• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GTS 320MB on [email protected]@1.7V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
The 8800 GTS 320MB will be my next victim.

Loaded it up today, but I didn't LET far enough down the card - PWM section of the card got wet and the card started bugging out.

Before that happened, I did get a few runs in of 3DM03 though. This was the best so far:

screen000.jpg

16th place on the card. Good for 23 User points, and 24 Team Power points... The card isn't topped out yet, thats just as far as I got it before the moisture got the best of it. In the garage as always, and its really humid. Condensation has been major grief since the end of winter.

The card bugs out between -50 to -60C, so it likes it pretty warm. GPU volts are at about 1.55V. I haven't tested max GPU clocks, mem clocks, or shader clocks yet - it just kept doing all the settings I threw at it.

More to come, got things drying out currently then will fix the insulation problem before I run it again.

How are you cooling the memory on that? Is it staying cold enough by the transferring cold from the cpu pot? I was trying to bench the 7900gtx the other day and the memory was getting hot enough that I couldn't get my mem clocks up to where they were on air.

Good score by the way, you beat my 8800gts 640 score pretty handily. Is this a bobnova'd card?

:thup:

By the way, looks like I should submit for the Team Cup with this card? If I'm reading it right, I'd take 2nd place for this stage with my current score (if I use the competition background):
http://hwbot.org/competition/team_cup_2012_sc1/stage/610_geforce_8_series/

No cooling on the memory - just whatever it gets from the GPU pot. May need to look into that, but it seemed pretty happy so far. I think I was running 2.2V on the GPU memory maybe? I only looked at it once with the multimeter, and I think thats what it was.

when you submit for the comp it looks as though it also ads it as a regular submission for boints

Yeah, that should be submitted. It will probably be beaten once someone with a 8800gtx puts down a good run. Maybe I will hurry and bake mine while my wife is gone.....
:sn:

Also, I should mention that this is another Bobnova edition GPU. Not your average 8800 GTS 320MB.

Here's the sub:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2291526

I'll rerun using the comp background once things dry out. We'll see how much more the card has in it... Probably not enough to be worth submitting. It can't do 61K, so I'll probably rerun my 8800 GT 512 for the comp - I need to anyways with this CPU and its done some serious 3d03 damage before:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2269753

Last edited:
Ha! Never did get around to running that sucker, i felt pretty good about it though.

There may be a CB BIOS for that thing, check the HWBot coldbug BIOS thread if HWBot isn't currently dead.

Post up a stream if you're running later.

What cards did I get from you Ed?

I looked around and I can account for 2 8800 gt 512mb, an unknown 8800 gts, and this 8800 gts 320.

Them're the ones.
The unknown 8800GTS (unmodded) is a 640MB.
Lemme know if you want some more cards, the misc. GPU stockpile is riding rather higher than my free time levels.
There's an 8800GTX, a 9800GT, a 9800GTX+, a GTX260 and a GTX280.
The 8800GTX has been baked and was modded at one point, re-modding is going to be annoying, but doable.
The 9800GT has been baked.
The 9800GTX+ has a hacked to hell heatsink with no core heatsink.
The GTX260 has even less heatsink.
The GTX280 has been baked at least three times, by at least two people. Has the full heatsink though.
If you want to buy one or more let me know and I'll make a classies thread.
If you want to borrow one or more for the HWBot contest let me know and I'll ship it/them to you. If they live I'd like 'em back (won't submit anything on whatever the comp benchmark is, so it'll be 100% legal). If they die, we'll figure something out. I didn't pay over $45 for any of 'em, so it isn't a big deal.
None are modded. All can be.

IMOG - If condensation continues to be a thorn in your side (and you happen to have some extra cash), a window A/C unit in your garage window and closed door will probably do wonders for your situation. It may not do wonders for your wallet and/or electric bill, but definitely for the humidity and moisture problem. :)

IMOG - If condensation continues to be a thorn in your side (and you happen to have some extra cash), a window A/C unit in your garage window and closed door will probably do wonders for your situation. It may not do wonders for your wallet and/or electric bill, but definitely for the humidity and moisture problem. :)

I wonder if having one of those puppies would help blow a circuit in there.

Hah, that's entirely possible. Could always do a home improvement project and make a dedicated circuit for the benching setup. :D

I actually have a spare window unit sitting in the garage, and the circuit can take it - I run a 1300 watt or so heater in the winter. I sit pretty much on top of it and that keeps me warm.

