• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maclaren

Anyone know if there thinking of releasing a 64 bit ver of bionc?
I have a amd 64 fx at home just waiting to run some 64 bit programs.

I havent heard anything about it but why not just run the 32bit version on it for now?

As mentioned the A64 will happily run the 32 bit version. I would think if a 64bit capability helps the calculations then it shouldnt be too long before a 64bit version appears.

Welcome to the forums btw :D

Same question ... and then some.

AMD64 is out. 64 bit Linux is out. Prelim tests show 64 bit apps running significantly faster than the same 32 bit.

So we should be able to get more WU with 64bit BOINC, amd64, 64 bit linux.

NE1 know if its as simple as recompling the BOINC client with the 64 bit complile flag on? Or is it much more than that?

I'm setting up a farm, where diskless videoless linux nodes boot linux over the network ...... and could set up a 64 bit server booting a few 64 bit linux nodes. AFAIK, the terminal boot software is all currently 32 bit. SOOoo .... it would take some effort for me to go 64 ... Sooo ...

I would love to see some 32 VS 64 benchmarks for BOINC, to know if the hassle of going 64 is worth it.

Thanks!

Looking at the source code, there are some AMD 64-bit optimizations in the works. I have not heard anything about the potential speed improvement though. I have been trying to compile using Microsoft Visual C++ Express, with no luck yet. I have not attempted a Linux compile yet, though I do have a Linux distro installed now (Yoper) and may be able to give a 64-bit Linux compile a shot when time permits. I did manage to compile under CYGWIN (after much hair loss LOL), but I get a shared memory error when BOINC fires up the seti process. That's not a particularly elegant solution in any case--I'd much rather have a native Winodws compile.

You may also want to read this thread for a discussion on optimization efforts and 64-bit. It really looks to me like things pooped out in late '04...hopefully now that the holidays are over, things will pick back up.

I have an AMD64 optimized Boinc client, but it's old, like 3.12 or something. I tried it in XP64 b1218 and it wouldn't download work from berkeley. I ran the benchmark though and got some crazy high numbers, like mid 20k. I can put it on a site if one of you guys want to tinker with it. I don't do any compiling anymore.

I haven't seen precompiled binaries for 64-bit but you can certainly can compile it yourself:
boinc_4.13_amd64-portbld-freebsd6.0: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Back