• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8600GTS vs 8800 GTS 320 MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fobia said:
i am dling css right now.. but on WoW i get like 60fps on 1280x768 .. HD but one of mem sticks is bad so in Shattarah i get like hiccups.. i think 1g more then 2gs ram total dual chan will stop the hiccups right guys?

btw i have 8800gts evga 320mb LG 26inch wide lcd
whats the rest of your rig? cause in wow with everything on at 1280x1024 i can get anywhere from 160-225fps, with a 229ms ping on lightbringer, to bad my free 10day trial ran out. i will buy wow but i dont think i will get the exp unless some other games dont wow me for online play.

Evilsizer said:
whats the rest of your rig? cause in wow with everything on at 1280x1024 i can get anywhere from 160-225fps, with a 229ms ping on lightbringer, to bad my free 10day trial ran out. i will buy wow but i dont think i will get the exp unless some other games dont wow me for online play.

well my tv limits 60fps... i dont know how to change that

corsair xms 2 1gb single chan segate SATA 72000rpm amd athlon x2 dual core 6000+ my other stick was DOA i just got this comp

Fobia said:
well my tv limits 60fps... i dont know how to change that

corsair xms 2 1gb single chan segate SATA 72000rpm amd athlon x2 dual core 6000+ my other stick was DOA i just got this comp
You have v-sync turned on either in-game or in your video card's control panel ;)

while many will say that your eye does not notice anything over 60fps. when it comes to response time in a FPS game it makes a world of difference. i play CSS with vsync on for the longest time, it would show i shot first but according to the others i didnt shoot. after i disabled vsync i was able to shoot before the other guy would. so really a higher fps with vsync off does help when playing online/multiplayer FPS games.

but do you think that if i get the 2gbs of ram in duel channel that it will perform better and less hiccups. i really expect more out of this rig coming from socket. A

I would pick the 8800 GTS over the 8600 because. The 8800 has 3 times(96) more stream processors than the 8600 (32) it also is 320bit interface, while the 8600 has a 128 bit. It also has more RAM memory witch can be good for high resolutions and such. I think it is worth the 100$ increase to get the 8800 GTS just because I have seen frames doubled of what the 8600 can do.

shirker said:
at 1680x1050 I can't even get a consistent 40fps with a 6800gt on crappy settings. :shrug:

an 8600gts would be much worse than that, whereas a 8800gts would easily get me 60+fps with maxed settings at 1680x1050. bottom line is, the 8600gts is a horrible, horrible card for a gaming pc. for home theater purposes it's fine though

An 8600GT would be much better then that, The 8600GTs are more comparible to the 7900GTs like what I have in my gaming rig thats in my Sig. I get over 80 Fps with my 7900GT at stock clocks in CS:S with it 1680x1050 everything turned up. So you should see around that with the 8600 series card if not better but I would go for the 8800GTS 320 if you have the extra money.

i have a 1650Pro a cheap card around the 60pound mark and i get over 100fps on css with everything maxed out @ 1024x768 on a 21" some guys posting saying you will hit 60fps with a 8800 now if thats the case its really not worth the money because you can get a cheaper card that performs better and anyways to do any good with CSS you need to hit 100 or more fps.

PS someone got a 8600GTS? and someone got a 8800GTS 320? thats have css that could give us the fps there getting because i think it should be more around the 200 mark not 60

Plus you only really need to run games in 1024x768 why you wont to go any bigger?

most gamers i play with don't go any higher the 1024x768 theres no real point you just lose fps

(edit my other post was a little hard to get sorry)

Last edited:
The guys you play with don't go higher than 1024x768 is because any people far away appear as bigger dots, therefore easier to see. I'd bet those people sometimes play CS:S with their monitor set to black and white too :)

From what I've just gone round the internet looking for CS:S info, 100fps is pretty much max anyway, the game engine doesn't go much faster.

Oh, and CS:S is not a benchmark game anymore. Try FEAR or Company of Heroes on full settings :) The 8800's will really show the difference there.

DanFraser said:
The guys you play with don't go higher than 1024x768 is because any people far away appear as bigger dots, therefore easier to see. I'd bet those people sometimes play CS:S with their monitor set to black and white too :)

From what I've just gone round the internet looking for CS:S info, 100fps is pretty much max anyway, the game engine doesn't go much faster.

Oh, and CS:S is not a benchmark game anymore. Try FEAR or Company of Heroes on full settings :) The 8800's will really show the difference there.
I saw something similar to this a while back at a LAN but with Quake 4 multiplayer, they have high end machines but were playing the game a lowest detail with game turned way up so they could see absolutely everything with no problem.

shirker said:
at 1680x1050 I can't even get a consistent 40fps with a 6800gt on crappy settings. :shrug:

an 8600gts would be much worse than that, whereas a 8800gts would easily get me 60+fps with maxed settings at 1680x1050. bottom line is, the 8600gts is a horrible, horrible card for a gaming pc. for home theater purposes it's fine though

Your computer got a problem buddy. Mine run just fine with that resolution.

nakatalee said:
Your computer got a problem buddy. Mine run just fine with that resolution.

He's right in one respect though. The 8600 is for Home Theaters. Look at the capabilities of it.

DanFraser said:
He's right in one respect though. The 8600 is for Home Theaters. Look at the capabilities of it.
but with respects to past x600's it should match a 7900gt but doesnt. the 6600gt's when oced would get near plain 6800's. with 7600gt's they were able to match the 6800gt's in speed. it would only make sense for the 8600gt's to follow suit but they dont. i think that is point some are making without getting detialed about it.

*edit*
you really cant compare the 6x00 line to the 5x00 line cause the 5x000's were just plagued with problems from the start.

Back