• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3DMark2k1 Won't run at all with my vid. cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsycoPhreak

Ok, maybe someone can help here.

Being that I'm not so much into bechmarks and stuff, I rarely, if ever, use any programs for them unless I find a reason to see if my systems are performing as well as they are suposed to, Anyway, I installed 3dmark 2k1 on my system to see just how far my current videocard has fallen behind in the "rat race". ( VooDoo 5 5500, I know I need a new card, but until I make my mind up about which card to get....between an ATI 8500 or a GF3 ti500, i'm stickin with my trusty 3dfx )

Here's the prob:

I install 3DMark2k1 no problem, and it starts up no problem, but, i try and run the demo or the benckmark and I constantly get an "out of video memory" error.

Now I know i'll get a ton of responses asking what drivers I'm using what settings the card is at, so forth and so on....I have tried ALL the drivers available, card at stock settings, fresh installs of OS (Win Me, Win 98, 98 SE...won't run win 2k on my gaming systems) directx 8.1, 8.0....have tried everything BEFORE emailing MadOnion (even reading their FAQ) with absolutely no luck, they can't figure it out and respond with their usual "its a problem with your system".

Now I know I don't have any probs with my system or the V5 seeing that I have no problems with any games I run ( weather in glide, direct 3d or GL mode) I know the card isn't overheating ( ripped off the crappy stock HS's and replaced em with lapped Blorb's) Basically, the system is solid as a rock, but this damn 3dMark2k1 just won't run....3dmark 2k runs quite well, what could I possibly have missed?

I'll be able to live with not running the stupid thing, but now i'm determined to to get a damn score...:D because everything I've ever thrown at any of MY systems has always run without a hitch... until now :( there goes my perfect record, and i'm not about to let that happen :D

Seriously though, i'm baffled by the inability to run this damn thing, and any input would be appreciated....

Thanks for the response,

I'v set the AGP aperature from 4 all the way up to max, but its a moot point seeing the V5 doesn't utilize the Agp aperature at all.

still no go though, I've got a bunch of 3dfx cards and 3dmark2k1 runs on all of them except for the V5's I have ( yup, i'm a 3Dfx nut/collector, i'm trying to get ALL of their cards, waiting on a source of mine who claims he can get me a Voodoo 6000, although I highly doubt it, but he has come through before on things I thought were impossible ).
I'm starting to think that maybe its some compatabiltiy issue between 3dM2k1 and the VSA100's, I'm going to try running in Single chip mode, thats the only thing I have left to try, maybe its the digital SLI the gpu's utilize on the card, I dunno, :eh?: but i'm willing mess around with this just a bit longer...

I have the Xtasy 5564 and I get the same error message as you do. On the card I have 64m.b. Sdram and for the system have 256m.b.`s of PC2100 DDR. I hope someone can help.

Well, I have 384Mb in the system I'm trying to run 3DM2k1, so memory isn't a problem.

A friend of mine has a V5 also, and I asked him to DL the program and give it a try, worked fine for him, still a no go for me even in single chip mode.

I'm sure eventually the problem will be figured out and I appreciate all the responses so far...Thanks people..

Oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:D

:EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have read all the FAQ's till my eyes were red and watery, :D Still not a clue what can be the culprit...

Last edited:
FWIW, Could just be a bad/corrupted d/l. I'm on cable & still it took about 8 tries b4 I got a clean d/l. I'd get to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, &tc., benchmark demo & get a corrupt file warning/dead end.

Back