• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 64-bit OS but still get "8GB RAM (3.25 usable)"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokninart

hi guys. I added a new 4GB RAM onto my PC hoping to make it run on 8GB, but I found on Window > System that only 3.25GB are usable out of the 8GB. I have tried all solutions on Google but none of it work. Does anyone using similar hardware run into similar problems? Looking forward to your replies.

My PC:
Mobo: Foxconn G41MXE (BIOS ver: P07)
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5700 3ghz
Graphic: Geforce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 2X 4GB Elite 1333 double channel

Solutions I have tried so far:
1. BIOS upgrade
2. Turn on memory remapping under BIOS
3. Turn on/off Memory Hole under BIOS
4. Disable Integrated Graphic Adapter
5. Uncheck "max memory" under MSCONFIG

Hi and welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Are you certain that

a) You indeed have a 64-bit OS?
b) That you have 8Gb of RAM (make sure it is confirmed by the BIOS).

Please post a CPUz screenshot when you get a chance. ;)

:)

a) I am pretty sure about that. I used the same OS before a change to my current motherboard & CPU. On the old mobo it read the total 4GB RAM.

b) I was gonna say Yes but since you remind it...On the BIOS's system information it shows 8192MB RAM, but on Advance Chipset Feature > Northern Bridge under Memory Remap it shows "MMIO allocation 4GB to 3XXXMB". I am not sure why it shows 4GB there while on sys info it shows differently.

A breakdown of my PC: (Please note that both memory slots show the same)
2ugc6lz.jpg

Last edited:
Try enabling Memory Hole Remapping in the BIOS. Perhaps you need a BIOS update? Another thing to try is to uncheck the MaxMemory option under BOOT in msconfig (access from Start>Run>msconfig).

I tried both and didn't work. I suspect that it was caused by the chipset driver. When I install it it just skip to the completion message without showing any actual installation.

P10 is made to fix issues with the E6850 CPU. Mine is a E5700, so I'm not sure if that's a right upgrade for me. (This image was taken from another forum, pls ignore the red squares)

Attachments

• xpx2S.png
    xpx2S.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,510
There may be other, not mentioned fixes in there regardless. ;)

PARTIALLY SOLVED! I downloaded P10 and, after a brief moment of showing "unable to use" the RAM, System shows that it's using 7.06 out of 8GB! While it's still not the entire amount, I think it's sufficient to play Watch Dogs with.

A big thank to everyone!

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,432
Back