• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790i & OCZ memory timings- Lockups/freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjdubs

Hi, thanks for viewing. I'm experiencing system freezes, complete lockups. Memtest86+ won't finish as it freezes as well. I believe my memory settings in BIOS are incorrect, can someone help me get the settings right?

My system is:
Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad 6850
XFX 790i Ultra SLI
4 GB OCZ Platinum 2x 2GB -- OCZ3P16002G
GTX 560i Graphics
WD Velociraptor 300GB HD
Antec True Power Quatro 850 Watt Power Supply

Most up to date drivers, as well as the latest BIOS P10

BIOS Settings:

FSB - Memory Clock Mode (Linked)
FSB - Memory Ration (Sync Mode)
FSB (QDR), MHz 1333.3
Mem MHz 1333.3
P1 (auto) P2 (auto)
-------
tCL (CAS Latency) Auto(7)
tRCD Auto(7)
tRP Auto(7)
tRAS Auto(20)
Commands Per Clock (CMD) 2T
-------
tRRD Auto 4
tRC Auto 28
tWR Auto 12
tWTR Auto 16
tFAW Auto 17
tREF 7.8uS
tRFC Auto 60
-----------
CPU Core Auto 1.25V
CPU FSB Auto 1.2V
Memory 1.900V
nForce SPP 1.35V
nForce MCP 1.550V
------------
Limit CPUID MaxVal (Disabled)
Intel Speedstep Auto
PPM Mode Native
CPU Thermal Control Disabled
C1E Enhanced Halt State Disabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled
Virtualization Enabled
-----

Thank you very much for any help.

Unlink the FSB - Memory Clock at the default FSB of 333MHz (Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: 1333.3), FSB - Memory Ratio: Auto, and change the DRAM frequency to 1600 (x MEM (DDR), MHz: 1600). You may also need to bump nForce SPP to 1.45V, change tRAS to 24, and loosen tRFC to ~88-90. Also try bumping the DRAM voltage to 1.95 and / or loosening one or more of the primary timings, this only if Memtest86+ fails after changing the above settings.

Thanks redduc. I'll test that.

I may have found a likely reason for some of my lockups; bad SATA cables, loose connection at the drives. Though this all started when BIOS went into safe mode complaining about memory timings.

I've only got one spare SATA cable until I get to a store for more for my other drives.

So for now it's stable, I hope it remains so.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it very much.

Back