• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTS 320MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sobe

Unscathed Member
I've been looking at the PNY GeForce 8800GTS 320MB from NewEgg. My current 7900GT is artifacting, and it's getting worse over time it seems, only in games <_<, and I could buy a new 7900GT for about $240, or buy a PNY 8800GTS 320MB for $270.

I have been noticing though that people were having trouble with these cards in games. Before I purchase one, I wanted a few opinions.

The games that the card will be used to run:
Half-Life 2/Half-Life 2 Episode 1
F.E.A.R
Rainbow Six Vegas
Call of Duty 2
BattleField 2
Quake 4
CounterStrike Source
Need for Speed Most Wanted

I list these games, because if anyone has any complaint about the card to one of these games, I would really like to know.

I have no opinion on this matter, I'm simply stating the consensus I read most often: PNY is not the favored brand for many people, there seems to be a fair bit of problems with them, and their customer service is not the greatest. If you can find a similarly priced deal from another brand, I would suggest looking in to it.

Again, I am not trying to spread anti-PNY rumors, I am simply telling you what I have read. Take what I said as a grain of salt; you may have great success with a PNY card.

I haven't heard of people having a lot of trouble with games and g80's unless they're running vista.

I agree that PNY is one of the worst companies in terms of customer service and products. From personal experience EVGA, XFX, & BFG are 3 of the best companies for Nvidia cards.

Go with an 8800 GTS or if you can wait until the 22nd you will see the new 8600GTS come out and possibly a price drop for the 8800GTS.

Well, I don't have to purchase it now. My current vid cards runs things fine, but when I get a pure black or pure white screen ingame, I see random pixels of either blue, red, or green.

And I chose PNY because of the cheapness, and the success of use by Team3D. I myself have used PNY in the past and had NO issues. But of course, I will say that eVGA had excellent service for anything I asked their support desk.

Oh, just saw an eVGA for cheaper =D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Ok, so, that will basically be it. I refuse to get a 8600 series, I want quality for a while. As I only like to upgrade when needed. I do plan on upgrading my PSU to a Zalman 600watt or Silverstone 700watt PSU, as well as getting an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, and 2GB g.Skill DDR2 RAM. However, seeing the recent price cuts in AMD may sway me that way, but I think I'll stick with my current future planned setup. But when I get the vid card I plan on getting the PSU too, the other parts will be purchased at a later date. Money doesn't grow on trees, if only if only.

If anyone has anything to say about the 8800s and any issues found, feel free to speak ^^ I accept all types of input, negative or positive.

sobe said:
I've been looking at the PNY GeForce 8800GTS 320MB from NewEgg. My current 7900GT is artifacting, and it's getting worse over time it seems, only in games <_<, and I could buy a new 7900GT for about $240, or buy a PNY 8800GTS 320MB for $270.

I have been noticing though that people were having trouble with these cards in games. Before I purchase one, I wanted a few opinions.

The games that the card will be used to run:
Half-Life 2/Half-Life 2 Episode 1
F.E.A.R
Rainbow Six Vegas
Call of Duty 2
BattleField 2
Quake 4
CounterStrike Source
Need for Speed Most Wanted

I list these games, because if anyone has any complaint about the card to one of these games, I would really like to know.

Hi im new here, and this is my first post. I came across this thread and I would like to give you a suggestion.

Get this XFX 8800GTS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150172

Its only 30$ (Thirty DOLLARS, which dosent seem much of a difference, especially with the benefits recieved). Oh yeah, DO NOT REBATE THE CARD! That UPC code can save your life one day if something were to happen...

Anyway - it Comes with TWO games, Call of Duty 2 (not stated in description, but people said it comes with the card in the reviews) and Ghost Recon A.W. (GRAW).

Not only that, it is overclocked out of the box - and its XFX which calls for great customer service. Mine is on its way now. I ordered a Smilodon RAIDMAX case, to go with it as well. It seems to have great airflow and has lots of functionality for its price (less than 100$).

More details later, but the best choice is to go for the XFX 8800GTS above.

