• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120 OC'ing advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trailertrash13

i have been working on ocing my 8120 and folling some of the threads and took your guys base settings like. 22x205 at vc 1.375 but i bumped it up by 2 so its at like 1.39? and i still cant get prime to run on all cores for longer the 1 hour. and turned off all the green crap and bumped up the llc to high= 75% not sur what else to do.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    55.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 93
Maybe you've done this already but make sure you disable Turbo Core, Cool N Quiet, C6 and C1E in bios and then in Windows Control Panel Power Options set it to High Performance. Also, try giving the CPUNB a small voltage bump and the ram as well, the latter maybe to 1.525 or 1.55v.

Generaly wen you get workers that stop like you have without a BSOD means you are getting pretty close. Once you are sure all the gren stuff is off I would suggest another bump on LLC to ultra High .... I think it is called or possibly another bump of VCore. Some thigs I found that helped with my OC ..... Match up your HT and Northbrige to about 2400 ish MHZ never had anyluck going higher than that and have seen some guys running lower. I also found running a higher front bus ..... I am up around 230 now also helps along with bumping your multiplier.

1.42Vcore shown in HWMonitor is not enough for 90% of the 8 core FX processors to run stable for a couple of hours of P95 Blend at 4.5Ghz.

1.42v vcore is not going to get it done, more like 1.50-1.55 is what it'll take.

^+1

Not sure the FX CPUs like the HT Link and CPUNB frequency messed with.

Yes I found anything above 2400 ish MHZ did noting and I could never get fully stable above that and once you get up to 2600MHZ its a complete no go. To be honest I have not had the tme the last year to play with my OC as much as I would like its just been lately that I have the time to get back into it. So far so good as I am 3hrs stable with my 8150 @ 4616MHZ with about1.48 VCore 2400MHZ NB and HT 230 FSB with high ambients I couldnt push if longer as my temps were getting kinda toasty. Thats what has worked for me but will look into the NB / HT freq a bit more soon as I get time. I have checked out some threads and noticed some people stating lower freq for both. I am away right now but will be back home tomorrow and can put up a screen shot of two later tomorrow or tues.

With the Temps in the high 30*C now and ambients running 25*C I have not been able to push it more right due to high temps now, maybe this week as they are calling for a cool down up here.

I'm not sure why but I've had some experience lately that indicates to me that a combination of using the fsb and the multiplier gives the best overclock. It's kind of a mystery to me because with an unlocked multiplier CPU you can manually manipulate the HT Link and the CPUNB as if you were using the fsb.

well i gave the CPUNB a bump and p95 ran for 2h24mins. really run the vcore up that high? 1.5-1.55 wont that kill my cpu? and is better to bump the multi or the fsb to get a higher clock. thanks guys

well i gave the CPUNB a bump and p95 ran for 2h24mins. = Well if that is more than 2 hours at the speed you want to get to and the temps are 'good', then rokken on.

really run the vcore up that high? 1.5-1.55 wont that kill my cpu? = NObody told you to go directly to 1.5Vcore. You said you wanted to know why your 4.5Ghz was failing so fast and the general consensus was you needed more Vcore and often you have to go to those voltages. Whether you need that voltage fully, and whether you would run the voltage...well that is up to you. 1.525 is about it for me, but some run way more I see one guy on here running 1.6Vcore since he wants to buzz 4.8Ghz. To each his own.

is better to bump the multi or the fsb to get a higher clock. thanks guys = It is likely best to try both and see which works. You are already talking about not wanting to add more Vcore, so my guess is you are not going much further.

Last edited:
na ill bump it soon just means ill have to add another rad. i have room for one more 120.3. but i still want to add a wb for my 680 so 4.5 may be my limit. thanks for all your guys advice. i may still try to bump it higher. got that bug that makes me want to see how high i can go lol. looks like more over time for me lol

Yes very nice clock so far with decent temps and as I said you are not that far off from being stable. Yes this hobbie can be addictive ...... Good luck with your OC.

well i gave the CPUNB a bump and p95 ran for 2h24mins. really run the vcore up that high? 1.5-1.55 wont that kill my cpu? and is better to bump the multi or the fsb to get a higher clock. thanks guys

The CPU vcore is higher than you set it for in bios because of LLC (Load Line Calibration). I would not run higher than 1.5 at idle or 1.55 under load for 24/7 use. That's my limit.

when i push one of mine to 4.8-4.9 llc takes it all the way up to 1.66v, my "pig" requires me to kill llc and run 1.66v from the start and it scares me to death but, they all take it.
the biggest issue i am having doing that is that i am seeing the "caps" on the motherboard starting to push up a little and i get the feeling thats going to be a bad thing soon.

C_D said:
the "caps" on the motherboard starting to push up a little and i get the feeling thats going to be a bad thing soon.

Ruh Roh. That sounds like an empty, plastic, gallon milk jug in a tornado.

ruh, roh, rastro. rounds rike a rew rutherroard in my rutcher.
as soon as i am done testing this 6 core (and it's looking prerrty bad for it) back in goes the "pig" to try to kill it off..........

I had the fan header chip pop on my CHIV when I was sitting beside it ..... sounded like a 22 going off. Wonder what a cap poipping will sound like ......:chair: ........ :popcorn:

Back