• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.skill Trydent Z problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monch

hey guys,

i´ve been reading up on your forum last few days a lot and tried most of solutions offered relative to my problem.
so i´ve built a new rig found on the following link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/monch147/saved/n4RkTW

and everything technically works, but i´m having some problems with the RAMs. When i boot into OS and open system info it says 16Gb installed (7,95Gb usable). Iin bios both sticks record 8Gb separately.
Than i head to Resource manager and it says there a little over 8Gb is hardware reserved. My mobo does not have integrated graphics so it shouldn´t be that, i´ve made no virtual drives and my graphics card has a 4Gb GPU of its own.
Additionally i´ve tried the msconfig way with limiting memory, checked and unchecked and restart after every change. Additionally i tried disabling paging file, which i now returned to 400-1024Mb.
I´ve tried testing both sticks and when i have only one ram installed OS can use it all, i´ve also tried just switching their position, i´ve tried changing a-xmp profiles from default 1 and 2 to changing the dram specs such as latency and voltage to specified 16-18-18-18-38 and 1,35V.

I´ve been emailing with msi support, while g.skill hasn´t responded in over a week.
So the msi people supplyed me with latest bios i guess.
I had .150 version bios which i downloaded as most recent from their download center, and they send me a link to .160 version, but it did nothing as far as this problem is concerned.

I suspect the problem is software related, and would appreciate any idea or possible solution you guys might have.

Attachments

• task manager.jpg
    task manager.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 130
  • ram problem2.jpg
    ram problem2.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 105
  • ram problem.jpg
    ram problem.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 102
Ryzen has issues with ram speed over 2666 and it's well documented. You'll be lucky to get it near that. Have you tried testing each ram stick in each mem slot with memtest ? I can see the ram is shown in GpuZ and in dual channel mode.

Shut down pc, unplug power, wait a few minutes and clear cmos via jumper or removing cmos battery (check your mobo manual). Remove 1 stick of ram. Put battery back, plug psu back into wall and reboot. Use memtest to test ram. Report back with results.

This isn't a compatibility issue. First make sure your ram is in slots 2 and 4 if they are check this video here he'll show you a couple other fixes for HW reserved memory. Other than that it's likely a BIOS issues.

I have never opened up the window resource monitor before. So, I did. This is what mine looks like, which is a lot different then yours.

Resource Monitor for RAM.jpg

@batboy: yea no **** :D the one on my laptop look a lot different, this is the 1st time I've encountered this problem also. This PC is cursed..

- - - Updated - - -

@Nebulous: i was trying it but i had to install OS since the old one it told me memtest in missing, will post requested results later..
but i ran both of them in dim1 slots and showed no problems found.

It clearly looks like one of the memory sticks is not working correctly. It's probably because of wrong settings or just something has bad contact in memory slot. Reseat memory sticks in slots and check again.
Bad contact usually happens on quad channel platforms. On other platforms it's usually related to wrong settings or too low voltages ( IMC/DIMM ).

It clearly looks like one of the memory sticks is not working correctly. It's probably because of wrong settings or just something has bad contact in memory slot. Reseat memory sticks in slots and check again.
Bad contact usually happens on quad channel platforms. On other platforms it's usually related to wrong settings or too low voltages ( IMC/DIMM ).

Good stuff here. Experience is a great learning tool. Somebody else' experience is a cheap learning tool. :D

yea so tnx for the input so far, i've tested across multiple pcs and it's probably one of the rams, i've contacted the seller and i'll see if a new set will work as it should :)

In most cases it's the motherboard, not RAM. Just saying that you can get new memory kit which will act the same.

Back