• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6300 @ 5.0 ghz random down clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll put money on the bus clock fluctuation. Most ASUS boards fluctuate but yours seems a bit worse than normal. I see it dropped down to 194 which is ~ 150 MHz. You could try a different BIOS and see if that straightens it out. If not you either live with it or try and RMA the board if it's still in warranty

As long as its nothing that will die later on ill ignore it. I was just worried there was a problem. This is the second crosshair ive had and i am not going to rma it again. Takes to long. Id rather save up money and build a better system.

Well, then was it stable otherwise at 5.0 ghz on that vcore value? If so, put 'er back up there if you want.

I might. I got to that clock through bus speed oc. I will in a bit. Since doesnt seem its throttling just being a fx chip....

Can you post a pic of the BIOS CPU voltage area. There's a voltage that might help stabilize that ref clock. It's been months since I have messed with my CHVz and I can't be certain but I think it's VDDA should be around the 2.5v range

I hate that you can't upload files bigger than 2 mbs. But here is the picture. Not the best but i think you will be able to read it.

IMG_20170825_145839.jpg

F12 and a thumb drive work great for screen shots in BIOS.
That's the one though try setting VDDA up to 2.65V

F12 and a thumb drive work great for screen shots in BIOS.
That's the one though try setting VDDA up to 2.65V

I tried that. Three times and it wouldnt recognize the drive. idk why. But ill set it to that in a little. Do i need to stress test it>

Just watch the Ref clock at idle which seems to be where you're having issue. May need to go a bit lower than stock it's something you need to tinker with.
For the BIOS shots the thumb drive needs to be formatted FAT32 which most come that way but could be NTFS

Just watch the Ref clock at idle which seems to be where you're having issue. May need to go a bit lower than stock it's something you need to tinker with.
For the BIOS shots the thumb drive needs to be formatted FAT32 which most come that way but could be NTFS
Is there going to be some fluctuating? Like is there an amount that is standard for these chips? Last I saw, it fluctuated 100 mhz up and down.

If the thumb drive is in fact formatted in FAT32 and is not being recognized, try another brand of thumb drive. There can be finicky compatibility issues with thumb drives in bios and even in Windows with some programs. I ran into this the other day with the program called Rufus which is used to create bootable flash drives. Tried another brand and it worked fine. I have seen this in bios as well.

when i go to format the drive, the only options on the format i have are ntfs or fatex. it was already set to fatex. But its not fat32. how to do i format the drive in this format?

Its not the board fluctuating guys. Its w10 and hwm64 being goofy....

I hate to say this but fellas are thinking too much into this lol.

I'd try a partition and run windows 7 and run the recommended software for monitoring that Shrimpy had suggested some posts ago on page one.........

GLHF!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh if you build a new system and wanna sell that top notch board, I may be interested :)

Its not the board fluctuating guys. Its w10 and hwm64 being goofy....

I hate to say this but fellas are thinking too much into this lol.

I'd try a partition and run windows 7 and run the recommended software for monitoring that Shrimpy had suggested some posts ago on page one.........

GLHF!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh if you build a new system and wanna sell that top notch board, I may be interested :)

Okay. well i did what was suggested with VDDA and it seemed to help.

Also If i get the cash to build a system, ill see what happens. i might just give my brother this comp if he doesnt build one before i do. But if i build what i want to build, it will be while. probably looking at 1600 with 1080 or 1080ti. just because overkill is fun. Ill keep you in mind if anything changes though.

Screenshot (13).png

Your hardware is fine. Believe me. I had the exact same board and beat it pretty hard. 5.7ghz on liquid never saw fluctuations like you present with yours.

Slam it home to 5ghz and enjoy. Especially if you don't have problems with it. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken....

when i go to format the drive, the only options on the format i have are ntfs or fatex. it was already set to fatex. But its not fat32. how to do i format the drive in this format?

I think the largest partition that FAT32 can handle is 32gb. If your flash drive is larger than that you would need to reduce the size of the partition with Windows Disk Management. Very easy to do and undo.

Okay. well i did what was suggested with VDDA and it seemed to help.

Also If i get the cash to build a system, ill see what happens. i might just give my brother this comp if he doesnt build one before i do. But if i build what i want to build, it will be while. probably looking at 1600 with 1080 or 1080ti. just because overkill is fun. Ill keep you in mind if anything changes though.

View attachment 192994

Does it throttle at stock settings? That would rule out a software problem.

Should i give the VDDA a little more juice? when it was suggested for me to boost the voltage i looked it up and saw someone talking that with high oc's you want to be 2.5-3.2v. Should i give that a try?

Back