• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K running way too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tradermole

Registered
I got a cooling problem. my 4790k CPU (well 2 of them from different batch) are running way to hot while doing some stress testing with Prime 95 28.4 (built 1) and Intel Burin Test.

Setup:
Intel i7 4790k
16 GB RAM (4x4GB 2400MHZ XMP setting)
Asus Maximus VII Hero with latest bios
128 GB SSD Drive
GTX 760 (Asus)
EVGA Super Nova PSU 850W Gold
tested with Corsair H100i and Corsair H110
OS Window 7 Pro fully updated and drivers fully updated.

Right now the setup is no even in a case, it is on a bench, with room temp controlled @ 20C via A/C, it is running with the H110 (fan to MAX)

CPU voltage is at 1.175, cores all set to 44, (max turbo) CPU LLC @ 7 (keep voltage stable, it never budge from the setting I choose). it pass all stress test I throw at it witch success.

When I run prime small fft the temp is hovering @ 80C!. Same thing for 2 CPU from different batch and H100i or H110 give same result. I tried at least 3 different TIM, (Glid, Artic Silver, Noctua not to mention the one that come pre-applied with the corsair W/C kit. CPU was cleaned with artic clean between TIM application. CPU has been check to make sure it is properly seated, same goes for the H100i and H110.

is the 4970K that bad of a CPU? or my Asus Maximus VII Hero is defective. I overclocked a lot of CPU using corsair cooler. from 3770k, 4770k, 3930k and 4930k all using the H100i and all the CPU got between 4400mhz and 4700 MHz with voltage from 1.250 to 1.3 with no where near the temp I got with the 4790k.

Any Idea? is Devil's Canyon That bad of a chip?

The power density is really, really high, so you can't really conduct out the heat very easily... Intel MUST silver solder the damn things but has no motivation to until AMD puts some pressure on them.

from what i can tell it's just the chips, i have mine at 4.8ghz @ 1.26vcore and get 70f with prime95 small fft. i'm running 3 triple120mm rads with 18 fans and a gtx780 in the mix.

also keep in mind you will never see those temps for everyday use. the max mine gets with any game i've run so far is 55f.

have u truly tuned this? have you turned the voltage down as low as it will go stably? ppl? llc? do you just have the stock fans on the h100i? new 4790k's on the market might be a push on the production; you might have to wait a few months to get some really good silicon stock/cpu runs.

cpu-z and hwmontior screenies?

Make sure everything is in stock settings before you go swinging for the fences. Make sure the contact and cooling brackets are all properly placed. Make sure the cooler doesn't wiggle etc.

Test it under normal conditions since you got great ambient temps. Take it slow and use what you think your best TIM is. From my understanding these chips are suppose to run cooler than a 4770k and there's benchmarks that have proved it.

Use real temp and prime95 again with small TFTs etc.

Make sure everything is in stock settings before you go swinging for the fences. Make sure the contact and cooling brackets are all properly placed. Make sure the cooler doesn't wiggle etc.

Test it under normal conditions since you got great ambient temps. Take it slow and use what you think your best TIM is. From my understanding these chips are suppose to run cooler than a 4770k and there's benchmarks that have proved it.

Use real temp and prime95 again with small TFTs etc.

I made sure of everything you mention is setup correctly, my best TIM I think is the GLID, got great success with it on all my other built. the cooler does not wiggle, (both H100i and H110).

I cannot run the CPUs on stock setting (optimal default). when running pime95, One CPU is doing 1.210 and the other 1.265. witch make booth of them pass the 90c in a matter of the seconds. I had to lower the voltage to 1.175 and set the CPU LLC @ 7 (witch give me super stable voltage.). every thing else in the bios run a stock. I tried the ram a 1600mhz and 2400 MHz, but I don't think it is part of the issue since both CPU pass prime95 24hrs and Intel Burin test 100 pass (all memory minus 3 megs)

I got a 3930k @ 4.6 cooled by a H100i and a 4930k @ 4.4 also on a H100i and booth of the are running a loot cooler then this on 1.3V

Also since I got 2nd CPU and a 2nd cooler with same result. I had ordered a Maximus VII Gene will try one the 4790K in it just in case it's the mobo (or it's socket). I there where any instance in the pass of bad mobo cause high temp?

