• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800GS component out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blurry

What are my options for component output? Can I use a S-video, DVI, or VGA -> component cable?

Your system is pretty close to mine except I stuck a dothan in it. I used to have exactly the same p4 2.6c in mine, same crappy overclock as well. Some video cards come with an S-video > component adaptor, so use that. I haven't heard of a DVI or VGA > component adaptor. I use the s-video to connect to my crt tv , good image quality but I have to alter the overlay settings to get the right brightness, saturation, contrast.

I've looked on my usual source for cables (monoprice) and can't find anything that would work. My EVGA graphics card was only bundled with the S-video cable and not the S-video to component adapter I've also seen other cards bundled with.

Have you gotten that cable to work with other TVs? It's quite a pricey one, and I don't want to be stuck with a cable I can't use. I also wonder if the 7800GS and 7900GS differ enough that the DVI outputs might not be the same.

blurry said:
I also wonder if the 7800GS and 7900GS differ enough that the DVI outputs might not be the same.
They should be the exact same. DVI ports on video cards are 100% identical in that they have DVI-I ports, which support both digital and analog output signals.

Every 7800gs only has a svideo / composite out, dvi and vga... with out a proper converter you simply cant get component (Y, Pb, Pr) out of the card

bryan_d said:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...04&p_id=2705&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

27051.jpg

I have an ATI DVI-->RGB adapter similar to this unit, but I cannot seem to get it to work with my brother's new 60" sony DLP. :(

Good luck,

bryan d

as for the cable above you will never get it to work with almost all tv's that accept component input, as that cable just takes the analog R G B channels and puts them to rca connectors... component video has 3 rca connectors with the R G and B channels seperated like the cable above but it also has horizontal and vertical sync running over the Green channel... but its not as simple as taking a VGA connection (sometimes refered to RGBHV... standing for Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal sync, Vertical sync, all on different channels aka different wires) and seperating the r g b out to rca connectors and putting the horizontal and vertical wires on the green wire also... it takes special modulation.

with that outta the way, the best way to hook up to a hdtv would be dvi to hdmi. but thats only if the tv has it.

I don't have HDMI inputs on the TV but I do have YPbPr inputs, so I'm guessing my only option is to find one of those S-video to component dongle/cables?

Back