• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

920 - 4.5GHz 1.41v Stable on air!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

Temps are pretty high, but I need re-seat the TRUE, the paste is all screwed up .. and I need to do the washer mod, so I'm hoping that will give me some better temps.

imagedn.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=694171

Haven't seen to many stable this high, how are these voltages? I'll get some more benches up in a bit.

Looks nice, load temps don't look too bad for that voltage. What do you consider "stable?"

I ask because I notice the LinX problem size is less than 10000. Mine could pass a higher overclock than what I run and on less voltage, too, with that problem size. Cranking it up increased temps a lot more and easily found instability.

Looks nice, load temps don't look too bad for that voltage. What do you consider "stable?"

I ask because I notice the LinX problem size is less than 10000. Mine could pass a higher overclock than what I run and on less voltage, too, with that problem size. Cranking it up increased temps a lot more and easily found instability.

I'm going to let p95 run over night, see how that goes. What problem size do you use? I've always just stuck with the stock setting, and it's been fine for me haha :p I tried the max I could (15k) and the temps are about 1c higher (stable so far for 20 mins)

Are you using HT?

I'm going to let p95 run over night, see how that goes. What problem size do you use? I've always just stuck with the stock setting, and it's been fine for me haha :p I tried the max I could (15k) and the temps are about 1c higher (stable so far for 20 mins)

Are you using HT?

I use the highest repeatable setting that I can from the drop-down list (if I click the "All" button, the problem size and memory to use can change from boot to boot, or even from minute to minute). For me, that problem size is 24000.

I used to stick with the stock setting as well. Back with LinX 5.9, I think it already used the max amount from the get-go. When I updated to 6.2, LinX didn't seem to be as good for stability testing as it was before. Each pass took mere seconds compared to before and it wouldn't get my temps anywhere near as high. That's when I saw the problem size was only at 10000, so I moved it way up and sure enough I was running long, hot passes again. I could easily get 4.2GHz stable with 10000 problem size, but I was seeing some throttling (which in turn caused instability) at 24000. The temp difference between the problem sizes was at minimun 2-3*C.

And yes, I have HT enabled.

90 degrees?! :eek:
lol...i new i7s could withstand and operated at higher temps...but 90c?! whoa lol.
yeah, get some ICD7 if you can, and slap on some high cfm, high static pressure fans and that'll sure bring your temps down when you're loading the CPU.

what's the max usable temp they should be running at? eg. like 70c for Core 2 Duos...etc

Well It's still stable, about 40 mins with 15k, which is as much as I can do .. so I'll keep it going :p

just wondering, Metallica, are you overclocking for any particular reason? or just for fun?
i can't help but notice your sig...high end cpu, motherboard, (ram and PSU i guess) then graphics, case, hdd, lcd...you get my drift.
not a gamer i see :p

I use the highest repeatable setting that I can from the drop-down list (if I click the "All" button, the problem size and memory to use can change from boot to boot, or even from minute to minute). For me, that problem size is 24000.

I used to stick with the stock setting as well. Back with LinX 5.9, I think it already used the max amount from the get-go. When I updated to 6.2, LinX didn't seem to be as good for stability testing as it was before. Each pass took mere seconds compared to before and it wouldn't get my temps anywhere near as high. That's when I saw the problem size was only at 10000, so I moved it way up and sure enough I was running long, hot passes again. I could easily get 4.2GHz stable with 10000 problem size, but I was seeing some throttling (which in turn caused instability) at 24000. The temp difference between the problem sizes was at minimun 2-3*C.

And yes, I have HT enabled.

The problem size is dependent upon the available ram as well though. If he boots up his OS with 1gb of ram and only has 3gb available to begin with, he can only use 2gb for LINX, which limits his problem size.

