• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 Pin CPU power Gigabyte 890GX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Why in the hell are they putting 8 pin (4x2) CPU power leads on consumer level motherboards? I am really starting to lean away from blaming the PSU manufacturers for bad power and am leaning toward believing the MB manufacturers have shi**y capacitance systems set up for the CPU power. Personally I think they need a 24v 20A drop down system and the CPU be fed leveled, filtered and metered power. I mean really wht the hell all the CAP's if the capacitance is that bad?

Am I missing something?

OK done with that.

seems like i read that it is only to provide a little more stable power to the cpu i hope that helps you

seems like i read that it is only to provide a little more stable power to the cpu i hope that helps you

That is the problem. Already with 2 12v being broken down to less than 2 volts you are looking at awesome amperage. So they want better power? Why not improve the capacitance system?

Pretty sure it has to do with maximum safe rated amperage being drawn on a single 18 gauge wire (whatever it is they use on PSUs), and pushing beyond 150W via overclocking.

Keeps it in spec so they can still say "ATX or EPS specification" and not lose OEM sales.

Blame the DIce/LN2 crowd I guess :) heh heh

Yeah I am beginning to get that:) But as far as stability the MB manufacturers may consider a higher capacitance system to increase stability.

I will probably getting some dice in the next couple of days:)

Back