• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x16GB G.Skill on 3970x issues trying to hit 3600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgun

I can't believe I'm posting a thread like this. In all my builds, I've never had such an issue with getting a new PC up and running at marked timings.

I've seen similar threads around elsewhere, but not quite this it seems so hopefully someone can simply tell me I'm an idiot and this is sitting right in front of my face. This is also geared a bit towards

That said, I'm setting up the following:

Asus Z2E Alpha with a 3970x
2 kits of G.Skill F4-3733C17D-32GTZR. While it's not, strictly speaking AMD certified memory, I can't imagine that holds a lot of merit anyway.

CPU is stock clocked at the moment. Memory is trying to be run at its rated clocks. Simply, it won't POST. I'm assuming that I'm a bit too conservative here, but loosely based on other threads, I can't see that being the case.

I've got the following done/set:

BIOS to 1101
Set to DOCP standard, which picks up the memory at 3738 17-19-19-39 at 1.35v
Manually set the freq to 3733 and FCLK to 1866.
Bumped SOC to 1.100v to start

Wanted to start at its rated speed/timings.

I can bring the freq/BCLK down to 3400/1700 and still nada.
I can bring it down to 3200/1600 and we're at least booting.

I probably missed the boat when RAM tuning became as convoluted as it has seemingly become with a myriad of parameters having become exposed. As such, assuming 1.35v SHOULD be sufficient here, but perhaps not. My aim is to get this at 3600, which I've seen everywhere else. In particular referencing this CPU with similar timings/voltages.

This is somewhat directed towards @DaPoets given his sig suggests a similar setup. (I don't think tagging works).

While I appreciate there is no once size fits all, I'm expecting this should be possible. I've not touched AMD since the early Athlon X2 days, not that this alone matters much, but I'm a bit at a loss as to the low hanging fruit here.

TIA...

have you tried to use just a single kit (2 sticks of ram) and see if it is any different. If it works then try the other kit as a sigle pair and see if that kit works. could be a single stick making issues. My Asus Tuf Gaming x570 on original boot- I have to set xmp for it to train the mem and then move to manual timings. Had one bios that was a bit difficult as well. Ram I was fighting was the Patriot Blackout 4000xmp with Samsung B-die chips

Funnily enough, I looked at that this morning and said...nah...no need to do that.

That said, I have, and not even with one. Not any single one.

FWIW, I ran across this which allegedly puts me on the right direction...

Untitled.png

I loosened the main timings but still nada. I would assume that more voltage is called for here, but it seems there isn’t a whole lot of headroom here to go.

Last edited:
If RAM is really Samsung B-die . . . then plenty of room to go

Funnily enough, I looked at that this morning and said...nah...no need to do that.

That said, I have, and not even with one. Not any single one.

FWIW, I ran across this which allegedly puts me on the right direction...

I loosened the main timings but still nada. I would assume that more voltage is called for here, but it seems there isn’t a whole lot of headroom here to go.

If RAM is really Samsung B-die . . . then plenty of room to go. B-die likes voltage up to around 1.46V if temps are kept in check. Suggest to download the 1.70 or 1.71 version of the Calculator instead of the latest. That will show the correct voltages for B-die and timings that should work for 3600Mhz. I use the 1.70 Calculator as the 1.73 Calculator suggest out to lunch values.

I run my G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZ Sammy B-dies at 3600CL14 with 1.45V with values from the 1.70 Calculator. 4 X 8GB sticks in a X470 Asus C7H mobo.

With 4 X 16GB sticks that are most assuredly dual rank, pay attention to the chooser field for rank and ProcODT. Dual rank is going to need ProcODT in the 40's or higher. And CLK drive strength probably will need a boost also.

Thanks. There didn't seem to be a massive difference between them. Seems I wasn't being aggressive enough with voltages at the end of the day. I looked at both 1.70 and 1.73 and the latter got me there; ignoring the DRAM voltage suggestion and bring it up to 1.45. Running P95 now so we'll see how we get along. 1.70 didn't give me any difference in voltages. Another issue was that I didn't realize the underlying detail behind the number of DIMM modules, inadvertently doubling it when it wasn't necessary.

Everything I could look at save popping the heat spreaders off tell me they're actually B-die. With some extra direct cooling, memory is staying around 35-38 deg.

I'll edit this later and post up my specific settings that seem to work at the moment, after a good 24hr run of Prime.

Last edited:
Back