• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 5.1 surround sound through Logitech X-530 with ASUS Xonar DX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cobra182

Hello, I am trying to configure audio (mainly music) to play through all of my Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers. Since pretty much all the music I have is in stereo, is there any to upmix it to 5.1 surround sound using the ASUS Xonar DX sound card, which is supposed to support Dolby Digital 5.1 upmixing (as far as I know)? Or would it be impossible to upmix audio for these speakers because, from what I've read, it looks like the only way to upmix audio using Dolby Digital involves using the S/PDIF port on the sound card and the speakers have no S/PDIF support?

If it isn't possible to upmix audio, is there any way to get stereo sound to play through all of the speakers? At the moment the best I've managed is using the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter on Xonar DX Audio Center as this allows me to play audio through the front and rear speakers and with the subwoofer, however there is no sound through the central speaker using this mode.

Thanks for your time.

It should be an option in the drivers. Make sure that Windows is set up for 5.1. Media Player may support upmixing.

I've set up Windows for 5.1 using the control panel and all speakers work when I test an actual 5.1 sound file, but I can't find any option for upmixing stereo mp3's other than on the Dolby Digital Live setting on Xonar DX Audio Center, but this function looks like it only works through SPDIF, and the speakers are connected via the green, black and orange cables into the sound card (since the speakers have no SPDIF support as far as I know).

I think I've found a solution, but it only works for upmixing certain audio formats (the iTunes m4a doesn't work for it but mp3's do), I now must use Media Player Classic with the AC3Filter plugin to upmix sound to 5.1. Nevertheless, thanks for your advice CompuTamer :)

Back