• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card EVGA GT 640 the component marked is exactly SOT-363 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aug

Registered
Hello. All good with you ? Thanks for reading my topic.
I have novice eletronic knowledge.
I have an damaged video card model EVGA GT 640.
That video card was analyzed only one component is damaged. Not damages in vcore area.
That component is melted being hard to identify. Have 6 pins ( 3 in each side ).
In image the component is between red lines.

That component is the SOT-363 , SOT-363-3 or SOT-363-6 ? both are similar ?
I see another detail about SOT being polarity ... that SOT is NPN , N-channel or P-channel ?
SOT-363 , SOT-363-3 or SOT-363-6 are only NPN ?

Thanks for reading.
Have an nice week.

4.jpg.20cb0822a2bf5e526249a706aa479c8a.jpg

Welcome to the forums @aug .

While you could attempt to replace the spent chip it is generally a better idea to replace the entire card. Repairing the board takes some specialty tools that will cost considerably more than this budget card is worth. For instance, you can replace this old GT 640(2GB) with a new GT 710 (2GB) for $55. If you wanted to upgrade you could go to a GT 730 (4GB) for $80.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer on the SOT but hopefully, this is a viable alternative solution for you.

@Blaylock
Thanks very much for your reply.

I have an friend will change the damaged component. I need identify and buy it.
Perhaps is simple repair that video card.
The problem is identify that component.

I have used an cell phone camera to read that component and was possible read the naming.
That component have the naming K6N27 and have 6 pins.
However I not see any component to buy using internet search using the naming K6N27.

Thanks very much for any help.

I'm finding plenty of SOT-383 chips, but none with that identifier. You may need to research how these are identified and if it's critical to match it or not. Many components like these have an acceptable range so alternatives can be used. Again, no idea if yours is this way though.

Also keep in mind, you said that component melted. It didn't melt for no reason, which means just replacing it may lead you right back to a dead card pretty quickly, or even instantly upon giving it power again.

The fan wire had touched the component thus melting the component.
Also was done an analyze in that video card and others components are damaged.
Only is damaged that melted component.

Really the component is the MMDT3904.
Removed the damaged component and replaced with MMDT3904.
Now Video card power on.
Need tests power on for long time and 100 % for confirm if is having correct voltage and amperage in vcore.

Thanks very much for all users replying in my topic.
Have an nice week.

Your friend must be skilled. I must admit I'm surprised it works but yay!

Oh yes ... my friend is skilled ... changed the component and video card working ...
I want share an share moment had happened here =)

Well ... the video card had power on in BIOS ... thus need start the OS.
OS is Linux Ubuntu 20.04 using kernel 6.2.1.
Thus the correct behavior is the OS will start loading the default nouveau driver and after the user install the Nvidia driver.
When the OS was starting the boot message lines show wrong lines with color artifacts and finished the OS startup an total blank screen with display showing message "resolution out of scale" and the OS crashed.
Even trying an clean USB boot install the same blank screen.

I began thinking when the video card component was melted had damaged the memory too ...

After I had used an boot menu to avoid load the nouveau driver. OS was started with correct video output and installed nvidia driver.
Thanks to God ... that problem was an nouveau driver issue.
Video card working correctly ...

About when using the nouveau driver with strange artifacts colors perhaps the nouveau driver had done an wrong gpu or memory frequency above of default doing the wrong colors look as the memory are damaged.
Have care if you have an geforce 600 series trying use kernel 6.2.1.
If I had used that nouveau for more time will damage my repaired video card.
Perhaps as Nvidia have dropped support for 600 series the nouveau is having any change in driver code doing that issue.
I will report it in nouveau driver support.

Using an solder to change the component not is easy.
However using an soldering station is much more easy, but need skill too =)

Last edited:
Back