The garage isn't finished or insulated, and the eaves let air pass straight thru - I'm not sure how effective it would be with reducing humidity in the garage. I may just bring the rig into the kitchen though if I really can't get a grip on it. If I seal things up well enough, the moisture isn't a problem - I noticed the LET on this 8800 didn't go very far towards the edge before I started so I kinda saw it coming but thought I could get away with it.

Them're the ones.
The unknown 8800GTS (unmodded) is a 640MB.
Lemme know if you want some more cards, the misc. GPU stockpile is riding rather higher than my free time levels.
There's an 8800GTX, a 9800GT, a 9800GTX+, a GTX260 and a GTX280.
The 8800GTX has been baked and was modded at one point, re-modding is going to be annoying, but doable.
The 9800GT has been baked.
The 9800GTX+ has a hacked to hell heatsink with no core heatsink.
The GTX260 has even less heatsink.
The GTX280 has been baked at least three times, by at least two people. Has the full heatsink though.
If you want to buy one or more let me know and I'll make a classies thread.
If you want to borrow one or more for the HWBot contest let me know and I'll ship it/them to you. If they live I'd like 'em back (won't submit anything on whatever the comp benchmark is, so it'll be 100% legal). If they die, we'll figure something out. I didn't pay over $45 for any of 'em, so it isn't a big deal.
None are modded. All can be.

If you are thinking about letting things go, I can say that I want "a" 8800 GTX, "a" 9800 GTX+, and "a" GTX260 216sp. The 9800 GT, GTX260 (192sp), and gtx 280 isn't worth as much boints, so I'm not interested in those until I get through ALL GPUs with maxxed out HWP (50 boints).

I'm not in urgent need for anything right now, as I'm just starting on the 8800 gts 320MB, I still have a 2nd 8800 gt 512 to do (SLI), the unmodded 8800 gts 640 (should have asked you to mod before sending), and I need to rebench this 4890 and the 5870 probably as well.

Any card I would want from you have to come modded - I've benched 2 of your modded cards now, and they've been pretty much "automatic" 20+ HWP cards. I can't settle for anything less these days. :D

Any card I would want from you have to come modded - I've benched 2 of your modded cards now, and they've been pretty much "automatic" 20+ HWP cards. I can't settle for anything less these days. :D

Better keep those modded cards coming or we might find IMOG cowering in the corner twitching until he gets his next fix.

Welp, I think I toasted this 8800. Couldn't get it to bench anything at reasonable clocks tonight. Runs fine at stock, but video drops out with a mild overclock when running 3dm03 at troll's lair (can run the previous 2 tests then it will bomb, or go direct to troll and it will bomb) and 3dm05 on the 2nd gametest (firefly? I forget... can run the 1st gametest fine though). In both cases, video output cuts out as soon as that test starts.

That left me with nothing to do in 3D... But I was frustrated, and the only cure for frustration I know is voltage, so the 3770K took a whipping. :rock:

Pifast [email protected]@1.808V: http://hwbot.org/submission/2291862_
SP32M [email protected]@1.808V: http://hwbot.org/submission/2291864_
SP1M [email protected]@1.8V: http://hwbot.org/submission/2291865_
WP1024 [email protected]@1.75V: http://hwbot.org/submission/2291867_
WP32 [email protected]@1.75V: http://hwbot.org/submission/2291868_
UCBench [email protected]@1.7V: http://hwbot.org/submission/2291870_

Pretty big improvements over all my previous scores. The chip is nearly topped out, though the single core benches especially can go further with more volts... I'm really just trying not to kill it. UCBench is the coolest submission, that is the 2nd fastest 4-core global... Too bad it doesn't get any global points.

GPU probably just needs a bake.
If you're lucky the mod bits will stay attached when you bake it. My results have varied.
Doesn't smell very good, though.
I've seen messed up drivers cause that too. Only once, but still worth checking.

Those are some nice 2d scores! Good work :D

+1, excellent 2D benching!

I like the photo - "Bobnova edition". I think you should register that as a trademark. :D

That is some be-a-u-tiful benching there Matt, well done! Have you had a chance to see if your IMC will go further with the RAM speeds or is it pretty much topped out?

Also did you manage to get any bclk tweaking done or are you still rebooting to change bclk inbetween benches?

Back