• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GTO Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
with both cards at stock, I don't know which one would be better, however I'd guess that the 7900gto oc'ed to gtx speeds would be faster than the 7950.

Sorry about the double post, but I have 2 questions:

1. Should I update to the newest GTO BIOS? (Rev. 03) I have Rev. 01 right now.

2. Is there a way to flash the BIOS without using a floppy? I don't have a floppy drive in my pc :S

Nandro said:
Just out of curiosity, whats faster the 7950 GT or the 7900 GTO? I hd to get a card for my other rig to replace a 7800GTX I sold and seeing no GTO's being sold anymore and the great prices on the 7950's, I got one. Just wondering which I should keep in my main rig.

I'm pretty sure the GTO is faster than the GT @ stock speeds. I'll go check it out though.

dan

Raptord said:

I wouldn't. I think that BIOS crippled my memory OC to something like 750mhz.

2. Is there a way to flash the BIOS without using a floppy? I don't have a floppy drive in my pc :S

I think you can also make a boot cd as well.

dan

Raptord said:
Sorry about the double post, but I have 2 questions:

yea... make bootable CD from nero.
1.Take a floppy disk and Create an MS-DOS startup disk
2.Copy flash utility and the bios
3.Insert cd and start "make bootable cd" from nero.....and u've done it
cd is acting like a floppy.

P.S. u need comp who has floopy, cd/rw and NERO.....:bday:

Looks like the 7950GT and the 7900GTO are neck in neck according to the reviews on that site. I guess I will do a first hand comaprison either tomorrow or the day after and let you guys know how it works out. Looks like a cool site, too bad its not in english. I dont hav the patience to translate everything.

Nandro said:
Mine is an EVGA and right now it is all stock. isnt 1.9 prety high for voltage dan? Mine says its at 1.4 and 1.3

Well, the chips are supposedly rated for 1.8-2.0, that's what some guys told me, so I think 1.9 should be ok. What has perplexex me is the fact that GTX's ship with the memory @ 2.15. I'm going over to Samsung.com to see if it's true.

Are you sure your're measuring the voltage @ the right spot? 1.4 is IMO way to low, and I'm sure the card doesn't lower the memory voltage when on 2d mode, only the Vgpu.

*edit*

I read @ Samsung.com that BJ11 operates @ 2.0v +/-.1v, so 2.1v should still be a safe voltage. On the othe hand, BC11 operates @ 1.8 +/- .1v.

My memory starts to artifact in Win when the voltage exceeds around 2.04. I'm going to check whether I have BJ11 modules or not.

dan

dan

Last edited:
I just got my 7950GT for my other rig today, and it is really pretty even. Originally it scored 1000 points more in 3d03, but after it heated up I had to lower the core a bit, and its a dead heat. Dan, if you have a modified bios that may help me push this thing, maybe you can email it to me. [email protected]

I do have to say that the 7950GT is really very close, and for the price, well worth it if you cant find a GTO. I realize they are hard to find now.

Nandro said:
I just got my 7950GT for my other rig today, and it is really pretty even. Originally it scored 1000 points more in 3d03, but after it heated up I had to lower the core a bit, and its a dead heat. Dan, if you have a modified bios that may help me push this thing, maybe you can email it to me. [email protected]

Hmm, I don't know much about 7950gt's, but I think most 7900gt tweaks should apply to it. I'll do some searching on the matter.

dan

Well, how's everyone doing? I bet you've already sold your cards to get the monster GF8 cards.

Just wanted to update, that my memory is now reaching 870, after reaplying AS5 on the core, removing the case cover, and placing an 80mm intake fan right under the car. I also slightly bumped the Vmem, to 1.92, and it has been working like a charm. 47° Atitool load temps :D, this is a damn cool card...

I still don't know why my mem doesn't like anything over around 1.94v... anything over that... and the OCability decreases exponentially, and this chips are rated to 2.00v.

dan

Dan0512 said:
Well, how's everyone doing? I bet you've already sold your cards to get the monster GF8 cards.

Yeh ... sold my GTO the other day here at the forums , but it was hard to let it go .
After seeing the my bro's 8800GTX in action (and the added eye candy it brings) .... well.... I got suckered into a 8800GTS . No regrets really , but I do miss the 7900GTO for the price/performance ratio .

BTW ... before I sold my GTO I read about some DirectX 9 updates that helped add abit more textures and such in games . Well I updated the 9c (Dec 06 edition) and low and behold ... yes it did and more eye candy to most of my exsisting games (subtle but still there) . The update did bring my GTO closer looking to the 8800 series in games .
This may not work for all , depending on other factors ; but it worked for me .
I guess the update is a pre-curser to Direct 9L ,or what ever its called that will be in Vista for DirectX 9 cards.

Give it a try... ;)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/DirectX-9.0c-Redistributable.shtml#

Last edited:
stereo555 said:
Yeh ... sold my GTO the other day here at the forums , but it was hard to let it go .
After seeing the my bro's 8800GTX in action (and the added eye candy it brings) .... well.... I got suckered into a 8800GTS . No regrets really , but I do miss the 7900GTO for the price/performance ratio .

BTW ... before I sold my GTO I read about some DirectX 9 updates that helped add abit more textures and such in games . Well I updated the 9c (Dec 06 edition) and low and behold ... yes it did and more eye candy to most of my exsisting games (subtle but still there) . The update did bring my GTO closer looking to the 8800 series in games .
This may not work for all , depending on other factors ; but it worked for me .
I guess the update is a pre-curser to Direct 9L ,or what ever its called that will be in Vista for DirectX 9 cards.

Give it a try... ;)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/DirectX-9.0c-Redistributable.shtml#

thx for sharing, I'll give it a try.

dan

Dan0512 said:
thx for sharing, I'll give it a try.

dan

NP ... :) .

Also to note this update does not seem to appear with os's "auto update" thingy . I tried it through the regular MS auto update page and it never popped up with anymore 9c goodness . But it does come into play with the MS Direct9C update page here too : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en .

I usually do about all my x64 updates with the os's auto update ; but I did the "Dec 06" update from one of the two pages I listed , and it added about another 46mb to my existing 9c .

A few games I have were an instant noticeable improvment in IQ .... Star Wars Empire at War/+expansion , GRAW , some in COH , FarCry , Sin EP1 ... not much if anything noticed in BF1/ BF2 related games .

well I joined the club just recently, replacing my lovely 7600GT to an MSI GTO, so far so good, but i still need to do some oveclocking, i couldnt go above 703/732.

MSI 7900GTO

I've applied the voltmodd exactly as Dan0512 wrote it down here.With a 3H Pencil,cost 75HUF :~26cent.( default voltage on my card was:1.82V
)I've set the voltage to 1.92V- I think it's far enough,but it goes higher.At my first try it was 2.15V!!! and worked.After then flashed the card with the MSI GTX BIOS.Now I have a 7900GTX at stock clockrates (650/800).Stable and without any kind of image error.
Thanx:)

Raus74 said:
I've applied the voltmodd exactly as Dan0512 wrote it down here.With a 3H Pencil,cost 75HUF :~26cent.( default voltage on my card was:1.82V
)I've set the voltage to 1.92V- I think it's far enough,but it goes higher.At my first try it was 2.15V!!! and worked.After then flashed the card with the MSI GTX BIOS.Now I have a 7900GTX at stock clockrates (650/800).Stable and without any kind of image error.
Thanx:)

Did you get any artifacts with 2.15v?

dan

Back