• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3600 CL14 kit for Ryzen 5000 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sambisu

Registered
I am working on a new build with an AMD 5800X CPU and was looking for a DDR4-3600 CL14 memory kit.

I ordered two of these 2x8GB kits, but I'm not entirely sure they will work. One of my questions is can I just stick two of these together to make a 4x8GB kit?
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...oDDR4-3600MHz-CL14-15-15-35-1.45V16GB-(2x8GB)

They have a similar 4x8GB kit (https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1569304123/F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB-Qvl) but the QVL for that one doesn't list any support for 5000 series CPUs.

My other question/concern has to do with my motherboard. I was only able to snag the 5800X in a combo off Newegg with an Gigabyte Aorus Elite (https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite/p/N82E16813145160?Item=N82E16813145160). Gigabyte doesn't appear to have any memory support lists yet for 5000 series CPUs.

Any recommendations?

Anything on the 3000 series should work on 5000 series..nkt much has changed at all. You can use 2 of the same kit without issue most of the time.

Ryzen 5000 is about the same as Ryzen 3000 so you can check that QVL. A lot depends on the motherboard and BIOS, and so far not every motherboard has perfect support. As always AMD failed to release a fully stable and problem-free BIOS for its CPU premiere. Some vendors fixed what they could in the first days so it should be fine now but I wasn't testing Gigabyte so I'm not sure what about their motherboards.
2 kits may work together but it's not always a rule. In the worst case, some little adjustments will be required.
Since you already ordered two 2x8GB kits, then just wait and see how it works.
Every other motherboard that I can recommend costs close to $300. On the other hand, DDR4-3600 is nothing special nowadays so every popular brand should support it and if you don't want to run any weird settings above DDR4-4400 then all should be fine.

Here is the RAM list for your board https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite_matisse.pdf

"Matisse" meaning Zen 2 (3000 series), but as EarthDog said, I'd be surprised if RAM they supported for use on Zen 2 won't be supported on Zen 3.

BTW that last was last updated less than 2 months ago. (Oct 6th)

EDIT: Your RAM linked above, I can not find on the QVL list. (GSkill 3600C14D) But that doesn't mean it won't work just fine! I'm running RAM that wasn't on my motherboards QVL list, and absolutely zero issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! Guess I will just cross my fingers and hope this combo works. I am not opposed to spending more on a motherboard - this isn't the one I wanted but it came as a combo with the CPU so thought I would go with it. Really wanted an ASUS Strix 570-E.

I'll put it this way; I'd be quite surprised if it didn't work. :)

Please post back and let us know how it works out, that way if someone finds this via search & has the same question they can know how it worked out.

btw this worked just fine.

But trying to overclock the RAM has given me some issues. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I tried bumping up from 3600 to 3800 with the same timings and for some reason the scores in Maxxmem2 actually went down.

That looks like some solid RAM. The reason your score went down probably has something to do with the infinity fabric ratios. Someone else can probably explain this better. CL14 3600 MHz should offer you pretty good performance though even if you can't push it. You could try tightening timings but staying at 3600 MHz, that might be faster anyway. Or leave it stock.

Yea it's great RAM and the performance on the XMP profile is more than adequate. But I've never overclocked RAM and just wanted to play with it.

Maxxmem is an old benchmark and can't really show performance on new platforms. The best for synthetic tests is AIDA64. You can also use something like Geekbench or simply use internal Windows test -> winsat -mem from command prompt. This will show you how the OS sees your memory performance. Some games have built-in benchmark and some of them react to memory speed. Something like Final Fantasy XV benchmark, even though results are not much different, then will react to memory speed. Usually up to 50-100 points.

Like Ben333 suggested, when I ran my memory at 3800Mhz I had to force my fabric clock to 1900, it always defaulted to 1800. This causes an inconsistent ratio for the fabric to memory clock and this is not optimal for AMD. If you wanted to explore it, you could a try reconfiguring your BIOS to run the fabric clock at 1900 and redo your Maxmemm2 tests.

Looks like you can OC the memory from Ryzen Master which has a function to lock the memory and fabric clocks together.

Back