• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

46 idle and 53 load on watercooling?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ketchup318

i'm running a mobile barton with a high vcore and have a swifttech watercooling setup. As you can see above, it's runnign hot! I'm using their MCR80-F1 radiator... it's like a black ice micro. I like it because i can fit everything in my mid-tower. I was wondering what else i can do to lower the water/cpu temps. I'm only using it to cool the CPU. Thanks

have u tried reseating the block?
how much cfm do u have though ur radiator right now.
if u do a little search, u'll see a lot of people complaining about their bim, its simply too small. Even the bim2. To get similar results to a larger heatercore, u might need a tornado fan. I would really suggest getting a larger radiator, right now i have a dtek heatercore with about 40cfm going though it, its cooling my tbred (puts out more heat then ur mobile :p) nb, and 9700pro. when i add 100cfm to that, temps drop 4c-5c. its much more effective if u get a larger heatercore, thats why everyone ends up getting a larger one.

well my ambient temps are near 30 +- 3 degrees. I have about 30CFM goin through right now, in a push pull config. I know i'm not running it as well as it should be. I'm trying to keep noise down.

so you all think i need a bigger radiator. i guess that would make sense. what about putting a TEC on the radiator? you think that'd help. I'm kinda hesitant on getting a bigger radiator.. i just don't have the room, and also i'd like to keep everything contained in the case i have (mid-tower)

tec will not be efficient and u'll need a new powersupply which would take up more then a new res.
have u considered mounting a bigger radiator outside ur case instead? to save room that is..

i have thought about getting a bigger radiator. but i really don't have room in a mod-tower. and outside the case... well i don't know. i guess i will have to look into that.

ketchup318 said:
i have thought about getting a bigger radiator. but i really don't have room in a mod-tower. and outside the case... well i don't know. i guess i will have to look into that.

I have roughly the same temps as you. I only have a 120mm panaflow pulling air across my BIX. If you feel your tubing or res, you will notice they are rather warm. The water is not getting cooled enough with the rad and you need a better one if you plan on improving your temps by much. I wouldn't be too overly concerned if everything is stable. I plan on building an external box in a year or so once I have all the parts. Dual loop with CPU on its own loop with rad and pump will really help out temps.

I agree with Rio. If the machine is stable and quiet, the temps are fine. AMD specs claim a max temp of 80-90C (varies by model) is required to kill a cpu, so you have a ways to go before you get there.

My XP1700 runs at 2400 (12x200, 1.775 vcore) and shows temps of 34C idle and 50C load with an ambient temp around 25C. I used to worry, but it has been running 24/7 like this for 8 months.

This is just my opinion, so take it for what its worth...

You need to define "better" for yourself. If you are looking for significantly better temps .v.s air with a bleeding edge overclocked water cooling rig, you will still have a fairly loud system due to the fans required to move the air. If your idea of better is a stable and quiet water cooled system, you will either run at stock speed or accept higher temps to achieve a good overclock.

I have learned to live with my "high" temps. I have a stable and quiet system that is running at nearly 1ghz over stock 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is definitely better than the screaming fans in the air cooled system it replaced.

All that being said. Take Korndog's advice and check that your block is seated correctly. When I first built my system I had too much tubing and the weight of it was literally pulling the block away from the cpu. I shortened up the tubing and reseated the block. My temps did come down a few degrees. Here is a page that shows what my system looks like now if you are curious.

http://webpages.charter.net/jim-decker/WaterCooled.htm

My ambient is usually 30C - 37C so it makes sense that I have higher temps. I'm sure in the winter these will go down nicely. :)

i guess you're right about quiet vs temps. i was hoping for lower temps while being quiet too, but i guess there's a certain limit where that doesn't work out. i guess i can get a prometia or something like that. but i don't want to change cases or get into exotic cooling like that. thanks a lot

Well I use a Black Ice Prime with 120mm evercool fan(7v) on it with my T-bred at 2400mhz i get 50Cidle with Maze 4 as5 and 54 load and its completly quiet except for the air movement. Stable temps are almost as good as low temps in my experiance. This has been confiremed by amd techs as true that stable temps are extremly important for a stable system. And plus when aircooling people gawk at my high temps i just turn up the fans and get 45C max load :D

And considering u have a 80mm rad you have great temp.

Ri0 said:
My ambient is usually 30C - 37C so it makes sense that I have higher temps. I'm sure in the winter these will go down nicely. :)

Your AMBIENT temps are 30C->37C? Ambient usually means room temperature...30C = 86F; 37C = 98.6F. That's one hot room...

The room temperature is the important number, depending on how your system is installed it should be pulling room air through the heatcore, not hot case air. If it is, that could be part of your problem.

On my old w/c setup (not the best components: TC4,maxijet1000,chevette heatercore), I got temps of 53c full load with roomtemp at 30c, and barton at 2.7ghz. This was with the vcore at 1.9ghz also so your temps don't seem off to me.

I am using only a 92mm Vantec Stealth on a custom made copper unit that measures only 4"x4"x2" thick, and that even includes the tanks. Considering the fan is rated at only 27cfm and is pushing air into the rad, my Mobile cpu at 2400mhz and 1.775v never breaks 50c, at a lower vcore of 1.65v and 2250mhz, my cpu temps load up to 45c/46c and is ultra stable and QUIET.

I am not changing anything, I gave up loud fans for quietness and still have load temps that are 7c-10c cooler than on air. :)

Also I have a Hydor L25 pump, very quiet and small. All fits inside a Kingwin mid tower nicely, and I can still access my pci slots easily.

Back