• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8052 on 3dmark2001!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
unless your going for a Geforce2 Ultra, the 7500 will beat almost every other Geforce2 in fps and its visual quality+dvd is unsurpassed, my adivce-look for a cheap ultra and if you dont find it, ordere a 7500

......about Nvidia vs. ATI, i like ATI's compromise between 2D and 3D, they realize htat some people do more than play games, but as companies i like both ATI and Nbvidia and i like the 8500 because we need both companies pumping out comepeting cards, noone should have topay 500$ (cough, cough Geforce2 Ultra, cogh cough Geforce3) for a video card, i can make a whole computer for that much money....

PJD said:
I still won't buy an ATI. It's a great price for a card with the abilities it has, but I used to be in both the ATI and Matrox corners and look what they've done before. The bonus with nVidia is options. They make the chip and it's up to the individual card makers to compete. LeadTek and VisionTek seem similar, but LeadTek makes better software. With ATI, what happens if you don't like their software. OCZ also makes a Ti500 that is above spec. Many possibilities is what I like. ATI reminds me of Intel in that you like some of what they do, but you're stuck with the rest of it. If anything, nVidia reminds me of AMD; they both make the chips and leave it up to the other guys to make the boards.

I believe like most do that the reason you guys want ATI so much is the way nVidia handled 3DFX. Deal with it!

What ATI has done before is obviously different from what they are doing today. ATI is also allowing their chips to be used on 3rd party cards....just like nVidia.

And no the reason I want ATI is because it has always been better in other places like DVD and 2D. They are now making a great 3D card, one of the fastest ever seen. And by golly look at that, not only does it still have that 2D and DVD support, its $100 cheaper. Yes what they did to 3DFX was cowardly and they did it out of fear. Let's see how they try and kill off ATI now.

no way will the ti500 score anywhere close to 8500 stock speeds, but in turn, the radeon will score 8k at stock speeds, but will be limited in it's top end score, due to poor overclocking results obtained by the radeon, i've seen it in my own rig. my score below is at a modest overclock on the board/cpu, and a pretty decent overclock on the gfx card, and i'm close to 9k on a full bench. i've hit well over 9k but the benchmark is not complete, i cannot get it to run the poly tests at extraordinary fsb speeds, but the funny thing is the system will sit stable at those fsb speeds and play any game i want, it's just 3dmark it doesn't like, workin on that though. anyhow, the radeon does score higher default speeds, but is definitely capped in the overhead. As far as ATI vs Nvidia, i wont' enter that argument on one side or the other, either card will give you more performance than you need rightnow and for a good while. the price on the radeon is right, but it does have some game compatibility issues still, hopefully the driver support will continue and improve, as yet i've seen not much gained in the new drivers, aside from a few features that aren't really handy just yet. i've got both cards, i run the ti500 all the time now for gaming, but i'll use the radeon in another system i build coming soon to play with and use as a server system, but i'll not bash the 8500 simply because it's new and needs help from it's manuf to get it to top performance, and until it's shown that it won't get it, i'll call it a better buy for the money. but once ATI shows it's driver support isn't adequate, i'll ditch any recommendation for it i've ever given, one too many burns from ATI at that point. and to all you image quality folks out there, i've not seen one decent difference in the two, in any game for that matter. the hardware is simply eons beyond the software since you can max out all settings in any game out there and still run smooth, looks great, and no problems at all. until the software gurus come out with games specifically designed for a piece of hardware you won't see any of those differences in my opinion.

Update: God damn the DVD player sucks bad, I get more BSOD's and freezes using the ati player. Also am getting a ton of artifacts on NHL 2002 and a few other games,stability still sucks with these drivers in many games i am finding.:confused:

Thanks for the comments guys.

One other thing you might be able to help with. I've oc'd my system (not the geforce card) and get two problems:

1. Locks up 3dmark2001 on the dragolithic high detail
2. Get weird flickers on my graphics card (very occasionally) in windows and alot on the front screens of Dungeon Keeper 2 - the gamplay is fine, just the intro screens.

I had FSB @ 140 x10 mult and backed it down to 133 and the flickering seemed to go (I suspect it doesn't like the oc AGP). This left me with a 1.2 @ 1276 (9.5x133). 3dmark now runs fine and flickering was gone. Cranked up to 10.5x133 (which is where I was at with 10x140 and 3dmark runs no worries but the flickering returned to DK2.

Any ideas.

artifacting and flickering, as well as 3dmark locks, are usually linked to one of 3 things:

1-fsb is too high for a pci card you have, or hdd.

2-heat generated by the gfx or cpu that is in excess of hardware tolerances for stable performance, commonly the gfx card, since cpu heat is usually monitored and it is quickly identified.

3-the fsb and the gpu overclock speeds aren't jiving well, you have to play around with gpu settings to get it to run smoothly sometimes. the troubleshooting method i use here is to overclock the fsb to the level i'd like to have it, then run 3dmark with no overclock on the gfx card, if it runs fine, (you only need run the game tests, just to determine stable operation for the bench) then you are all set on fsb speed working fine, then reboot and overclock the gfx card and run the bench, if it locks, you have gfx issues, be them driver related or gpu speed or memory(not likely) speed. when the memory is too high, you will see the artifacts, and some flickering, but the memory speed usually doesn't lock the bench up, just causes visual anomalies and are easily recognizable.

I'd try the above, and see how well you do then. also, to get those cards up there, you really need cooling on the memory and the gpu, stock cooling is generally unacceptable for higher overclocks on the gfx cards.

Ritteri&Bubbles said:
Update: God damn the DVD player sucks bad, I get more BSOD's and freezes using the ati player. Also am getting a ton of artifacts on NHL 2002 and a few other games,stability still sucks with these drivers in many games i am finding.:confused:

Hold on i'm probably wrong but are you talking about the new drivers that are faster and enable smoothvision?
Cause I want to get an 8500 (same price as ti200 over here) but i still wanna play games like max payne/deus ex/gp3/g4/quake so do u know if i'll have problems with these?
Thank!!!!!!!!:D

Back