• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K Ready build. I need your opinion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YanWest

Hi everybody.
I need your opinion about this build:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $1793.76

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dQFB7P

What would you recommend to change\add?

It has 2x970 GTX.
Much more means for me at least 50% powerful. :)

I think you need a thread of your own for your system builds and videos...this excersise of teaching you how to build PC's and make vids is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Anyway, 2x 970's are the minimum I would go for 4K. I would prefer 980's as well.

Also, please remove the link from your signature as there are no external links allowed (please refer to the forum rules), thanks!

Yan, how could you think a GTX 970 can manage any kind of respectable performance at 4K? I thought you were up to speed on the relative performance of the parts that were out there. This seals it for me, man. You really should not be making these videos or builds. It's irresponsible to put this kind of information out there. It's fine on forums, but on Youtube? Some kid might see your video and copy you and then find he has spent his whole budget, but he's getting mediocre performance.

As EarthDog said, for 4K you need at minimum 2 970s, and ideally 2 980s.

Also, why is there an 850W Supernova PSU for a rig that would draw some 300ish watts?
Heck, you could run 3 970s off a 750W PSU with some headroom to spare.
Just saying. No offense intended. :grouphug:

Last edited:
The CPU cooler is overkill for a quad core. 212 Evo is much cheaper and plenty.

This HDD is much cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD2710172

You'll need some extra case airflow with that sort of GPU cooler. You can get a good quality fan (e.g. variable speed Delta) to install in the front or get GPUs with reference style coolers. Fortunately, your board has the cards spaced out so the dual fan coolers should work fine given enough case airflow.

Here's a (good quality) PSU that's going for cheap and should be plenty for your build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

The CPU cooler is overkill for a quad core. 212 Evo is much cheaper and plenty.

This HDD is much cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD2710172

You'll need some extra case airflow with that sort of GPU cooler. You can get a good quality fan (e.g. variable speed Delta) to install in the front or get GPUs with reference style coolers. Fortunately, your board has the cards spaced out so the dual fan coolers should work fine given enough case airflow.

Here's a (good quality) PSU that's going for cheap and should be plenty for your build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

NHD14 is not overkill for a 4790K if you want decent clocks. I have one on my 2600K and it's just about right. Keep in mind that the 4790K runs hotter, despite having a lower TDP, because it has inferior heat transfer between the die and IHS due to the IHS not being soldered.

I'm not sure I'd trust a mid-high end build to a 600B. It's an entry level bronze PSU. It's a good PSU for the money, but considering $20 more gets you a 550W Seasonic SSR G550 (Gold cert), I'd go for that. JM2C.

The 212 Evo handles a 6 core Sandy Bridge quite easily. Key is to swap the fan for something more powerful, but the stock fan should be enough for a quad core.

The 212 Evo handles a 6 core Sandy Bridge quite easily. Key is to swap the fan for something more powerful, but the stock fan should be enough for a quad core.

The fact that you think a 212 EVO with the stock fan is enough for an overclocked 4790K shows how little exposure you have with Haswell.

Yan, how could you think a GTX 970 can manage any kind of respectable performance at 4K? I thought you were up to speed on the relative performance of the parts that were out there. This seals it for me, man. You really should not be making these videos or builds. It's irresponsible to put this kind of information out there. It's fine on forums, but on Youtube? Some kid might see your video and copy you and then find he has spent his whole budget, but he's getting mediocre performance.

As EarthDog said, for 4K you need at minimum 2 970s, and ideally 2 980s.

Also, why is there an 850W Supernova PSU for a rig that would draw some 300ish watts?
Heck, you could run 3 970s off a 750W PSU with some headroom to spare.
Just saying. No offense intended. :grouphug:

His post states 2 970s (2-way SLI)...

While I agree 2 980s or 290xs would be better, 2 970s could do it.

If you are taking about 4k videos playback. My dual core 2.7 Ghz with internal video card play 4k well with just few frames skipping. But if your concern is 4k gaming then experts here can guide better.

The fact that you think a 212 EVO with the stock fan is enough for an overclocked 4790K shows how little exposure you have with Haswell.
I have worked on Haswell servers (not regular Haswell, Haswell E, some with as many as 14 cores) that have heatsinks that are much smaller than a 212 Evo. You can just use the stock fan for now, then upgrade it later if you need to.

I have worked on Haswell servers (not regular Haswell, Haswell E, some with as many as 14 cores) that have heatsinks that are much smaller than a 212 Evo. You can just use the stock fan for now, then upgrade it later if you need to.

Those are still only 120W chips, if they're running full load.
It's nothing for a 4790K to end up at 140W+ if you're OCing it decently.

I'd say that I've had mine around 160W if not more before.

Back