• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 GB RAM negatively impacting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mower

Registered
Someone I game with said that 6GB RAM (3 sticks of 2 GB) can hinder performance and that its best to go with multiples of 2,4,8,16.

I have been crappy frames in a game he get steller frames and the only rela difference is the amount of RAM.

So could he be correct?

My MOBO is a EVGA x58 1366 BTW.

Cheers!

I dont know who is this genious, but you can send him this picture.

kindofstupid.jpg

Your motherboard is an X58 and support 3 channel DDR3 so its betetr to run 3 identical dim per channel to have the best performance from this chipset. Usually you have 6 ram slot, 2 channel.

Your perfomance issue is not related to your 6gb of ram ;) At least not the fact that you have 6gb ;)

Complet System spec ? and problem ?

Hey Boulard and thanx for the response, kind sir.

Well the issue is in FSX I am getting only ~25FPS while he claims to be getting upwards of 200 (all things being equal). Of course FSX is single core bound so there aint much room to tweak. In any case I have tweaked the FSX.cfg file to death and played with optimizing the crappy FSX code for years. This 6GB RAM issue is a "hail Mary".

System specs
W7 64 bit
x58 EVGA E758
i7 920 (not o/c at present)
3 sticks 2GB OCZ DDR31066(8-8-8-24) @ 1.65v

Last edited:
Your right, FSX is really CPU dependant and if he get more than 200 fps, he might be running the games at much lower IQ (image quality) settings and/or much lower screen resolution.

Lots of people complain about this game ... OCing your CPU might be a solution. Depand on your GPU too ?

GPU EVGA x470 o/c by ~20%, but being that FSuX does not properly leverage it, matters not me thinks.

I have played with o/c the CPU from time to time but it always ends in a hard lock...just cant seem to get the magic combination.

Fsx post patch uses cores. If I recall correctly the first one is pegged while others get less but still.. most cores in fsx is huge.

Alright, so, nothing wrong with the amount of RAM. Buddy is a fool and a lier.

I will revisit o/c and catch up on the forums here..

Thanks guys.

Naaa, your buddy is just plain wrong. No doubt in my mind. You have plenty of ram, and assuming its in the right slots, its running triple channel so... yeah.

Id like to see this guy get a 200FPS on FSX. Low res, low settings and its still damn near impossible.

Going sideways here now:

o/c to 155 fsb @ 1.3000v (16% o/c) vtt +150 ... 3091MHz (cpu i7 920 D0)
RAM 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65 v
Good temps

Hardclocks on stress test after ~5 minutes

Which variable do you suggest I adjust?

Last edited:
ya, your friend is a fool and just trying to brag to make themselves feel better..

Please,, invite them to come post here.

Naaa, your buddy is just plain wrong. No doubt in my mind. You have plenty of ram, and assuming its in the right slots, its running triple channel so... yeah.

Id like to see this guy get a 200FPS on FSX. Low res, low settings and its still damn near impossible.

THIS!

I'm not sure I broke 200 FPS in FSX with low settings, with tweaking the hell out of it and had my cores running at something like 5.35GHz on LN2. He's more than likely full of crap, particularly after that RAM spill. Ask him if he knows how to even disable vsync?:(

Any thoughts on the next move for o/c?

Honestly I have tried for 3 years and it gets tiresome re-reading all the info around the net, was hoping for sage advice quick and painless.

Can you post the CPUz screenshots that were asked for earlier?

Main tab, SPD, and Memory please.... :)

Any thoughts on the next move for o/c?

Honestly I have tried for 3 years and it gets tiresome re-reading all the info around the net, was hoping for sage advice quick and painless.

There's no such thing. Please make the necessary posts for us to help you out-- an OC can be done, but you have to do it right, or else you're doomed to get the results you get when you do it wrong. It sounds redundant, but its been an ongoing problem for 3 years apparently.

Back