• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 Memory OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maglin

Well I just found out that you can't OC the memory on the 8800 with any of the tools I have tried. nTune, Rivatuner, ATItool. Other than doing a BIOS flash with a modified BIOS is their any other way to OC the memory? I thought it was strange that I would running 2200 mhz on my memory.

Rattle said:
there is tons of ways to oc 8800's we even can in vista now.

my 8800 gts 320 did 630/2000 +

Yeah I'm using Rivatuner and pushing my 8800 to 650 on the core and 1000(2000 effective) on the memory.

Ok... Look at your Hardware monitor in RivaTuner. Look at your Memory Clock. You will notice that it never moves. That is what I'm talking about. I can put my memory to 2200 mhz. Play games all day and run benchmarks. But it's not actually changing the memory. And I'm not talking about just RivaTuner. I turned RT OCing off and used nTune and ATItool and they all have the same effect. No OC for the memory. It just doesn't tell you it's not OCing. So you think it is. I would love to be wrong here.

So by that then I would be running 650/2200 which I highly doubt. I thought the core of only 650 was holding me back when my 3Dmark06 scores didn't really change from taking my memory from 1800 to 2200. Check it. If you can OC your memory and actually see it then let us know what app you are using. Other than flashing the BIOS I currently can't find a way.

Last edited:
Sounds like somethings bugged to me. I go into a fresh install of Rivatuner and the memory clock is set to 792, I take the slider and put it up to 999 and click apply and such. I check the hardware monitor and my memory clock is 999:

oc1oc9.jpg

oc2lz9.jpg

Last edited:
What video driver are you useing??? Do you have nTune installed? Mine doesn't move. I have a clean install of XP that I just did.

DeepSky said:
Sounds like somethings bugged to me. I go into a fresh install of Rivatuner and the memory clock is set to 792, I take the slider and put it up to 999 and click apply and such. I check the hardware monitor and my memory clock is 999:

oc1oc9.jpg

oc2lz9.jpg

What RivaTuner is this?? I downloaded one and it was nothing but registry settings I could change, like for Fan speeds, I could just change registry values in the RivaTuner program. Same for other settings, no visuals or nothing, just values. This really bothered me.

What video driver are you using? I removed nTune and ATItool. nTune sucks anyways. Removed video drivers and reinstalled 97.92. Still no luck. I'm not to sure what is the problem with mine. It's the 8800 GTS 320 EVGA. It's kind of dishearting.

Maglin said:
What video driver are you using? I removed nTune and ATItool. nTune sucks anyways. Removed video drivers and reinstalled 97.92. Still no luck. I'm not to sure what is the problem with mine. It's the 8800 GTS 320 EVGA. It's kind of dishearting.

Only thing I have installed is the 97.92 drivers and RivaTuner 2.0 Final Release.

I just flashed my video BIOS with the EVGA OC bios. Now instead of the 792 mhz memory it's at 837 on the monitor, but it's 850 in the BIOS. It's very strange. IT also doesn't show me OCing the memory. But at 650/2000 in RT my 3DMark06 scores are pretty much the same. I'm sitting at 10,223 marks currently and that is about what it was before. The shader clock happens to go up with the core and it's the same speed with this BIOS as it was with the original BIOS.

I might just reformate the computer again. Install my RAID and try again. I wish I knew where to find the 100% fan speed in the bios but NiBiTor 3.2 doesn't have a setting for it.

Maglin said:
I just flashed my video BIOS with the EVGA OC bios. Now instead of the 792 mhz memory it's at 837 on the monitor, but it's 850 in the BIOS. It's very strange. IT also doesn't show me OCing the memory. But at 650/2000 in RT my 3DMark06 scores are pretty much the same. I'm sitting at 10,223 marks currently and that is about what it was before. The shader clock happens to go up with the core and it's the same speed with this BIOS as it was with the original BIOS.

I might just reformate the computer again. Install my RAID and try again. I wish I knew where to find the 100% fan speed in the bios but NiBiTor 3.2 doesn't have a setting for it.

Before you do that what are your SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 individual scores? when you get that 10,223 3dmark score?

I'm only using the Free version of 3DMark06 so I don't have those scores. Here is the link to my scores.
removed link so not to have people upload my score.

It's really strange. I decided to go back to my original BIOS. I also have some strange texture issues in games now. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get a defective card. It's only certain textures. These where happening before I flashed the BIOS and why I actually flashed it to see if it might be BIOS related. I was kind of just hoping it was. I don't really want to RMA it so soon. I'm going to use the step-up program and get the 89xx when they come out if they come out in the next few months. This was a hold me over card. I don't like getting the first of anything. This being the first DX10 card.

I've also tried the newest beta driver's 100.71 I think it is and didn't like them over the 97.92's so I've switched back. The memory OC thing is now the least of my consern. I'm hoping it's just a vSync issue with the Unreal engine.

Last edited:
Maglin said:

Has everyone on every board lost their minds?

I dont want to upload your score, a compare URL has the word COMPARE in it... it shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

(sorry for the rant but in the past two days I've deleted like 6 scores from others doing this)

Hrm...those scores are definitely what you should be getting with that wierd OC it set itself at. I'm no expert but it may very well be a defective card. Especially considering you've flashed it twice now.

Maglin said:
I don't really want to RMA it so soon. I'm going to use the step-up program and get the 89xx when they come out if they come out in the next few months.

Thats a pretty good idea, if we can do it. Is the step-up program throught nvidia or the card manufacturer?

How is that a weird OC? And as far as it being defective and flashing it. It was having exact same issues before the flash. DId some looking and one of the smc caps are broken. Not to sure if that is the cause but it's the only thing I can see being physically wrong with it. I have the card set to 650/2000 in RT although it still only shows memory @ 792 in the hardward monitor. I've already submitted the RMA. Should be getting my replacement in the next week.

And it's EVGA that has the step up program. Total cost for the product you step-up to is more than if you just bout it from say newegg but it also allows you to save up the cash to get it. Plus you can get the new lines if they get released before your step up final date which is 90 days after purchase.

I don't see any compare URL or anything on the futruemark page. Sorry if it causing you to upload my score. :( totally wasn't my intention.

AC3421 said:
What RivaTuner is this?? I downloaded one and it was nothing but registry settings I could change, like for Fan speeds, I could just change registry values in the RivaTuner program. Same for other settings, no visuals or nothing, just values. This really bothered me.

Then you haven't found the button that actually allows you to change video card settings and display statistics. Start it up again. Find the box that contains the name and definition of your video card. Click the button to the immediate right of that box. You will get a minimal popup with more buttons on it. Mouse over them. Click the one you want to run. Congratulations - you have now found out how to actually use RivaTuner to do anything useful.

questions:
Do you guys overclock your cards with one card in at a time or do you do both the cards in SLi ?
I am guessing that we do one card at a time or am i wrong
Sorry for the dumb question but i was wondering
I know there are no dumb questions just dumb people LOL

Back