Can you post Screen shots of Hwmonitor under the load of prime, maybe something will stand out. Then again even thought these chips are supposed to be improved over the 4770k they do run hot.

I got a cooling problem. my 4790k CPU (well 2 of them from different batch) are running way to hot while doing some stress testing with Prime 95 28.4 (built 1) and Intel Burin Test.

Setup:
Intel i7 4790k
16 GB RAM (4x4GB 2400MHZ XMP setting)
Asus Maximus VII Hero with latest bios
128 GB SSD Drive
GTX 760 (Asus)
EVGA Super Nova PSU 850W Gold
tested with Corsair H100i and Corsair H110
OS Window 7 Pro fully updated and drivers fully updated.

Right now the setup is no even in a case, it is on a bench, with room temp controlled @ 20C via A/C, it is running with the H110 (fan to MAX)

CPU voltage is at 1.175, cores all set to 44, (max turbo) CPU LLC @ 7 (keep voltage stable, it never budge from the setting I choose). it pass all stress test I throw at it witch success.

When I run prime small fft the temp is hovering @ 80C!. Same thing for 2 CPU from different batch and H100i or H110 give same result. I tried at least 3 different TIM, (Glid, Artic Silver, Noctua not to mention the one that come pre-applied with the corsair W/C kit. CPU was cleaned with artic clean between TIM application. CPU has been check to make sure it is properly seated, same goes for the H100i and H110.

is the 4970K that bad of a CPU? or my Asus Maximus VII Hero is defective. I overclocked a lot of CPU using corsair cooler. from 3770k, 4770k, 3930k and 4930k all using the H100i and all the CPU got between 4400mhz and 4700 MHz with voltage from 1.250 to 1.3 with no where near the temp I got with the 4790k.

Any Idea? is Devil's Canyon That bad of a chip?

Anyone that runs prime 28.x when they hit small ffts their temps will be high regardless of air or water cooling. If running a version other than 28.x, temps wont be as high. Prime 28.5 small ffts at stock pulls 100W just from cpu usage, and intels tim1 solution is rated for 84W tdp.

If you use an intel supplied cooler, most are near 100C at stock settings running prime 28.5 small ffts.

Water cooling with custom rads, stock settings typically up in the 80's, sometimes higher depending on stock vid/vcore. If your cpu has high vid, you may be in 90's even at stock, even on water.

Im not suggesting delidding, just pointing out that 250 people on one thread alone in one forum have delidded and placed liquid metal as tim1, because every single one of them has the same problem as you.

It isnt your mobo, or your cooling, or anything else. Everyone has the same problem, it is tim1.

My temps on custom loop with 2 large rads running prime 28.5 small ffts at 1.29v 4.7ghz were near 100C, and cpu package power was 175W, ie 2x power of tim1 solution design. After I delidded, and replaced tim1 with liquid metal temps are 23C lower.

Anyone that runs prime 28.x when they hit small ffts their temps will be high regardless of air or water cooling. If running a version other than 28.x, temps wont be as high. Prime 28.5 small ffts at stock pulls 100W just from cpu usage, and intels tim1 solution is rated for 84W tdp.

If you use an intel supplied cooler, most are near 100C at stock settings running prime 28.5 small ffts.

Water cooling with custom rads, stock settings typically up in the 80's, sometimes higher depending on stock vid/vcore. If your cpu has high vid, you may be in 90's even at stock, even on water.

Im not suggesting delidding, just pointing out that 250 people on one thread alone in one forum have delidded and placed liquid metal as tim1, because every single one of them has the same problem as you.

It isnt your mobo, or your cooling, or anything else. Everyone has the same problem, it is tim1.

