• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, didn't know if I should add this here or the HTPC subforum, figured I'd get better feedback here.

I'm half looking for a wireless keyboard to go with my HTPC. Right now I'm using a Logitech K400R which is about 95% of what I need. Integrated touchpad, media keys, small, and light. My main problem with it is that the radio? it's terrible. Pretty much line of site only. Even with the USB receiver on a front case port I have to stand to clear the living room table and wave the keyboard around which makes typing tough.

I was gonna order some USB extenders, try to wrap the receiver up one of my speakers, but before cludging something I thought I'd see what others are using.

The mobo does have onboard BT but antennas are tucked back behind the case and receiver so that might get spotty as well. Backlighting? Rechargeable battery? All that? Nice, but not necessary. I want to keep the built in touchpad though, one with both left and right click.

I had to do some homework on this issue a dozen or more years ago for the same reason. Keyboards come in at least two (to my knowledge) flavors, one with a six foot broadcast range, the other with a 30' range. It takes a little digging in the spec sheets but there are several makes and models for the 30' range products. They cost a little more, nothing extreme, but are well worth it. Solved my 12' range needs. I even got to play "how come my page keeps changing" with the missus from the next room.

Huh, that's weird that some are intentionally limited to 6', but I guess it's for battery reasons. I'll check around when I get a chance.

It may also have to do with FCC reasons. I don't know. It would certainly come to reason that manufacturer costs and battery costs would be a factor.

I have 2 Logitech K400R, and haven't had this issue. But I am using it at about 10-12 max. But the PC and dongle is behind my entertainment system.

I will say I was looking for an alternative myself. I couldn't do an expensive Logitech Harmony. But, that may be the best way to go. Keep the K400 to the side for when you need to do more than simple folder/file navigation.

I have 2 Logitech K400R, and haven't had this issue. But I am using it at about 10-12 max. But the PC and dongle is behind my entertainment system.

I will say I was looking for an alternative myself. I couldn't do an expensive Logitech Harmony. But, that may be the best way to go. Keep the K400 to the side for when you need to do more than simple folder/file navigation.

I think the big issue with my setup is that when I'm sitting, the living room table (mix of metal and glass) kinda clips the signal between the keyboard and receiver and it *just barely* doesn't have the power to get around.

But I did some looking earlier, the K830 might be a decent alternative on my end, as it has a 10m range and has the added benefit of backlighting and rechargeable battery - but it's sold out the few places I checked except an Amazon 3rd party seller that has it $40 above MSRP.

It has a 49' range. Left and right click are on the left side of the keyboard. I like this as that is how I use the left click button on the k400.

Half the price of the K830. But the K830 is a sexy beast.

...I don't like you.

K600.jpg

Logitech actually has the K830 listed for the same price if bought direct, but it's OOS with no indication of when it'll be back in stock. And I'm impulsive so...

Back