• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

920 or 940 i7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AresOlSkool

Registered
Looking for a good performing CPU, haven't been doing much research but it seems like the 920 is a good OCer. Would it be better to save the cash and buy a 920 over a 940? Or spend the extra dough and buy a 940?

Just get the 920 D0 stepping it will outperform what a 940 does, you don't benefit from the higher multi this time as heat limits the oc.

Get 920....its just silly to spend more or less double the cash for an extra 300mhz for the 940, which the 920 will easily OC to more than 2.93ghz anyway.

agree with everyone else as I have the 920 and love it. easily overclockable to well past the 940 and much cheaper too.

Ok so were can i get a D0 stepping?Is newegg shipping them yet?How about the microcenter.Im about to order a i7 920 today.If i can get a guaranteed stepping that would be great.I hate doing the newegg crap shoot

I haven't seen anybody confirm sightings of D0's in retail stores. At this point your best bet is waiting until the 14th when Tankguys is going to get some more in stock, but keep in mind you'll be paying a $40+ premium ($80 if you have a microcenter near).

I might go look for one of these D0 920s at Microcenter.

If I can snag one for $200 that might justify building now instead of waiting a few months.

The price at microcenter is back up to $230, but a Tankguys D0 is gonna run you $320...if they don't raise the price even more once they get them back in stock.

To my understanding, in the i7 series, the only real difference is the 965 which has a higher QPI frequency at stock and has a unlocked multi. The 940 and 920 are basically the same except when the 940 has turbo on it goes to a x22 instead of x21. Can someone with a 940 please correct me if I am wrong (don't wanna go spreading falsehoods now do I)

D0 =SLBEJ

I hope thats what i get from newegg but i know it will be a C0.But im not worried about it.The MSI SLI Platinum isnt that great of an overclocker.Ill just find its sweet spot.Hopefully around 3.4/3.6ghz and just run it there like i normally do.

Last edited:
D0 =SLBEJ

I hope thats what i get from newegg but i know it will be a C0.But im not worried about it.The MSI SLI Platinum isnt that great of an overclocker.Ill just find its sweet spot.Hopefully around 3.4/3.6ghz and just run it there like i normally do.

Sadly I to believe that it will be a C0. You should be able ot go as far 3.8ghz with board right? What about it makes it not that overclockable? Maybe you will be good to go with a bios update. Here's hoping.

Sadly I to believe that it will be a C0. You should be able ot go as far 3.8ghz with board right? What about it makes it not that overclockable? Maybe you will be good to go with a bios update. Here's hoping.
Something about 5 phase PWM or something.I know it will be a C0 ..lol But one can hope.:santa:

Lake Norman FTW! I'm right down the road in Concord, and used to live in Maiden, NC.

920 D0 if you can find one, or want to pay the Tank Guys Premium. That or wait a month or so for the D0's to be more common.

Another option: A couple years back I called up every website I could find that was selling X3210's and asked if they could check the sspec. I wanted the new G0 stepping that had just came out. A few checked and 1 guy had some. Might be worth your time if you really want the best bang4$.

Just be nice and let everyone else know where you find them!

Something about 5 phase PWM or something.I know it will be a C0 ..lol But one can hope.:santa:

You only live 5-7miles from MicroCenter, and you ordered from NewEgg for $50 more? Why not at least go look? :bang head

Back