My temps on custom loop with 2 large rads running prime 28.5 small ffts at 1.29v 4.7ghz were near 100C, and cpu package power was 175W, ie 2x power of tim1 solution design. After I delidded, and replaced tim1 with liquid metal temps are 23C lower.

1. Any good tutorial on delidding?
2. Where do I get liquid metal?
3. Is there any tool for delidding whitout wreaking the CPU?

Thanks

If you delid you risk killing cpu. tons of people on that same thread are on their second cpu (some 3rd), because they killed the first one trying to delid.

prime 27.9 is a good stability test, without overheating cpu. Run it, get it stable, then add .01 vcore to the result, you should then be stable for pretty much anything including prime 28.5. Your temps will never be that high again, hence dont need to worry about temps. That is best solution.

Only delid if you want to for experimental reasons, and you dont mind killing cpu and buying another one and trying again.

My point was, dont keep spinning your wheels with temps.

At one time I offered a de-lidding service for those that didn't want to kill their own processors.

It's a shame to read this kind of post.

tons of people on that same thread are on their second cpu (some 3rd), because they killed the first one trying to delid.

Yeah there on some upset people on that forum, some that could not afford another cpu...which is why I avoid advising people to delid their cpu...even though that is only fix to tim1 issue.

Given this an overclocking K cpu, and given tim1 solution is quickly exceeded even near stock settings, intel should sell this cpu with IHS non-attached.

I made sure of everything you mention is setup correctly, my best TIM I think is the GLID, got great success with it on all my other built. the cooler does not wiggle, (both H100i and H110).

I cannot run the CPUs on stock setting (optimal default). when running pime95, One CPU is doing 1.210 and the other 1.265. witch make booth of them pass the 90c in a matter of the seconds.

Alright, before going with RGE's recommendation, if you choose to delid which I wouldn't cause I wouldn't be able to afford another CPU :p, I would make sure those AIO coolers are working properly on the MB.

To clear things up, you're saying the AIO H coolers are working on another CPU/MB just fine but won't work well on the one MB with 2 different CPUs (4790k) that result in the similarly high temps? If that's the case, I would check with which header has the AIO pump connected too and check the BIOS settings. Its possible the pump might not being running at all. Just a thought. Otherwise, I don't know what else to say other than following RGE's advise and if you choose not too than sell them and wait for the next Gen CPU?

Here is attached a screen shoot (as it is running)

Attachments

• Hot_4790k.jpg
    Hot_4790k.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 6,899
If you delid you risk killing cpu. tons of people on that same thread are on their second cpu (some 3rd), because they killed the first one trying to delid.

prime 27.9 is a good stability test, without overheating cpu. Run it, get it stable, then add .01 vcore to the result, you should then be stable for pretty much anything including prime 28.5. Your temps will never be that high again, hence dont need to worry about temps. That is best solution.

Only delid if you want to for experimental reasons, and you dont mind killing cpu and buying another one and trying again.

My point was, dont keep spinning your wheels with temps.

I already got 2 of the dud 4790k. Worst CPU EVER. I might try to delid one.

BTW: I got same horrible result using Intel Burin test.

I re read your first post running a test bench with 20c ambient temps. It may be that you just have a hot chip. Does the voltage stay at 1.175 the whole test or does it fluctiate higher? Is there a way to see the max voltage on Real Temp?

It does seem to be running hotter then the few 4970k's I've seen come through here but it is tough to compare to them because of the different cooling and ambient temps.

One thing I do know about these Haswells chips is some of them run really hot. The 4970k s were supposed to improve on this but how much on one of the hotter chips IDK. I can tell you from the experience I have had with my 4770k is mine is a beast to cool. I cannot do more then 4.4 on a full custom loop, see signature, because at 1.23 V I'm already in the mid 90's with an ambient temp of 22c. I have compared mine to another user on this forum and his running 4.4 with 1.25 v and the same ambient temps, running a Thermal take 2.0 AIO cooler his temps were 10c+ better across the board them mine.

Back