• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k , c700p, AIO Corsair h110i where should i place cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greenfire

Hello all,

I am building this system first time doing any sorta water cooling so I was wondering should I place it at the top as an exhaust? top as an intake? front as an intake? for the AIO ?

Link to case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-c700p/

I had thought about doing a DIY cooling setup but I have not done it before so I backed off that and went with the H110i...hopefully that works well.

Thank you all ahead of time as i have read these forums for years and your all very informative!

As top exhaust your case has lower temps in general, this could benefit your gpu temps, as intake your system runs slightly hotter. I had my previous as a single 120 exhaust and now intake, difference is 2-3C. This was fixed by simply adjusting my gpu fan Curve.

As top exhaust your case has lower temps in general, this could benefit your GPU temps, as intake, your system runs slightly hotter. I had my previous as a single 120 exhaust and now intake, the difference is 2-3C. This was fixed by simply adjusting my GPU fan Curve.

So your saying have it as top exhaust and adjust the GPU (the 1080's) fan speed to a more aggressive setting? this is one of the first choices I had as well I was thinking to vent heat out of the case would be better but I was wondering if the warm air from inside passing over the radiator would counter act cooling my CPU.

So your saying have it as top exhaust and adjust the GPU (the 1080's) fan speed to a more aggressive setting? this is one of the first choices I had as well I was thinking to vent heat out of the case would be better but I was wondering if the warm air from inside passing over the radiator would counter act cooling my CPU.

From experience if you a well ventilated case like yours or mine for that matter, temps shouldn't reach 40C degrees in the summer. This means the ∆T is high enough for a proper heat transfer, in the top place your aio will run warmer then as intake. This a compromise, however can be solved with higher air flow in the case (this case has plenty of options to run multiple low rpm fans and still achieve high air flow)

i could add a 3rd front intake fan to give it more positive pressure VS the AIO/rear exaust that might be worth doing than.

I have a 480 rad mounted ontop with push/pull fans. When it was setup as exhaust (coming out from the top) I had higher cpu temps because heat always rises. I swapped my fans around so it's setup as intake (pulling air IN/downwards) and my cpu temps are right where they're supposed to be. I don't have my fans set up the conventional way. My fan setup is unorthodox, but very functional:

Front 2x140mm = Intakes
Top 6x120mm =intakes
Bottom 2x 140mm =exhaust
Rear 2x140mm = exhaust.

I hate the Cosmos case. I had the first one CM1000 and I had to hack the living crap out of it to mount a 360 rad ontop, get a 120mm in the front and a side panel 120mm aside from the rear 120mm. I modded it to get enough airflow thru the case as this particular case was poorly designed from the get-go for airflow.

OP: Install your AIO on the top. Set your fans as intakes from the top down ( to get the cool air into the rad). Front fans setup as intakes. Bottom fans as exhaust and rear fans as exhaust. If this doesn't workout, you can always go the conventional way:

Front & bottom fans as intakes
Rear & top fans as exhaust.

Attachments

• AIRFLOW.png
    AIRFLOW.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 523
Coolermaster claims you can set it in the front, then you can use it as an intake, too. That will depend on the reach of the h110i hoses, though. My h100i was limited by that. Fortunately you aren't limited to my solution.

Just setup the AIO as exhaust up top or intake, up to you if you test out the temps but there won't be a massive difference tbh. Have the front/bottom as intakes bringing in the freshest, coolest and cleanest (Only applies when filters are used.) air.

Now dependent on case design, that could change or your location of the case and ambient temp but the consensus is front/bottom intake, top/rear exhaust. In my unique position, I have front/bottom/top as intake and a massive open unfiltered rear as exhaust.

Btw, that's a beautiful looking customizable case.

Think i will try it as exhaust @ top first if temps get to high i will switch fan config to intake and if that fails try to move it to the front. lol. although yes i could also add more fans to the front, and more on the bottom as intake to keep cool are pushing through and leave it as exhaust which honestly might be a better solution.

This thread has me thinking about trying Neb's solution. I have a 200 mm intake in the front and a 140mm on the bottom. Mounting my fans on top of the radiator for intake would make cleaning it easier and help keep the case pressurized.

Back