• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74 GB Raptor Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alacritan said:
Don't forget the $25 rebate if you get it through NewEgg.
Yep. But when I got mine, they were $10 rebates each and the deadline to mail them in was Dec 1st (got mine sent off).

Have they gone up to $25 now?!? Whoa!

Should I be very concerned with my test results? I don't like how it spikes down towards the end. I am using a silicon 3112 controller that's built on my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Attachments

• hdtach (Small).JPG
    hdtach (Small).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 143
One problem with what you guys are doing is that you are only looking at benchmarks. There is no reference to real world use. The post the Vio had about why he does not belive in Raptor RAID0 is very good because if you read it he actually timed load times of different programs that he uses and noticed no improvement in real world speeds. I have done the same thing with 2x 80 gb IDE drives in RAID0, tested using real world programs and noticed virtually no change in load times for programs, games and game maps. I am going to test it for my 2x 36 gb SCSI drives that are in RAID0 to see how much SCSI benefits from raid as well.

I think everyone should read the link posted by Vio:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=310250

and this post that has the results of some real world tests that I did with 2x IDE drives:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=345748&page=2

i am not saying that RAID0 is bad, hell i use it in 2 of my computers, I am just saying that those Benchmarks do not mean anything. Each of the tests by both me and Vio include benchmarks. The benchmarks are the only thing effected by RAID0 for both of our tests.

Make sure your scsi is using a PCI 32bit card, not onboard scsi as they usually are PCI 64bit.

I do not agree with Vio's post there, period.

You hit it righ on the nose. We are talking about benchmarks.

Those benchmarks shows are at the limit of the PCI 32bit bus (133MB/s), so we won't see much difference since a single 73GB performs about 10-20% less.

Now, get a SATA PCI 64bit card and I'll show you a whole nother world of performance of comparing SATA vs. SCSI.

The fact is we have maxed out the bus of 32bit PCI slots with 2 or more HDs in RAID 0 (and RAID5 with 3+ drives). It's time for PCI Express SATA RAID controllers (i'm picking one up when they are a mainstream).

If you go through the HUGE expense of obtaining a motherboard with 64bit slots and a 64bit SCSI or SATA raid card, then you'll have major benifits.

You can't compare a new 420HP Vette with 8 cylinders (the V8 = PCI 64bit bus) to an 275HP NSX (V6 = 32bit bus). Sure, the NSX can nearly keep up on tight corners and road racing. But in a straight line (transfer rates), the Vette (SCSI) will severly demolish the NSX (SATA). From a dead or a 20 roll.

Last edited:
eduncan911 said:
Yep, these days. When I bought my drives (just like 2 months ago :( ), the 36GBs were less then 1/2 the price (~$110 vs $240 oem/pricewatch). Now the the 73GBs are ~$177, and 36GBs are ~$108 oem. So yep, better value these days.

-E

lucky americans :D

74GB - 228$
36 - 127$

Germany prices :(

Back