• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 double sided modules on a P31

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

himji

Registered
I posted some of this up in this post http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=534257
but I figured I should make my own thread instead of hijacking that one...

GA-P31-S3L + 4x OCZ2P800R22GK

I've tried putting 4xOCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC in my Gigabyte GA-P31-S3l rev 1.0 MB but it keeps crashing at exactly the same point of booting windows. If I put them in pairs they work fine but as soon as I put all four in, it keeps crashing. doesn't matter which sticks I use in which slots (although I'm keeping them in matched pairs just incase they are not).

Looking up the system manual here http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-p31_ds3_ds3l_s3l_e.pdf
I'll papraphrase;

"Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules."

Does this make sense to anybody here? Should I be looking for single sided dimms, change my chipset or can I tweak something to make it work?? Has anybody else seen this before or am I the only person to ever want to install 4 double sided dimms on a P31 (with for slots) ?

you need to up the NB and RAM voltage a touch to get things stable. thats why its crashing at the same point. basicly the NB is being stressed more with all 4 dimm slots full, upping the voltage will help.

Thanks for the reply. How much and how much is safe? My mobo colour coded the settings with green, yellow and red. Up to +2 was green so I tried that and windows lasted a few seconds more before dying, should I up it more? How much more?

well which one did you up the ddr2 voltage or the northbridge voltage?

Hmm, well there was only one setting as far as I could tell which I assume alters the voltage for all slots.

If you don't mind looking at the manual I posted earlier, on page 47 there's a picture of the options I have plus an explantion below. I'm afraid, I know nex tto nothing about tweaking etc so I can't be more specific, for example, I don't know what you mean about northbridge.

Another thing, I've seen people discuss changing the timings on the memory but I can see where I can do that using the standard bios util.

If you need anything else, desciptions, pictures etc, I'm ore than happy to supply (although I'm at work now so will have to wait till I get home). Thanks for the advice so dar :D

you could also loosen timings to 5-5-5... it should help...

you could also loosen timings to 5-5-5... it should help...

Do you mind either looking though that manual that I posted (because I can't work out how to do that) or link me up to somewhere where I read up can work it out? I can't see any options on setting the timings on the memory, should I be using additional tools other than the bios?

in order to get to the options screen to change ram timings. i think you hit CTRL+F1 and thats where you can set it. there are also other options in there as well.

in order to get to the options screen to change ram timings. i think you hit CTRL+F1 and thats where you can set it. there are also other options in there as well.

yes, that's how gigabyte is... hold CTRL and then hit F1 when you're in BIOS... you'll notice the screen flicker, which is when it enabled the advanced options. :)

Getting there *thumbs up*

I'm not completely sure which of the settings you're suggesting, here's what I've got on the advanced screen

DRAM Timing Selectable Manual
CAS Latency time 4
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 4
DRAM RAS# Precharge 4
Precharge Delay (tRAS) 10
ACT ot ACT Delay (tRRD) 3
Rank Write to READ Delay 3
Write to Precharge Delay 4
Refresh to ACT Delay 28
Read to Precharge Delay 3
tRD 12
tRD Phase Adjustment 0
CPU GTLREF Ratio Control 0.67

these are all at the auto settings. I'm guessing it's the first three but I don't realy know

Sorry to be pedantic but I don't fancy blowing anything up today lol. So;

CAS Latency time 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5
Precharge Delay (tRAS) 15

and leave the rest the same?

edit, lost formatting

Sorry to be pedantic but I don't fancy blowing anything up today lol. So;

CAS Latency time 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5
Precharge Delay (tRAS) 15

and leave the rest the same?

edit, lost formatting

Thats correct! You wont blow anything up ;)

The absolute worst that could happen is a no-boot and you just reset the BIOS. But that would only happen if you are too aggressive with your timings, like trying to run 3-3-3-10

Thats correct! You wont blow anything up ;)

The absolute worst that could happen is a no-boot and you just reset the BIOS. But that would only happen if you are too aggressive with your timings, like trying to run 3-3-3-10

:thup::thup::thup:

Hmm, tried but strill no working :( Any other ideas guys??

Hmm, tried but strill no working :( Any other ideas guys??

yes, raising the northbridge chipset voltage (potentially others too), and ENSURING that your vdimm voltage is set to what the manufacturer spec says for the sticks of ram...

also, double-check your divider and make sure you're not running over 800mhz if you're OCed.

I'm guessing Northbridge is

(G) MCH Overvoltage control

Doing a little reading too atm

right...

MCH=NorthBridge
ICH= SouthBridge

the voltage in the gigabytes works for ram like thisk in +.1 increaments. its not going to show actual voltage. meaning that if you need 2.2volts for the ram, the defualt by the bios is 1.8v, to get 2.2v you need select the one that says +.4v

thanks guys, got that nailed. They also suggested setting 2T and trfc to 42, any idea which of the gigabyte settings he means?

the ones you changed are the only i would worry about, just leave the rest on auto. the ram will be set correctly after the others are set manually.

Back