• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 speaker problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

ok heres my "problem". I have a SB Audigy Mp3+ (Model # SB0090). I have Surround Sound 5.1 speakers. When i got to the surround sound mixer to test all my channels. They are all correct. Left front, center, right front, rear left, rear right. However, in all my apps and when I'm playing music. The center speaker never plays any sound. I have the rehostat contoller ( the thing that controls volume and rear/front signals) set to use both rear and front speakers equally. Can someone help me? All other speakes work fine and play well. Its just the center speaker that doesn't play ( and no its not a bad speaker or jack or wire- tested all of those :) ). Thank you a bunch guys!

The center speaker won't play 'normal audio' unless it's been encded to 5.1 (or dolby, DTS, etc...). Any stereo audio be it files/CD/DVDs all have 2 channels, left and right. The center channel is a completely different channel all together. If the center channel were to be used with stereo audio, you'd essentially have a hybrid of Stereo and mono, which would for the most part go against everything left and right is used for. :)

cwb27 said:
The center speaker won't play 'normal audio' unless it's been encded to 5.1 (or dolby, DTS, etc...). Any stereo audio be it files/CD/DVDs all have 2 channels, left and right. The center channel is a completely different channel all together. If the center channel were to be used with stereo audio, you'd essentially have a hybrid of Stereo and mono, which would for the most part go against everything left and right is used for. :)

That's just what I thought when I saw the problem. You need to get you a DVD-Audio disk and test it out, I have one and it sounds so GOOD!

I also have the same problem, I got the SB Live! 5.1 and Inspire 5300, my center speaker only works when i switch the speaker to 'movie mode' from the Creative Playcentre software.Maybe the centre one is designed for movies only.Or does anyone else has the right solution?

there is no right solution, the centre channel will only work with movies and a very few games that are encoded for it. music is only two channel, so only the mains play (except for DVD-audio, as that is surround music. I don't like it, but many people do) and the vast majority of apps will only use the two front mains
________
Medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited:
5.1 Speaker Problem

Have SB Audigy2/Creative Inspire5300...
All was good till I reformatted & installed XP. Now (still using same hard/software), my center speaker will not speak! During Creative speaker test it will announce "Center", through the center speaker, but no music, games, etc., will sound. How do u figure? Anybody ever find a solution? Have cleanly uninstalled & re-installed Soundcard drv, 2x's. Nada! HELP somebody!!

same problem

i hv Creative SB live series sound card and creative 5.1 speakers...
My front and rear (Left-Right) speakers are ok.
Center does not work when testing through Creative Surround Sound Mixer...
Please Help... Center should work while testing???
I know center will not work playing Stereo Mp3...
Plz Help...

Back