come to anything else but 360.

PS3: it's big exclusives are Grand Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy. So you have racing, stealth action, jRPG. Of course there are always rumors of MGS4 comming to 360.....and it;s been confirmed today there will be a Bluray 360 by this fall.

it;s been confirmed today there will be a Bluray 360 by this fall.

Please post a link. If you are referring to a Chinese manufacturing company securing the deal to manufacturing the Blu-ray Xbox360, MS has already made an announcement and deny that rumor.

Quoted from the link above:

Rumors began to swirl and many began to expect Microsoft to announce a Blu-ray peripheral for the XBOX 360.
It's an attachment (add-on like the HD-DVD drive), if MS is to start producing Blu-ray drives. It is not going to be a buildin blu-ray 360.

However, Microsoft came out and denied all rumors, stating that they were not exploring any kind of Blu-ray add-on or in talks with Sony about integrating Blu-ray into the XBOX experience.
Like I said, MS has denied the rumors.

Don't even bother with either until you get the TV. LCD and Plasma prices are dropping 25% this month, have already seen it on some Samsung and Phillips sets.

I have an awesome TV right now with component inputs, its just not a high def.

I have seen the PS3 hooked to a cheapy HDTV set and it looked good considering how cheap the TV was. I have no problem picking up a half way decent LCD TV for this system (been wanting one for a while so this is the excuse I can use on the old lady).

I have an awesome TV right now with component inputs, its just not a high def.

I have seen the PS3 hooked to a cheapy HDTV set and it looked good considering how cheap the TV was. I have no problem picking up a half way decent LCD TV for this system (been wanting one for a while so this is the excuse I can use on the old lady).

The difference was that it was an HDTV. The games look like PS2 games at 480p/i.

The difference was that it was an HDTV. The games look like PS2 games at 480p/i.

Actually I've been playing on my uncle's SDTV (over hear babysitting now) and it doesn't look THAT bad. The difference on an HDTV is like night and day, but you can still tell that it's something the PS2 wouldn't have been able to pull off.

Actually I've been playing on my uncle's SDTV (over hear babysitting now) and it doesn't look THAT bad. The difference on an HDTV is like night and day, but you can still tell that it's something the PS2 wouldn't have been able to pull off.

Must be me then because when I download a demo or when I rented F-1 and it downscaled it to 480p, I was like YUCK! It's a friggin PS2 game!

Back