• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

775 so umm whos game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i agree nik if the locks cant be beaten.
the 865 chipset AS* from abit i dont think would have the locks built in as its teh chipsets themselves doing it.

i think its just a matter of the bios's being modified from the makers as im sure alot is pre-written for them from intel for the chipsets themselves.

time will tell tho.

im still looking for the 775 cpu's and the pci-x video cards.

They are not overclockable and much like ATI will not support new technologies that you would expect them to. Why does everyone spend all of their energy on old technologies like ATI and Intel. Nvidia and AMD is a much better, longer last route to take (as far as how long it will take to become obselete). Anyone who buys an x800 needs to be shot in the face. IT does not support SM3.0 which when all of the games go to that you will miss that feature. Did I mention ATI does not support Linux? Did I also mention that ATI does not perform as well on OpenGL (the thing that Doom3 will be made on, Valve is stupid...).

L>MS said:
They are not overclockable and much like ATI will not support new technologies that you would expect them to. Why does everyone spend all of their energy on old technologies like ATI and Intel. Nvidia and AMD is a much better, longer last route to take (as far as how long it will take to become obselete). Anyone who buys an x800 needs to be shot in the face. IT does not support SM3.0 which when all of the games go to that you will miss that feature. Did I mention ATI does not support Linux? Did I also mention that ATI does not perform as well on OpenGL (the thing that Doom3 will be made on, Valve is stupid...).

who cares about what you think about x800's?

this post is garbage.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
who cares about what you think about x800's?

this post is garbage.

I'm OK with the post, just don't care to get shot in the face, or any other part of my anatomy for that matter.

(7200?)

If the cpu goes to bios to confirm fsb spec then it seems that it would be important to know that the processor tested was an ES sample, no?

Silver said:
If the cpu goes to bios to confirm fsb spec then it seems that it would be important to know that the processor tested was an ES sample, no?
could be i think the issues are from the chipsets themselves.
but with an ES all that could be bypassed using higher multi's
but how many like us own ES's lol

im not buying a 775 chip or mobo until i know i can not be defeated by locks.ill stay with what i have for a while and head back to the other side or something.

That northbridge heatsink is SWEEEEEEET! Something tells me that it might be a weee bit hot if Abit put this much design effort into it.

Check it out:

13-127-182-01.JPG

cursor said:
That northbridge heatsink is SWEEEEEEET! Something tells me that it might be a weee bit hot if Abit put this much design effort into it.

Check it out:

13-127-182-01.JPG
that mobo will not work for me. see those big caps located in the square the 4 holes around the socket make? is gonna be issues for my prommy as it wont sit flush with the mobo.

Perhaps a stupid question, but are the layout for the mounting holes the same as on the 478? Wondering If I would need a different water block top?.....

look differant to me.
here is the AA8-DuraMAX 925 from abits site and the AS8 865
the lga 775 will need new tops or hold downs.

the 865 version seems to stay with the 478 socket theme.

ill have to research alot before i can buy one as i know those caps sticking up will couse issues for me.

Attachments

• aa8-duramax-lg.jpg
    aa8-duramax-lg.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 43
  • as8_lg.jpg
    as8_lg.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 46
Its going to be a sad day if Intel's idea for limiting fsb overclocking becomes a standard :-/ Of course, since Intel has never really liked the idea of overclocking, and makes the majority of its money off of OEM's and non-enthusiasts....yeah.

As for the idea of a "disposable socket," that just makes me cringe.

deathstar13 said:
look differant to me.
Yes they look different because the CPU socket is bigger... but, that does not mean that the socket holes are different. Need a diffinitive answer.

the 775 looks square the 478 is rectangle just a tad.

what i do notice also is the mobos have changed from neweggs pics from abits website.abits dont show the caps in the mentioned area altho neweggs does.

I agree with Nik... I'd like to know if the waterblock will be different too. When I get a spare minute, I'll download the datasheet and compare it with the socket 478 design.

I was hot to get the new Abit AG8, but like what everyone else has said, think I'll wait for more data first. Some of this early info is not encouraging, especially about how fragile the socket might be.

Back