• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTS 512MB Overclocking Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lemonade727

Registered
I've had my SLi setup running at 795/1915/1050(2100) (core/shader/mem) ever since the beginning of March, but recently I've been getting artifacts and driver display errors while gaming. Because of this I've had to tone down the overclocks to 725/1900/1025 to keep it stable for now. The max temp I've seen is 68C so it's not getting too hot honestly, and I've tried re-installing the drivers, etc. but it's still the same outcome.

Is the life of my cards degrading? I dusted out my computer case about 3 weeks ago and cleaned off the cards so they're not blanketed with dust or anything.

I have been running the GPU clients for Folding@Home almost exclusively for the past 3 weeks, but I don't think that short amount of time could have done all this damage. I'm just trying to get back my old OC settings and keep it perfectly stable. Anyone have an idea?

I think your fine and possibly no damage is done considering your temps are good . But just to make sure .....

Try just upping your core (to where you like) and leave the rest stock (or shader at "auto") and dont touch the memory clock . Usually when you start doing all three at fairly high overclocks (core/shader/mem) the memory will be the first to show problems (artifacts ,etc) , mostly due to heat after extended long periods of game play and such . V/card memory can degrade over time from too much heat as its usually the least (worst) cooled item on some cards depending on manufacturer and type of cooler used .

Personally I like going for a higher core clock and I really dont mess with my memory much if at all (like I used to) . Seems to work best for me .

Last edited:
I can't even hit the core overclock that I used to have even with the others at default settings. And now in order to keep it completely stable during Crysis, Stalker, and 3DMark, I have to keep the clocks set at 725/1850/1010. I guess I'm just disappointed that the cards won't perform like they used to in less than a year even with keeping the temps down.

Yes your cards degraded plain and simple and it was caused by O/Cing while running F@H most likely. Just because you kept temps does not guarantee anything period. You took a gamble on O/Cing.

Im surprised you could get it stable with a core clock of 795. I never had any real stability over 750.

I run mine at 725/1800/1100 (core, shader, mem) Simply because i dont wanna take too big of a risk overclocking just to squeeze another 50mhz out

795 stable w/ default voltage and stock cooler? That's hard to believe.

Perhaps the warmer weather is having an effect.

1900 and 1915 aren't your actual speeds. Use the RivaTuner Hardware Monitor to see your true speeds. The sliders don't account for the steps.

I'm not sure how hard the Folding@Home taxes your cards, but I do know that PC components don't last forever.

Back