• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4400 X2 Toledo "89" watts. How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got the 4400 running this evening but the MB is complete junk for OC'ing. I've got it running at 215 FSB right now (taking it slow and easy) and there's not much else I can change. :(

Guess I'll be looking for another cheapo MB (refurb) so I can really OC ...

OK, one refurbished A8N32 later and a little time to change from a case to my Picasso wall mount leaves me crunching at 2585 @ 1.47v. I'm not impressed with the preliminary results at all. I'm in the middle of a SETI race so I didn't spend all day playing with settings, that comes next weekend, but my 180 performs better - it's on water but it's not running naked like the 4400. I am having some heat issues, though - no fans to speak of except the Ninja and the chipset cooler. After the race is over I should be able to find some time to play and get a better OC ...

QuietIce-
That stepping on the 4400 isn't the greatest (I have the same) and I wouldn't expect much more than 2700MHz from it. That said, on the A8N32 you absolutely have to enable CPU Overvolt in BIOS in order to getting a stable overclock. It somehow stabilizes the Vcore. With Overvolt disabled you'll get all kinds of fluctuations, it is almost like it is on the Auto mode. Enabling Overvolt allows you to fine tune the Vcore. Enable it, set your Vcore .2v lower in BIOS and reboot. Watch the readings, they should be much more steady.

Thanks for the heads up on the stepping. I'm still shooting for aaronjb's numbers. The wall mount location for the 4400 (when I finally get it hung) will be sitting right above the blower for my main rig. I keep eying my WC loop and wondering if I shouldn't mount the Storm on the 4400 and get an Apogee for my Opty since it still has the IHS. I don't think adding an Apogee would over-load the loop, but I might have to turn the pumps up a little. :)

There are some other interesting quirks for the A8N32 in this thread, though I admit the vCore is the oddest:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468038

All these high end boards have their quirks and peculiarities. DFIs are ver yparticular about what you feed them. Monster overclockers though. The 32 is a little less complicated but does have its must-dos in order to get them steady and Overvolt is one of those.

The CCBWE is just not a good overclocking stepping on any chip. There are an odd few that get through and are brilliant, but generally they are limited to around 2600-2700MHz. My 4400X2 89w on this A8N32 couldn't get past 2700MHz stable.

On the other hand, with all the same equipment, my CCBBE Opte 165 runs like a clock at 3006MHz Orthos stable for 20+ hours and I can run SuperPi 1M at 3168MHz in 27.218s. Not Orthos stable at 3168MHz but it runs everyday stuff just fine.

So it isn't the board it is the stepping on the chip. BWE chips just don't get real great O/Cs. I have the 4400X2 in my wife's new rig running at 2615MHz, 1.47v and it is cool and quiet (quiet is big thing in that rig) so I am very happy with it. FX60 chip for $230 is awesome in my book. It is a perfect fit for the A8N SLI Deluxe.

You may still be able to get the CCBBE stepping from newegg on the 165. It is a great chip for the 32 board. Never any guarantees on stepping as there are good and bad in every batch.

No progress to report - just bumping this to the top to see if anyone made any ground. I gave this chip my best over the long weekend. Different combinations of VCore, memory voltage, HTT and multi, but never got over 2.96 stable. It's chugging along at 2.91Ghz, and the memory isn't giving me trouble at 265Mhz since I upped the voltage from 2.8v to 3.0v. But even after multi-hour gaming sessions, I've yet to experience a crash.

In fact, the only crash I've had in months was when I attempted a CD burn with a dodgy disc, and burnatonce tanked on me.

I must say, I'm really getting my money's worth out of this chip.

Watch the voltage on that memory... 3.0v is a bit on the high side IMO. I would at least have a fan blowing over them. :thup:

And nice clocks btw- both my 4400 ADV chips are mediocre at best.

I'm getting my money's worth out of this chip too. I'm still not certain what is causing the cold boot issue but I think I need a higher wattage power supply for this X2. Yesterday afternoon the machine hard locked at 255x11 shortly after I went out. :D Hopefully it was the 9/10 divider that was at fault.

Last night I lowered the clocks to 200x11 and lowered the vcore and vdimm to stock and 2.8v respectively. I'm surprised at how much cooler the temps sensors are reading. Idle is now between 22-25c and the highest I've seen Load while folding is 32c. It's almost worth it to keep it running at stock for the temps alone. :p

I think I'm going to go back to 240x11 and run stock vcore, if the chip can still handle that. Having a 1:1 memory ratio with those processor temps is quite appealing right now.

benbaked said:
^^^ 3 GHz out of the 0610...nice job ochungry.
Tnx Ben. But i dont run it @ that speed because of 1.575 vcore as you know, heat problem on air. My 27/7 is 2.915ghz w/ 1.450v vcore. The 2x1gig Patriot DDR 500 I just got, do good up to 270mhz. So @ 265x11, I am totally stable, cool, and happy. Like you have said, This chip was worth every penny.

Man, you are sooo lucky. I hope I have similar luck with my 0610 Opty 165.

I couldn't get my 4400 to go anywhere using the Ninja. Still planning on WC for it, though, before I replace it w/the 165. Sidewinder shipped out my Delta's this morning - w/luck it'll be under a Storm this weekend ...

0610 seems to be a good week all around... I could probably do 3GHz with my new 0610 Opty, but I'm certainly a happy camper with 2.9GHz. My 0609 & 0613 (both CCBWE) 4400s are carp! :mad:

@ochungry- can we see 2xSPI? 1 SPI on a DC proc is like cheating. :D

harlam357 said:
0610 seems to be a good week all around... I could probably do 3GHz with my new 0610 Opty, but I'm certainly a happy camper with 2.9GHz. My 0609 & 0613 (both CCBWE) 4400s are carp! :mad:

@ochungry- can we see 2xSPI? 1 SPI on a DC proc is like cheating. :D
I wouldnt call that cheating since my intention for posting Pi @ 32M and 1M was Pi's shortest time so far I have achieved.
I am still trying to get this new 2gig kit break in and get it to do 273mhz.
So far I am able to get it stable at around 270mhz. Can run SPi 32M single instance @ 273mhz (3003 mhz) but wont do 2 instances @ that speed.
Never the less, for prove of 3ghz and 2 instances of pi 32M, Below is the screenshot using 183 divider (memory speed @ 250mhz).

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2553/02072007171143va9.jpg

ive currently got my toledo sat at 2.53ghz on stock cooling, ultra-d board and kingston value ram 1gb stick. To be honest it runs as fast as i need it to at the moment, maybe when i junk the x800gt ill push it on a bit with water cooling.

ochungry said:
I wouldnt call that cheating since my intention for posting Pi @ 32M and 1M was Pi's shortest time so far I have achieved.

Good lookin' 2xSPI time there oc. :attn: I just don't believe in 1xSPI on DCs... it's not representative of what the system could possibly do with full stability... which is why I test w/SPI. Not to break world records. :rolleyes:

To each his own I guess... ;)

as per post 616, heres my toledo , one question, I know you should try to get ht's close to 1000, is mine too low?

oc2.jpg

i dought it, i game all day and i had a 275htt and a 2x multiplier which i forgot to change, and i didnt notice any slowdowns or performance problems, windows still booted as fast, ive got 3 hdd's and 550mhz HT speed was enough.

Back