• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8150+chv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boucher91

finally got a new rig together(different from sig)
got some real wierd core temp readings (+19C offset to come a little closer to the sensor under cpu) the initial temps were right at ambient or slightly below..
havent gotten most of the voltage settings any help would be appreciated...
Capture4.PNG Capture5.PNG
Capture6.PNG

Some are saying the FX CPU core temp sensors are calibrated to be accurate at the upper end (when loaded) but not the lower end at idle. But I don't know. I'd compare the with the CPU socket temp and if they are much more than 10c lower than socket temps under load using good aftermarket air I would add an offset.

I would run Prime 95 blend for about 20 mins with that HWMonitor open on desktop monitoring min/max volts and temps. If it passes blend for 20 mins and you want to go some higher, then up the cpu multiplier by 0.5 and test again for 20 mins for min/max volts/temps. Up and test for stability is the procedure. Add volts to cpu until stable in P95 blend or temps get too high (~57c) or Vcore is too high or too much for comfort and safety. Your voltage seems low and likely to get to 4.2Ghz you will have to manually set vCore to at least 1.375 or maybe a little more. Somewhere between 4.0Ghz and 4.2Ghz you will hit a speed that then takes a bunch more volts to just go a few more Mhz on the cpu. Watch for it since it is there and you will have to up the Vcore at least one or two notches to achieve stabiltiy. Good luck.

right now its at 3900 at 1.25 on the cpu and it has ran prime for 5 hrs now folding on wcg so what ur looking at is full load and seems to be super stable...

heres where i am now still at 1.25vcore (wth)lol..thanks for looking..
rig actually contains:
cpu=fx8150
mobo=ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
mem=G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR
video=XFX Double D FX-777A-ZDF4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB
psu=pc power and cooling silencer mkII 950w
boot hdd=Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
2nd hdd=Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
tv card=Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner w/ IR Remote PCI-E x 1
sound card=sound blaster x-fi elite platinum pro
optical=2dvd burners msi and a hp
cooling=2xblack ice sr1 480 w/4 high speed yates each,s+full copper ek supreme hf+655vario

Capture4000.PNG

Last edited:
From a temp standpoint, you seem to have considerable headroom to add more vcore and go for a higher overclock. I would also disable the green stuff if you haven't: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6 and configure Windows Control Panel Power Options to High Performance.

i have turned all the greenies off lots more settings i really know very little about if anything..lol little update tho4.2 was a no go at 1.25 4.1 however seems to be prime stable for bout an hour gonna fold with 4.1 the rest of the day...
for some reason in the past prime has not shown errors where as folding does(for me) anyway....
Capture4100.PNG

Back