I got this ONE EVGA 8800GTS SC 320 meg version, right now it's sitting at 294. Then in 3 months when the GTX's are much cheaper you can step up, which is what I plan on doing. I was hopeing the 8900's would be out before my time expired, guess not......

But of your game list, I play F.E.A.R., HL2 series games with no issue, then I got the 101.70 drivers and BF2 wont fire up, no biggy though, but F.E.A.R. runs smooth like butta at 1600*1200 everything on max, softshadows on.

I ran the Loast Coast and CS-S video stress test's thingys, granted our rigs are diffrent, but CS S 1600*1200 6x 8x 200FPS loast coast 6x 8x 143FPS

F.E.A.R. 1600*1200 4x 16x Min. 40 Avg. 68 Max. 132

With rig in sig.... :D

Dont buy the card yet. 8800 Ultra and R600 will be out very very shortly, right after we should see some price cuts on many cards.

In the long run, 640mb card would be wiser choice.

Go with eVGA, best custommer support as well as they make great product. And, they have a step up program.

Well, as memory isn't a determining factor in a video card's performance, I don't think it would matter really. I also read this review, http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4689.

And in different areas the 320MB did just as well, or even beat the 640MB version of the card. Memory for me is not important, especially since 320MB can save me about $100 or more.

I'll wait though, and see what happens.

Just to clarify something - The statement that memory does not effect video card performance is simply not true. While there may not be any noticeable (perhaps even negative) differences at low resolutions with little eye candy, once you turn either of those up, you will see a performance increase with more memory.

I'm not saying it is not good in your case, because you may be playing at a lower resolution, I'm jut clarifying that the broad statement "memory does not effect performance" is not true in many cases. In fact, I personally agree with you that the $100 difference can certainly warrant getting the 320mb version over the 640mb version.

/end ramble

Good luck, hopefully you will be satisfied with you purchase :beer:

Well, I only play @ 1024x768 in my games for now. When I get my new LCD I plan on playing all the games @ 1280x1024.

I've seen these cards do much higher with everything turned on and still average with a nice FPS, which is all I am wanting really. I don't plan on playing at the highest res possible. Enough to basically play Unreal Tournament 3 and Crysis on at least medium settings.

And, I know memory is somewhat important, but I really don't think for me it will be much of a difference which version I have, simply because I don't have a huge monitor, don't plan on having a huge one, and don't use real high resolutions.

And yes, I will be awaiting the release of the 8600 series and see if the 8800s drop a tad in price. I want to thank everyone for your statements and comments on these cards :) Next step after a system upgrade.... Vista.. when I see a SP

sobe said:
Well, I only play @ 1024x768 in my games for now. When I get my new LCD I plan on playing all the games @ 1280x1024.

I've seen these cards do much higher with everything turned on and still average with a nice FPS, which is all I am wanting really. I don't plan on playing at the highest res possible. Enough to basically play Unreal Tournament 3 and Crysis on at least medium settings.

And, I know memory is somewhat important, but I really don't think for me it will be much of a difference which version I have, simply because I don't have a huge monitor, don't plan on having a huge one, and don't use real high resolutions.

And yes, I will be awaiting the release of the 8600 series and see if the 8800s drop a tad in price. I want to thank everyone for your statements and comments on these cards :) Next step after a system upgrade.... Vista.. when I see a SP

1280x1024 is relatively a low resolution. 320Mb memory would be more than adequate enough for performance (According to various Benchmark stastics and reviews). For those who have larger screens - usually 'wide' as well - would want to go for the 640Mb version, which will fufill the need for those with such displays. I understand you are on a budget, and so am I. So getting the new cards that are coming out soon would be your last option. Get the GTS.

pn0yb0i said:
...Not only that, it is overclocked out of the box...

What ever you choose to do I would recommend getting the stock (non-factory overclocked) version. IMO there is zero reason to get a factory overclocked card when everyone has had great luck overclocking these things.

My 8800gts can bench @ 660/2000 – and it’s a stock card :)

Back