• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTS heatsink...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CNV

Registered
My 8800GTS 640mb is running very hot but it is too loud when I turn up the fan speed. Anyone running a different heatsink? Only one I can find for the 8800GTS is the thermalright HR03 plus. This is going into a HTPC so I want it silent and compact.

downclock the card then or go to watercooling for it, as the hr-03 plus is the only i see that will work on the 8800line atm.

I have had 3 8800's and seen at least 4 more my friends have. even at 100% they are not loud lol, 85% is barely audible and most load at 65-70 then...

I just recently read that people are using a pci slot "blower" right under their card to suck out some of the exhaust that comes outta the slits... they've been seeing drops of 5* even with the 8800's fan set at default... at full speed they say temps drop by like 10* total. Also they say normal operating temps are ok up to 90* but to stay under 80*.

I'm going to try the the HR03. I just wanted to check if there were other options. I have a 8800GTS and two of my friends have one. We all use P180 cases with the stock fans, and it is a big difference from 60% to 100%. We have different tolerances when it comes to noise.

akkuma said:
I just recently read that people are using a pci slot "blower" right under their card to suck out some of the exhaust that comes outta the slits... they've been seeing drops of 5* even with the 8800's fan set at default... at full speed they say temps drop by like 10* total. Also they say normal operating temps are ok up to 90* but to stay under 80*.

I don't understand the purpose of that...doesn't the cooler blow the air out the back anyway? If you had a blower that pulled in air from outside the case wouldn't that be snagging a lot of hot air?

After coming from a x1900xt the cooler on this thing is a godsend to me. The x1900xt sounded like a jet engine even in my very loud case. I can't hear the 8800gts's cooler.

no the "blower" actually sucks air out of the case out the back. i was confused at first too. so it will suck the air out of the slits (they kinda pool there) and force it out the back allowing the 8800's fan to push more air out of it's own exhaust duct.
There's another version that someone accidently used, and it sucks from outside and blows in... like you said...and the temps actually went up 3*

Back