• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6300 @ 5.0 ghz random down clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

So randomly my CPU's clock speed will fluctuate fairly often. I understand it will fluctuate a little bit however it will go from 5.0 to 5.1 and sometimes drop to 4.5 or lower for a brief second. All power saving features are disable and LLC for both North bridge and CPU are at as high as it will go. Sometimes the clock will stay fairly consistent for 10 hours + but will it will also occasionally drop down clock. Here is an example. My main question is whether or not I should be worried about whats going on.

Any help is appreciated.
Screenshot (9).png

Is this downclocking happening only under load or does it happen at other times?

Is our Power Option in Windows set to High Performance?

One thing I notice is that your CPU Package temp is maxing out at 69c. That's too high! 60c is about the max for that generation of AMD CPU to be stable. And your vcore is maxing out at 1.536. That is a lot. I would not feel comfortable running it that high except for short periods. I think you could be experiencing thermal throttling.

I think your overclock is too aggressive. You should be looking at about 4.8 ghz.

Last edited:
Is this downclocking happening only under load or does it happen at other times?

Is our Power Option in Windows set to High Performance?

One thing I notice is that your CPU Package temp is maxing out at 69c. That's too high! 60c is about the max for that generation of AMD CPU to be stable. And your vcore is maxing out at 1.536. That is a lot. I would not feel comfortable running it that high except for short periods. I think you could be experiencing thermal throttling.

I think your overclock is too aggressive. You should be looking at about 4.8 ghz.
It happens randomly. Usually when idle I believe. And I am not sure. I would have to check windows. I thought 70 was max core temps.

I don't think it stays at those clocks for very long. Doesn't affect avg clocks at all.

Its faulty software readings most likely. The NB doesn't drop speeds on a cpu throttle.

FX will throttle around 65_70c and thermtrip is 90c (shutdown) while board is set to manual mode cpu won't throttle but the VRMs might but would have to exceed 110c or more in most cases.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice bus clocks at 89.3. Throttle happens at the multiplier. Its not the cpu throttling on the crosshair. That board won't do that.

We recommend max temps of 60*C on your Core (Package) and 70*C on your Socket (CPU) as displayed by HWMonitor.

This is probably nothing at all but my OCD is rebelling at the ram speed - 1700mhz, are you overclocking BUS, multiplier or a mix ?

Its faulty software readings most likely. The NB doesn't drop speeds on a cpu throttle.

FX will throttle around 65_70c and thermtrip is 90c (shutdown) while board is set to manual mode cpu won't throttle but the VRMs might but would have to exceed 110c or more in most cases.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice bus clocks at 89.3. Throttle happens at the multiplier. Its not the cpu throttling on the crosshair. That board won't do that.

So does that mean i should back the clock down a bit?

Test it under load if it's not throttling down then , it might be you still have cool and quiet or other power savings enabled

Okay. Well it hasn't throttled under load, I am using AMD over drive to stability test. I did lower the vcore a little but in the bios. And all other settings like cool n quiet are turned off. Windows is set to performance.

That mother board won't throttle unless its stock all on auto. Its designed for high clocks and world records hence the LN2 and slow post switches.

You will either experience a shut down from thermtrip or smoke the processor.

If you keep it under 70c, you're basically still in safe operating temperature range.

Advice: do not upgrade to the FX-9590.

Keep clocks and voltage if stable.

Use cup-z to monitor your clock speeds. Its small and uses little resources. For temps you can use coretemp which also is small and uses little resources.

6300@5ghz is a monster. I see nothing wrong besides the software you're using at this time isn't totally accurate and gives occasional false readings.

If you do lower clocks to say 4800mhz, you will probably not notice much performance drop but would help keep you in the safe operating temperature range while you can utilize a lower voltage to do so. Power draw to performance will increase in this fashion. Ultimately the choice is yours here.

That mother board won't throttle unless its stock all on auto. Its designed for high clocks and world records hence the LN2 and slow post switches.

You will either experience a shut down from thermtrip or smoke the processor.

If you keep it under 70c, you're basically still in safe operating temperature range.

Advice: do not upgrade to the FX-9590.

Keep clocks and voltage if stable.

Use cup-z to monitor your clock speeds. Its small and uses little resources. For temps you can use coretemp which also is small and uses little resources.

6300@5ghz is a monster. I see nothing wrong besides the software you're using at this time isn't totally accurate and gives occasional false readings.

If you do lower clocks to say 4800mhz, you will probably not notice much performance drop but would help keep you in the safe operating temperature range while you can utilize a lower voltage to do so. Power draw to performance will increase in this fashion. Ultimately the choice is yours here.

Well i dropped the clock to 4.9 and core temps havent exceeded 62.5. I will never get another 9590. F*ck that. Perhaps ill try 4.8. Maybe reset bios and just use multiplier instead. Or maybe should i go to 4.5 and use bus speed to get to 4.8?

Either or. Using bus speed isn't bad but really isn't necessary. Just mind your ram/NB and HT speeds can cause instability. One other note AMD OD stability isn't all that hard on your PC it's fine for general stability IMO but depending on what you do with your PC you may find it still gets pretty warm at 4.8 if under a heavy load similar to P95

I just game. I dont render or anything. Ill bring it down to 4.8 tomorrow. dont have time to stress test it

Do you need over 1.5 vcore for 4.8 ghz? Temps are better. Is it stable? Are you still getting that random down throttling?

Do you need over 1.5 vcore for 4.8 ghz? Temps are better. Is it stable? Are you still getting that random down throttling?
Yes i do. 1.5 and it's really unstable. And it is now. That's the lowest vcore I can get. Unless I go for NB oc. And not from what I saw but it wasn't running more than an hour or two

Okay so the clocks still fluctuate a bunch. It dropped down to 4.6 when there was no load. Screenshot (12).png

I'll put money on the bus clock fluctuation. Most ASUS boards fluctuate but yours seems a bit worse than normal. I see it dropped down to 194 which is ~ 150 MHz. You could try a different BIOS and see if that straightens it out. If not you either live with it or try and RMA the board if it's still in warranty

Back