• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7870 OC making games run in 'hyperspeed'?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wigglers

Hey guys,
So recently built mid range gaming rig and couldn't be happier for stock performance. All in all it is performing better than all the reviews and benchmarks I have read about on the web (MSI 7870 OC Edition). However, I am facing some weird issues. When I overclock the GPU and CPU using the BIOS, MSI Afterburner OR AMD Overdrive, it causes certain games to run as if a fast forward was turned on. Tomb Raider being one of these. Crysis 2 and 3 also were having Cinematic issues and would have random frame pop ins. Bioshock Infinite would refuse to run at all. Initially I could not for the life of me find out why this was. Turned off the overclocking and removed MSI Afterburner and surely enough it worked fine. Anyone have any experience with this? Viable ways to get around this? Loving the performance and the overclocking headroom on the 7870. Just want to squeeze as much as I can out of this thing; more importantly on the CPU.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
System Specs:
AMD FX 6100 95w @ 3.3 gHz- OC'ed 4.1
MSI HD 7870 OC Edition 1175Mhz Core, 1375 Mem Clock
Asus M5A99X Mobo
8GB GSkills 1600 RAM
500Gb HD
DVD/RW Drive
Thermaltake TR2 600w ( I know it blows)

Last edited:
It sounds a bit like you're having stability issues with those overclocks. Set EVERYTHING back to stock clocks, and then overclock 1 thing at a time. Do the GPU and VRAM separately. Test each component thoroughly with the appropriate software (Heaven and 3DMark for the video card, and Prime95 and Intel Burn Test or OCCT for the CPU), and make sure you use 2 different stress tests just to be sure. Leave them to run for at least 12+ hours in the case of the CPU and 4+ hours on the video card.

Set your RAM speed, timings and voltage manually in the BIOS exactly as they appear on the sticker on your RAM modules. Afterburner is great, but make sure you're using the /xcl method (Google it), instead of unofficial overclocking if you're going to extend your clocks beyond the stock clock limits.

Back