• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900's "safe" now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I had bought a 7900gtx in May, and I was unfortunately one of those people who got one of the infamous faulty 7900 series cards. Fast forwards to now- I'm helping a friend order parts for a new pc, and I'm wondering if I should suggest a 7900gt/gto as an option for him. So, how are the 7900's doing now? Did nVidia work out the bugs, or are there still some bad cards floating around?

i have not heard about many new problems with them... i would think that you are good to go...

I think the GTX's are fine, but if you still have doubts, stay away from the super-clocked versions. I would suggest picking up an eVGA as theier customer service is said to be non-nonsense and hassle free.:)

Technically the 7900gto came out because the gtx cards couldnt hold their memory freqencies well enough, and nVidia was to sell off as many g71 cores as they can before the g80 hits. The vast majority can hold their freqencies like the old batch of 7900gt cards the the number that can fail was enough to spur nVidia to down clock the cards. Basically the problems with the g71 series still exist but massive steps have been taken to solve the problem as best as possible which cause most to not consider the g71 series a problem anymore. If you do have a problem with a video card nVidia's parters are most likely so used to dealing with failed cards that you can get it replaced right away (especially if you buy eVGA)

Right now the 7900gto offers the best price performance in the high end which justifies buying it over an ATi card even if you are scared that it will fail, which it most likely wont.

By infamous fault I take it to mean you're talking about the overheating memory voltage ICs and the BIOS bug that would permenately lower the voltage to RAM if certain conditions were met, introducing artifacting. The MSI 7900GT I bought from Newegg back in late August had this problem. The replacement I got from Newegg had the same problem after a little bit longer. I had done no overclocking at all.

I said screw MSI, asked Newegg to accept a return with no restocking fee (which normaly would have been $40), they they agreed to, then got an eVGA instead. No problm after two months.

I've had my 7900GT since early june and had zero problems with it. even have it volt modded.

ive had my evga 7900gt for 7 months and the problem has just arisen. I called monarch to tell them the BS that was going on and asked for a better card.

An eVGA 7950GT KO will be coming tomorrow :) <3 monarch

jcll2002 said:
ive had my evga 7900gt for 7 months and the problem has just arisen. I called monarch to tell them the BS that was going on and asked for a better card.

An eVGA 7950GT KO will be coming tomorrow :) <3 monarch

Nice, I got my evga 7900GT just after they came out from Newegg and I am just now seeing issues. Time to call up Evga, but I hate to get some refurb item out of it.

Back