• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.3Gig P4 seen as 31MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d]g[ts

got this P4 3.2E running at 4320 but windows wont see that speed, only reads 31 MHz. does same in sandra, and causes that to give iroeous results.
PC is stable at these speeds. can run SuperPI properly, 3Dmark testing goes without error. but prime seems to fly doing iterations way too fast.

I Have seen glimpses of this issue with windows, but have not found any workaround. Can anyone Point me in the right direction to fix this?

d]g[ts said:
got this P4 3.2E running at 4320 but windows wont see that speed, only reads 31 MHz. does same in sandra, and causes that to give iroeous results.
PC is stable at these speeds. can run SuperPI properly, 3Dmark testing goes without error. but prime seems to fly doing iterations way too fast.

I Have seen glimpses of this issue with windows, but have not found any workaround. Can anyone Point me in the right direction to fix this?
Yes, I have problems too at 4400. Vapochill reports like 111MHz, and have you noticed that Mozilla freaks out? The icons go 1000MPH and refresh on Web sites is so quick you can't read them! I have weird prime Results, but they are way too slow, not too fast.

Everything is OK <4300, Vapo reports correctly, no more Mozilla problems.

Same thing happened with a 3.4 I was trying out. :confused:

Dont use mozilla, but prime benchmark results are slow. When i do torture test, the test just fly by doing over 100 per minute. GOt screenie here to show. Also dont use vapo software, but pretty sure it would show same as "MY COMPUTER" does.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 425
ever ran prime on a p3? it does the same, different tests for different cpu/speed. ive read about this before, something about windows not liking speeds above 4.XGhz or something like that. I'm not sure if there is a fix for this or not, what SP are you using?

SP1 i use, dont realy wanna go to SP2 unless i have to, and would be sure it fixed it.
TO me this issue sucks cus i cant use sandra to compare where i am with this intel to where i was with my AMD 64 rig.
And thanks cus that explains why it would go flying though them at 4.3 and up

Do you have a spare harddrive? If so you could install windows w/ sp2 and see if that fixes it.

--Josh

very viable option. might try after christmas. Hopfully someone could chime in and say if they have issue with SP2 also, but i realize that 4.3 gig + is not as common as I would like right now ;)

SP2 will fix the issue. It because of a 32-bit limitation, so from around 4295 Mhz, Windows just starts counting from zero again.

I had the same experience a few months before SP2 came out, and It was really annoying, because there was no fix. And it's not only Prime & SiSandra that don't work, a lot of games do not work properly either. Thay act rather like prime.

Attachments

• Clock_SS_4423.JPG
    Clock_SS_4423.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 369
Thank very Much. Guess i'll go ahead and do the upgrade, now that i have reason. :thup:
Also doing well so far, as I just had to give it it's first voltage bump. And downloading SP2 ATM

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Just installed SP2. Yep, it worked, Mozilla no longer freaks out (one thing that sucked is that the refreshes on Mozilla-rendered Web pages were sped up so fast you couldn't read them, because they would refresh every 10 seconds).

The one exception is VapoChill Control Panel - it still reports 45 MHz. :(

I'll post something in the Asetek support forums about that one. :-/

Thanks for the tip, though. :beer:

hooah, some nice overclocks in this thread, - i'm the slowest guy in here, something i wouldnt expect :O. I would give a quick google or something to see if there is a fix without using sp2 might be worth doing. :)

[BBE]Jimbob said:
hooah, some nice overclocks in this thread, - i'm the slowest guy in here, something i wouldnt expect :O. I would give a quick google or something to see if there is a fix without using sp2 might be worth doing. :)
Did a lot of googling yesterday about this to no avail. Only got hits from an inquirer article, and loads of other crap.

SP2 Aint so bad so far, but only got about an hour into itbefore i had to visit family. Lastly I need to give the V a bump, cus prime gave me a lockup earlier.But have some confidence this will stabilize here at this speed.

uclajd: sorry to hear about the vapo still screwing up speeds. I Never even installed the control panel for it, and the display on mine usualy buggers after a couple reboots. So i never even thought to look into that one. Hopefully someone around here could chime in with More help.

d]g[ts said:
Thank very Much. Guess i'll go ahead and do the upgrade, now that i have reason. :thup:
Also doing well so far, as I just had to give it it's first voltage bump. And downloading SP2 ATM

Is this 100 percent stable in games?

What ram are you using?

I dont believe this

Back