IMO, you can reseat the TRUE until you are blue in the face and it probably won't help temps that much. Even with high end water at that volts you are probably looking at low to mid 80's. The TRUE is very good and will beat low end w/c, but these suckers are hot and there is only so much it can be cooled without extreme measures. The difference in your core temps are exactly the same as mine. :)

90 degrees?! :eek:
lol...i new i7s could withstand and operated at higher temps...but 90c?! whoa lol.
yeah, get some ICD7 if you can, and slap on some high cfm, high static pressure fans and that'll sure bring your temps down when you're loading the CPU.

what's the max usable temp they should be running at? eg. like 70c for Core 2 Duos...etc

I've hit 98c when I was doing some pi runs at 4.6Ghz on stock cooling .. I think 100c is where I wouldn't go .. but maybe I'm crazy haha.

just wondering, Metallica, are you overclocking for any particular reason? or just for fun?
i can't help but notice your sig...high end cpu, motherboard, (ram and PSU i guess) then graphics, case, hdd, lcd...you get my drift.
not a gamer i see :p

haha, I'm not finished with my build atm. I do need to update that sig though, and some has changed. Replaced the HDD with a caviar black, and I have a 9850 512 on the way, as a temp card till the new stuff comes out and I can see some benches with them ;d

Nice OC, what fans/rpms are you using on true.

yate loon high speeds, push/pull .. they push 88cfm I believe.

That's very impressive.

Means a lot coming from you! Thanks man

IMO, you can reseat the TRUE until you are blue in the face and it probably won't help temps that much. Even with high end water at that volts you are probably looking at low to mid 80's. The TRUE is very good and will beat low end w/c, but these suckers are hot and there is only so much it can be cooled without extreme measures. The difference in your core temps are exactly the same as mine. :)

Well, I was messing around with some washers I had, but non of them fit right, so I just stuck it back on without the washers. So the TRUE was slipping around on the IHS for a good 10 mins before I bolted it down .. so I'm sure the paste is all wacked out haha.

I wanna lap the TRUE, get the right washer size, and re apply the thermal paste .. I'me pretty confident my temps will drop a good bit :p

Those are very good temps for air at that speed/vcore, sloppy tim or not, yates 2200 rpms in push pull on true do a really nice job. Before upgrading my watercooling, my i7 at same settings loaded with linx in mid 80's with 3 x 1350 rpm fans, PA 120.3, swiftech GTZ, so not much better than your true. And thanks for posting temps, interesting to see what true can do at higher mhz.

Looks like your true with 2200rpm fans performs almost identical to a 2x120 rad with good fans.

My current water setup performs same as external 3x120 rad or internal 4x120 rad (internal PA120.3 and mcr120... internal rads lose 25-30% performance from air resistance in closed space/case). After upgrading my cooling, 1x120 rad decreased load 1-2C, upgrading to HK 3.0/stronger pump decreased load 2-3C, balancing air intake/exhaust to decrease resistance, 6xGTs push/pull at 1600 rpms on rheostat ~3C less on load, and use external cooler air (push air into case) instead of internal case air to cool rad, ~3-4C less, and direct all exhausted air away from case to prevent heating intake ambients over time with long stress tests, so temps dont rise after first 20 mins or so.

Now, loads in mid 70's using same problem size you have, or at 77-78C with 25000 problem size.

One of the biggest effects I had in upgrading water system was to switch fans to always use external cooler air (3-4C cooler) to cool rads/water instead of internal. I wonder if you could bring air through rear of computer (cool air) or big fan at side with vent directing room temp air directly into intake of true, to get temps lower, and also make sure all exhausted air goes behind a desk or something where can not recirculate into intake, until mixing with huge volume of room air.

The problem size is dependent upon the available ram as well though. If he boots up his OS with 1gb of ram and only has 3gb available to begin with, he can only use 2gb for LINX, which limits his problem size.

Yeah, I know, but that's why I said I use the largest repeatable problem size. I know he only has 3GB of RAM, but even 15000 problem size is better to test at than 10000.

I was able to get 4.6 stable for about 20 mins, but temps got to high, so I had to kill it. 100c is the max I will go ;d after 22 mins is hit 100c and I killed it .. wonder with a lap/washer mod/reseat will do :D

max boot was 221x21 .. which is 4663Mhz .. it goes up a little .. cause it's 221.6 or something like that ;d finally got sub 9 second PI! 8.937 seconds

Back