• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 < ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChinStrap

I know we have heard about what’s going to be coming out in regards’ to the 8800’s on the lower end side… has anyone heard or seen anything about what’s going to be coming out that will/would be better then the 8800? Or did NV drop the bigdog right off the bat?

ChinStrap said:
I know we have heard about what’s going to be coming out in regards’ to the 8800’s on the lower end side… has anyone heard or seen anything about what’s going to be coming out that will/would be better then the 8800? Or did NV drop the bigdog right off the bat?
Just like the 6xxx's and the 7xxx's, the big dogs came first. From the product lists we've seen that include the 320MB 8800 and the 8600's and 8300's, the 8800GTX will be the fastest, at least until Q2 and probably until the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an 8850 in the works, but so far there's no news on it.

Why do you ask, are dual 8800GTX not fast enough for ya? :D

I have a friend who works at XFX, he says 3 months, a nice revision is coming up. Didn't say much more after that

(actually to be more specific, I was talking about buying 2 8800gtx xxx from him, he said just to buy 1 for now. But in 3 months, new cards with decent revisions are coming out, and I should trade-up and get SLI of that new cards. When I asked what cards, he said "good cards." When asked new GPU or just updating, he said updated new GPU. When I asked what's the difference, he said just wait and see.)

At this point, it is all speculation though.

I would really like to see a die shrink in G81. Reduce the size of the mammoth 8800GTX and forget needing 4 PCIe power connectors for running SLI. Who knows though. I dont expect nVidia to throw an Ace (G81) until ATI shows their cards (R600). (pun intended):bday:

I expect the G81 to be the 8900 and to be dropped on us with little warning like the 7900's were. I know there is talk of a refresh for nVidia's 8800's around the R600 release.

More like this, if it is true
G8x.gif

Great find! I wonder where this info was dug up from though.

With the size / power requirements of the latest cards, die shrinks are an absolute must. At the rate they have been going, we will soon be plugging in motherboards to vid cards instead of vice versa! :rolleyes:

Those are the guesses on the 6-month respin...that would put them due out in May/June? Too bad, that puts them just out of step-up range :p That's what I've seen reported as a timeframe for the next high-end release from more sources. The March releases are supposed to be the lower-end cards like 8600 etc.

Whatever, they do constant little reports and updates on every little bit of info like other rumor/news sites. My main point however was that this wouldn't be until My or June for the higher cards.

Back