• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 8gb ram, showing less.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pzykotik

I know people get this question a lot, and despise the fact that I have searched, no answers solved my problem.

So. I got 4x2gb. Shows up as 7130mb.

Why and how do I fix it?

Can you click start and type "resource monitor" and launch that. Then go to the memory tab and post a screenshot of that for us.

Also, a screenshot of CPU-Z including the memory tab would be helpful.

Uuuhhhh. The monitor just told me. I didn't saw this before. Ugh. Hardware reserved. But... 1gb of ram for the hardware? Really?

Last edited:
Yea, that's were your missing 1GB is. Something is using that RAM. Could be the GPU.

Click start and type "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.
Then in the window that opens click view and select "resources by connection"
Then expand "memory" and see what's in there. If you see anything that looks like it could be your GPU then it probably is.

At any rate, there should be a setting in your bios to disable the GPU from using any physical memory. If you don't see any option like that, then make sure you have the latest bios.

Yeah, seems like it is my GPU. I'll turn off the MSI Afterburner - I OC'd my GPU, but I don't think the benefit from that oc is qorth the loss of a gb of ram (assuming that this is what's consuming that ram)

I don't recall a setting in the bios that would relate to that honestly.

Just in case I've just went through the manual, and nope. I don't see what would be the culprit, else than OC itself.

Back