• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GT all F'ed up...I think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
we have some 6800GTs here @ work, the fan had got stuck on one and was non-fuctional. it was chugging along @ 121 degrees. fixed that right up with some compressed air.

I have my 6800GT running at 428 MHz GPU and 1162 MHz ram, along with my 3200+ 64, and I can run BF2 and Doom 3 both at full rez & graphics settings with no noticable lag, though I havent checked the FPS.
Dan

Last edited:
That0neguy said:
You down clock the ram??

My card is 350 2000 stock...?
???

Err.. according to gpureview most of the 6800GT's run at: Memory Clock: 500 MHz (1000 DDR), so something's not right here. The core clock is normal, but 2000mhz, even DDR, on the RAM? Either your card is reporting clock speeds incorrectly, or there's something else wrong. Download everest from oldversion.com and report back what it says about the graphics processor properties under computer->overclock.

There's a bug with recent nVidia drivers where it reports double the actual memory speed. So 350 2000 is really 350 1000.

Ahhh there we go I guess.Wow that bugs me.If theres bugs like that?What other bugs are there?

Sorry to threadjack, but I'm suffering a similar problem.. starts like this

About 3 weeks ago I was using the system below in my sig, and one day while playing wow I got massive screen corruption and the pc locked up. Upon restarting I went to check my vid card temps and they stated 57c, so I went back into wow while monitoring my temps. After about 10 mins of playing the temps were at 68c and the same corruption happened again. This time after restarting I had corruption in plain old windows and icons were all distorted. I booted into safe mode and everything was fine, so I was a little stumped. I installed new drivers and rebooted to windows only to find massive corruption again.

After all this I chocked it up to a dead core and bought a new 7600GT. Upon installing it everything was fine and I was having no problems.. until today. Again I was playing world of warcraft and all of a sudden I got that screen corruption again.. the same type as was present when I had my 6800gt.. Temps reported on the 7600GT are only 54c under load so I know the card isn't overheating. Things I've tried to remedy the situation that didn't work are: Reinstall older and current drivers, update chipset drivers, underclock my cpu overclock, reinstall games, use a diffrent power lead to the vid card.

Now I'm wondering could this be a faulty agp connector on my mobo? or could it be that 2 cards could fail within 2 weeks of each other even when the 7600gt was brand new and working flawless up until tonight? here is a pic of the corruption
IMG_0083.jpg

doublejack said:
There's a bug with recent nVidia drivers where it reports double the actual memory speed. So 350 2000 is really 350 1000.

Every since I installed the new drivers (a few days ago) when my comp boots RivaTuner has my ram clocked at half the set frequency, and I have to hit the saved "custome overclocking profile" to get the right memclock, is that why and is there some way to fix it (doing that every time windows boots is a pain...)?
Dan

Man I feel your pain.What about your CPU??Maybe thats whats messed up....I NEVER had it mess up on me in windows...Just in a game that demanded the GPU to warm up.

I'm highly doubting it's the cpu, the cpu is still 100% prime95 stable, and I even tried underclocking the cpu just to be certain. The distortion looks alot similar to what used to happen on the geforce 2-4 series when the memory modules would go so I underclocked the memory on the card by 100mhz and was able to play an extra 10 mins before the corruption would occur. Anyhow the card is going back this morning seeing as it's only like 16 days old.. hopefully a new one will remedy the situation.

12am said:
Sorry to threadjack, but I'm suffering a similar problem.. starts like this

About 3 weeks ago I was using the system below in my sig, and one day while playing wow I got massive screen corruption and the pc locked up. Upon restarting I went to check my vid card temps and they stated 57c, so I went back into wow while monitoring my temps. After about 10 mins of playing the temps were at 68c and the same corruption happened again. This time after restarting I had corruption in plain old windows and icons were all distorted. I booted into safe mode and everything was fine, so I was a little stumped. I installed new drivers and rebooted to windows only to find massive corruption again.

After all this I chocked it up to a dead core and bought a new 7600GT. Upon installing it everything was fine and I was having no problems.. until today. Again I was playing world of warcraft and all of a sudden I got that screen corruption again.. the same type as was present when I had my 6800gt.. Temps reported on the 7600GT are only 54c under load so I know the card isn't overheating. Things I've tried to remedy the situation that didn't work are: Reinstall older and current drivers, update chipset drivers, underclock my cpu overclock, reinstall games, use a diffrent power lead to the vid card.

Now I'm wondering could this be a faulty agp connector on my mobo? or could it be that 2 cards could fail within 2 weeks of each other even when the 7600gt was brand new and working flawless up until tonight? here is a pic of the corruption
IMG_0083.jpg
I just finally got a similar problem fixed today. I was unsure what was going on but had massive screen corruption at first some bsods and exceptions. Soon it would boot and when it went to my desktop the picture would just go blank. I did a repair install and still had issues. I removed the Nvidia display drivers through the control panel, reinstalled them and all was fine. I installed Coolbits and again my screen went blank at desktop, even though I could hear the starup music. I repeated the un/install and it's fine again. Weird thing is that it had Coolbits had been installed all week before it happend.

So to follow up, I took the card back to my retailer and they threw it in thier test bench, and the card ran 3dmark06 loops for an hour without problems, so they told me I could not return the card as it was a problem on my end somewhere. Bieng totally fed up with my old system and some of it's little wierd problems I just junked the whole thing and built a new core2 duo E6400 system with 2gigs of hyperx pc6400 a 8800GTS and a new sata seagate drive. The retailer was nice enough to give me my money back on the 7600GT I purchased a few weeks ago because I was buying a new system. Long and short it was the best thing I could've ever done all my problems are now long gone and the new system is faster than I could've ever imagined :).

I had a similar problem with my evga 6800GT as well. I realized that the back hold down plate was making contact with the soldered pins on the back side of the GPU. This happened to me not to long after I flashed it to an Ultra so I assumed that I fried it with the extra volts. I didn't. I fixed this by removing the black back plate, and placed an insulator material (piece of anti-static) bag between the backing plate and the card. That fixed the problem and I never had any issues with it again. :beer:

Well I hate to dig this thread up, yet again. So the card finally gave out on me. Went from being all good when I got it cool. To crashing every hour on the hour like before. Now it gives me a static logo and when it goes in loading windows it shows all kind spades and random letters, it's weird.

So I bought this card last night.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150166

Now will this card be like my old card as far as performance goes?

it should. my buddy has that card but my 6800 ultra still whomps on his card. but the 512mb of ram will help out at higher res.

it should be be a little slower than your 6800gt at stock clocks but i dont know how well it oc's

Yea, I would have liked to got another GT. Those things own, but my bills own me :bang head :bang head

I heard some talk on OCing these things. I would like to see performance like my old card. But I also don't want to **** this one up like the last one. What is the safe temp I should run it at?

Thanks for the help.

IT should run cooler but i would treast it as your 6800. keep it under 65c "i dont like anything over that"

could of got a gs unlocked it to a gt for about the same price as the 7600.

Post up them temps when you install that card and oc it and 3dmark it loging the temp with riva tuner. i dont know about ocing the 7600gs agp but good luck with ocing it. let me know how its does.

Back